Thread: PVR, Media-center, HTPC capable of channel like broadcast?

Thanks

Default PVR, Media-center, HTPC capable of channel like broadcast?

Is there such a thing, be it a HTPC, media-center etc. which is capable of broadcast-like programming via user created channels?

A traditional media center solution, and one that is currently commercially available, allows the user to navigate to say HDD based media like \Mythbusters and select an episode (file) to play. These traditionally, will play all eps in a directory to conclusion.

I'm looking for something different, that emulates a cable box or sat receiver, where Channel 1 might be the "Mythbusters" channel. When channel 1 is selected, a stream is readily playing an episode from within \Mythbusters and continually streaming content regardless if the directory has been navigated away from. There could be 100 episodes of a given TV show, and when the channel is selected might be playing S03e11 and six hours later might be at S04e05. Point is, content is always rolling (or the system has a way to time point where it might be, 8 seconds or 8 hours from last channel access, & run/start the stream accordingly).

In this way, a little faux subscription service could be created, and programming totally automated with internet and sickbeard integration. Further, a person could emulate a channel like E! with favourite shows auto-downloading to /E! and so on.

More specifically, I'm looking at a solution for kids programming - eg 20 channels, Channel 1 Dora, Channel 2 The Backyardigans and have the implementation simple enough that I can place a remote in the hand of a 5 year old and have them Channel Up/Down without supervision.

Ideas, anyone? Sounds like a fun project. I'd only be pushing content around the house, no streaming over the net or sharing outside (which presumably would require super fast net and be a logistical nightmare).

th37sk

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Try

*Edit... Wow i just noticed the date. Probably got yours sorted by now.
    Last edited by Crootie; 12-02-12 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Date