Thread: Ku Dish on brick wall

Thanks

Default Ku Dish on brick wall

Hi, I have just bought 65cm ku dish with wall mount similar to this. Its for D2 and possibly add more lnb's in the future.

Can someone tell me what screws I need for this? I am guessing dynabolt, double expansion anchor or plastic anchor. Also do I need to drill hole on bricks or its best to drill on mortar (in between bricks) as long as it is safe? Are dynabolts safe for bricks cos they expand when tighten? Not sure if there is electrical wiring I need to worry about when drilling.

Cheers
    Last edited by ozbing; 25-07-11 at 12:56 AM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

just 4 dynabolts into the bricks will do the trick.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Dynabolts.

Always drill into bricks, never mortar.

Thanks

I agree with LeroyPatrol and mtv. Always put dynabolts into the bricks. The mortar is soft and with strong winds the dynabolts can be pulled out quite easy. I personaly prefer to use anks screws. Each to their own.
    Blown Humax 5400Z, Strong SRT 4658X, Strong 4663X and DM 518.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozbing View Post
    Hi, I have just bought 65cm ku dish with wall mount similar to this. Its for D2 and possibly add more lnb's in the future.

Can someone tell me what screws I need for this? I am guessing dynabolt, double expansion anchor or plastic anchor. Also do I need to drill hole on bricks or its best to drill on mortar (in between bricks) as long as it is safe? Are dynabolts safe for bricks cos they expand when tighten? Not sure if there is electrical wiring I need to worry about when drilling.

Cheers
    Don't drill right through the bricks, just long enough for your'e dynabolt.
    Bricks are 110mm wide so a 75mm dynabolt would do the job and definetly not into the mortar.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I am not sure if its solid brick. What if the brick is hollow like this. In that case I guess it will drill into brick "cylinders". Is it safe to drill? I guess it won't have good grip with hollow bricks and might crack. Forgot to mention this. Also its veneer brick (one layer).

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes, you'll probably drill into the hollow.... not a problem.

You'll only need short dynabolts... about 40-50mm.

Even with double-brick, you'd still only be anchoring into the outer layer, the same as brick veneer.

No problem whatsoever supporting a 65cm dish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Various brick and wall fastening.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbing View Post
    Thanks everyone. I am not sure if its solid brick. What if the brick is hollow like this. In that case I guess it will drill into brick "cylinders". Is it safe to drill? I guess it won't have good grip with hollow bricks and might crack. Forgot to mention this. Also its veneer brick (one layer).

G'Day Cobber,
    Seriously consider some of these products for hollow brick, as otherwise the brick will crumble.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

ozbing (26-07-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Yes, you'll probably drill into the hollow.... not a problem.

You'll only need short dynabolts... about 40-50mm.

Even with double-brick, you'd still only be anchoring into the outer layer, the same as brick veneer.

No problem whatsoever supporting a 65cm dish.
    Totally agree with this advice - use dynabolts as they are by far the best solution. Don't drill your holes too near the edge of the brick as this will prevent the brick from fracturing.

Thanks

Hope its not hollow brick. The cylinders might be just 20mm away from the edge which might crack open if tighten too much.

This is rented place so I hope it won't crack open. If done in mortar they can be reparable as you just need to fill it with mortar but as others said its not strong enough to hold it tight. If breaking brick worries me too much, I might have to go with pole dug into the ground which is where the plants are. It may not look nice to install where the plants are but thats the other options I have which is again within easy reach unlike on the roof.

Thanks

Min at post 4 is spot on, they are about 2 bucks each retail and do not stress the brick as they screw in rather than expanding, also can be unscrewed when moving house.

50mm long by 6mm should be adequate

As you drill into the brick you will feel the hollow space then keep going a bit more.

In soft older bricks I drill right through the brick into the wall cavity and use 100mm bolts

Administrator
    Thanks

Bricks have been made with hollows for decades, so chances are yours will be too.

I've lost count of the number of brick wall installations I've done with dynabolts and never cracked a brick yet.

As mentioned, don't place bolts close to the edge and you should be fine.

If it's a rental property and you intend to remove the dish mount when you leave, a wall mount isn't a good option as it will leave holes/embedded bolts and probably a discoloured mark where the mount has been.

A pole in the ground can easily be removed, even if there is a bit of concrete below the dirt surface securing it.

Gutter mounts for tiled roofs can be removed without obvious evidence of having been there and even tin mounts if you're careful.

Banned
    Thanks

Hi I've been in the Building industry for almost all of my life, the advise I gave you is sound advise if your not happy with that then follow the other suggestions the others have given you. toyboy11

Thanks

Dynabolts, screw bolts, anka screws etc, are all suitable as long as they are used correctly. personally, I wouldn't use the bracket you have selected. The mounting holes are too close for the forces to be imposed bt the dish under wind load, and also if the wall you are mounting on is way off from being perpendicular to the satellite being received you could have some trouble in aligning without the dish hitting the dricks. I'd rather use a "D" wall mount with the side extension arm instead. As MTV suggested, put a pole in the ground..... Or mount a pipe/pole with a couple of pipe brackets to the fence if its temporary.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

As much as everyone is advising to drill into the brick and i totally agree with everyone on that, what i would do is drill into the mortar seeing as its a rental property so you can repair the damage before you leave.

Remember a KU dish and mount is light, the mortar will not give if you don't over-tighten the dyna bolts.

Just dont drill into the top row mortar as the brick will lift as it was no weight or support from brick above it.

Id hate to be a landlord inspecting my property and finding holes in the brickwork....

Maybe ask your landlord for permission first, if OK then drill into the bricks, no OK and your persistent, drill into the mortar so you can repair it when leaving.

Administrator
    Thanks

Although the dish and mount may not have a great deal of weight, even a 65cm dish can have significant wind loading.

A decent gust of wind could easily see the bolts being ripped out of mortar.

The dish plus the mount then becomes a dangerous projectile.

I would strongly advise against mounting any dish bracket into mortar.

There have been other altenative mouting solutions mentioned, particularly with rental properties in mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Dyna bolts are designed to lock into concrete and mortar and hold well, the concern is when over tightening them the stress put against the bricks can cause a cracking wall along the mortar line.

A dish will not pull out if tensioned correctly and the correct spreading type dyna bolt used.

The reason for using the brick as a anchor point is it wont split or give as easily as the mortar and a brick is better anchored into the mortar however if a Spatec, Trubolt or Sleeve anchor dyna bolt is used which spreads its load outwards (not the Ancascrew shown in Min's pic above) it should not loosen with loads on it from mortar slightly giving way.

Ive been called to repair a Cband installation where a brick wall had cracked from carrying the loads on the mortar line, the weight and forces of that load did not pull out the bolts, the wall cracked along the mortar line then the bolts popped out.

Needless to say a light KU band dish with 4 spreader type dyna bolts in the mortar line will not crack the wall unless they are overtightened or near the top row of bricks that have no weight bearing down on them to avoid the mortar cracking.

Again i agree with using the brick to hold, but if its a rental.....
    Last edited by Godzilla; 29-07-11 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

These types of brackets are used everywhere in Europe and they have wind over there as well :P I see no issue with using one at all.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS