Thread: Connecting two houses, sat i/net

Thanks

Default Connecting two houses, sat i/net

OK I'm on sat internet, activ8. So the phone connection (adsl) is different??!!
    Want to connect 2 houses, approx 120 metres apart.
    From what I understand and after some checking would the Netcomm NP 295ethernet over power be the best setup.
    Or is there a simpler way? Thks

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I've read that ethernet over power is only suitable in the same house or the same electrical phase.

2 house 120 metres apart might be better is you used a couple of wireless bridges.

cheers

Thanks

The houses are on the same elec power board!!?? Was done b4 I bought, 2nd house is really a shed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
    I've read that ethernet over power is only suitable in the same house or the same electrical phase.

2 house 120 metres apart might be better is you used a couple of wireless bridges.

cheers
    Thats what I read as well. Don't mind to try one day.
    I think the signal loss will be very significant at the distance.
    I would go with wireless link. Look at the Netgear RangeMax + access points, they can operate in bridge mode as well as 120 metres shouldn't be a problem for them. Speedwise they are excellent as well.

Thanks

Thanks, but a very stoopid question, (and b4 I race off and buy one).
    I have't had a close look at a router, do they provide connections for my satellite i/net output which is not a normal phone jack but a LAN, RJ-45 port??

Thanks

Depenting of which one you buy,

Generaly the router has several RJ45 sockets, they labeled "WAN" this connection is generaly the going out port, it's used for connecting to the modem for ADSL or in your case the satellite internet port.

The other port are label port1 to port4 you can connect computer to each of these so they also can have internet access.

Then also you have the wireless side that can be configured to connect the boxes wirelessly together or to allow wireless computer to access the internet.

cheers

Thanks

I am using a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54

It has a built in amplifier and running dd-wrt firmware... its a beast...
    i get signal about 100 metres away from home...

Thanks

what you need to do is set up a router for the house with the satellite internet and then connect the sat modem into this, you then need a wireless access point which will connect to your router via a lan cable, mount this in a waterproof box and buy a wireless antenna, mount the antenna on the box with the access point in it and stick the whole lot on your antenna pole, place a second access point at the receiving end and an antenna the same as the transmitting end and run that into a router at the other end, this will allow long range wifi transmission between the two access points.

Thanks

OK so I bought the Buff router WBMR-G300N and a Buff adapter for the laptop. Also took nearly three weeks for delivery!!
    The router is up and running on the desktop PC, all ok.
    Now with the laptop, it says it is connected, but when I type in an URL, it searches and comes back with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."
    Have tried this several times.
    Have also phoned Buff assistance 4 times and just got shafted, (overseas call centre!?) or disconnected or no response and that's after 1/2 hour on the phone.
    Would you believe that Skype works ok....
    If anybody can give me a clue, much appreciated, of course haven't yet sent them an email......
    Have also setup a profile which seemed to process ok.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spider98 View Post
    If anybody can give me a clue, much appreciated.
    Sure we can .
    Check in your remote connection AP DNS configuration. The problem as you describe is most likely caused by no DNS specified.
    Generally you were supposed to configure your main router LAN address as a DNS address in the wireless AP.
    Hope it helps, otherwise post here your configurations as IP addresses, static or dynamic, etc.

Thanks

Well, Buff tech are hopeless. Finally got through on the phone and after 15 mins, the bloke (in chicago) said he'd have to consult with the other staff, after 10 minuts , he didn't come back.
    Mainly, on my desktop pc (running xp) he got me to type in a gateway 192.168.11.1 that resulted in 'not finding a webpage"
    So did a cmp prompt with ipconfig with result default gateway 192.168.5.100.
    He asked me to do a url with that gateway, the search didn't give a suitable result.
    On my remote I have gone into the properties of my connection and under the tcp etc bit have ticked the boxes for auto dns.
    OK 'fromaron' how do I "configure your main router LAN address as a DNS address in the wireless AP".
    As I said my remote laptop says it is connected and it is connected, I can use skpe, well their test call works ok.

OK aufr

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spider98 View Post
    On my remote I have gone into the properties of my connection and under the tcp etc bit have ticked the boxes for auto dns.
    OK 'fromaron' how do I "configure your main router LAN address as a DNS address in the wireless AP".
    If it is in auto dns, I assume you have dynamic IP selected for your wireless gadget, you don't need to setup the router IP. It's more for static IPs arrangement which a lot of people preferred way of configuring network anyway.

Thanks

Default Use a wireless brudge link to link houses

Here is how I would do it:

This is equivalent to the following:

- digging up the ground and laying LAN/CAT5 cable between the two buildings
    - joining the new cable to the existing LAN via a LAN switch.

Speeds: 22 Mbps (real world - eg ftp file transfer).

Regards

Rob

Disclaimer: store.freenet-antennas.com is my store.

Thanks

i have one of those ethernet over power things here, never used it. Maybe one day i'll give it a test run and write a review on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mate View Post
    i have one of those ethernet over power things here, never used it. Maybe one day i'll give it a test run and write a review on it.
    mmmate, that we be very handy as I am considering buying some atm, having wireless connectivity problems inside house.

can you like do this, say over the weekend, buy you an internet beer if you do