Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good news from government

Thanks

Default good news from government

Well it is good for me and people in my area, the rest of you will probably find an way to whinge
    Julia was in town this morning and apart from ducking in the back door to hide from coal seam gas protestors she announced 470billion to go into the repair of roads in Ipswich and Lockyer Valley after the devasting floods we had. We certainly need it, those who live here and those that have visited recently will have seen that a good 80% of the roads that were affected have been band aid fixed at best since local councils are screwed after the floods. Only the majors have been repaired to any sort of normality.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ozchips View Post
    Well it is good for me and people in my area, the rest of you will probably find an way to whinge
    Julia was in town this morning and apart from ducking in the back door to hide from coal seam gas protestors she announced 470billion to go into the repair of roads in Ipswich and Lockyer Valley after the devasting floods we had. We certainly need it, those who live here and those that have visited recently will have seen that a good 80% of the roads that were affected have been band aid fixed at best since local councils are screwed after the floods. Only the majors have been repaired to any sort of normality.

I think with 470 billion you would be getting autobahns but the 470 million is sorely needed...good news indeed

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

When i read the thread title i though Julia may have announced that she was about to fall on her sword (or pushed onto it Kevin Rudd style).

$470 Billion announcement?

Did any of you ask where she found that money because i certainly dont have any to spare.

Thanks

presumably it's from the Flood Tax, so I've been putting a few bucks in for both WA and Qld.

Carnarvon was left off the original deal but will now get compensated.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I presumed that was wrong, we aint that rich

Thanks

That's great to hear, as someone who works in local government, the floods that went through would have potentially bankrupted the local councils, as road infrastructure would be the biggest ticket item.

Unfortunately the Federal government doesn't have any choice but to spend the funds - as Councils going bust is something they want to avoid, although I gather Julia's new tax will cover this, even if it was in billions
    Last edited by porkchops; 21-07-11 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Spelling - damn locked down corporate PC!
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

lol yeah sorry cut that original figure by a shitload, 470mil

Thanks

Maybe the slut will fix the Ipswich Motorway while shes at it after the absolute abortion Kevin made of the road... Seriously Chippy how many times has the Labor imbecile come to Ipswich and promised road money a few months before the State election. My brain hurts just thinking about it.

Nothing Julia says or does will stop the dog faced mole Blight from getting the arse at the next election. Maybe Blight will be forced to spend the few hundred million she is still withholding from the poor bastards that lost everything in the floods on the roads as Julia will never get that much from selling her assets....

BTW the birds are chirping down at George Street and the cry from the chicks is of a mid to late November election... Lets see how correct the cries are

Thanks

this government at both the state and federal level are nothing but crooks. you see how they attempt to make it out as if they are spending the dollars out of the goodness of their hearts.. haha. this is all flood levy money. money we paid to the government to cater for a NATURAL disaster that it should have known was coming, and set aside funds for. insurance? well no, who needs that they say! haha. then why the time comes to react to the flood they spend a million here a million there. collect DONATIONS from everybody and various collection agencies and pool it into the premiers disaster relief fund WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOVERNMENT! then when time comes to pay out, we get this 'oh the government' is giving this that and the other. well NO it isnt, it is just passing on OUR donations. this next step of road funding is what we should expect them to claim grace for, yet it is once again OUR money but this time an involuntary donation ie TAX, which is only needed to balance blighs books.

ie this thread is about rejoycing that the government has PROMISED to spend the funds that they collected under the premise that they collected them for..

be happy everyone they say they are telling the truth. haha.

*tm- of course funding may change at next election if that nasty coalition gain power, so make sure you act now to make sure your funds are spent the way we promised** they would.

**- this is a real promise this time. we said we didnt want a carbon tax, but we really meant to say an ets***.

***- to be updated shortly, as long as we stay in power, so make sure we do!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mobihci View Post
    ie this thread is about rejoycing that the government has PROMISED to spend the funds that they collected under the premise that they collected them for..

be happy everyone they say they are telling the truth. haha.
    This is what worries me mobihci.

I don't mind paying a few dollars out of my pay each fortnight, to assist in rebuilding etc, but worries me most is "WHO" is going administering the money.

And will "they" be accountable?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mobihci View Post
    government to cater for a NATURAL disaster that it should have known was coming, and set aside funds for. insurance?
    who know when disasters are coming, especially ones of the scale of that one? what a ridiculous thing to say.

Thanks

because it has happened in the past, as had the preceding drought. the ridiculous position to take is that these thing will not happen again, and within our lifetimes. 1841, 1893 were larger events, even 1974 was larger in most respects, so why presume we would never see these conditions again, and not insure our infrastructure against it. if it costs more for the insurance as the state government propose, then why in the hell do they claim to need more money when the event does happen..

Thanks

The title lead me to believe the thread had promise. Alas herein I find no news of Juliars sudden heart attack.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

Thanks

so are you saying that the government itself should have insurance against disasters ?
    I did just write something entirley different, however i deleted in case my interpretation of your post is incorrect.

Thanks

so are you saying that the government itself should have insurance against disasters ?
    I did just write something entirley different, however i deleted in case my interpretation of your post is incorrect.
    I wander, how much will the premium be to insure the whole country from the natural disasters?

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Dont hold your breath!!!

Thanks

Smell like insurance tax to me, be the time to buy some insurance company shares for long prosperity

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    The title lead me to believe the thread had promise. Alas herein I find no news of Juliars sudden heart attack.
    The only problem with that scenerio is that Wayne Swan would be PM & Bob the shirtlifter would still be running the show.

I would rather Bob Brown drop dead of a heart attack.
    Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

• The Following User Says Thank You to xnavyman For This Useful Post:

mborkp (24-07-11)

Thanks

answered in prewious post.
    Last edited by mborkp; 24-07-11 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks

Queensland is the only major state not to have insured public assets with a comprehensive disaster cover obtained on the international reinsurance market.

Julia Gillard today dismissed the state's lack of insurance cover as a matter for Queensland.

But without it, Queensland falls back on a long-standing arrangement for the commonwealth to pay three quarters of the damage bill.

Independent senator Nick Xenophon said Queensland, which was prone to regular floods and cyclones, should be required to have disaster cover.

If it had, the federal government wouldn't have had to find billions to pay for the damage.

“Insurance is one of those expenses that everyone hates paying but you know that when you eventually come to needing it, it was well worth it,” Senator Xenophon said.

“That the Queensland government did not recognise this is irresponsible.”
    as the article says, the state government thought that the insurance costed more than what it was insuring against, which is fine. i understand that situation, but when you say that, you MUST have money put aside for the event, not just cry poor whaen it does actually happen.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast