Thread: iPad Wifi Adapter

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default iPad Wifi Adapter

The missus has a Wifi only Ipad and she is winging at me about not having access to 3G wireless.

She does not need the 3G internet access often as we mostly have access to wifi internet.

I was wondering what users here know about Wifi "Hot Spot" devices that can take a 3G wireless service and produce a local hot spot.

After doing some Google searching it looks like there are some devices out there like the Netcomm Myzone device... there is even something listed on ebay... cheap chinese job?

Any Recommendations?

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by checkitout View Post
    The missus has a Wifi only Ipad and she is winging at me about not having access to 3G wireless.

She does not need the 3G internet access often as we mostly have access to wifi internet.

I was wondering what users here know about Wifi "Hot Spot" devices that can take a 3G wireless service and produce a local hot spot.

After doing some Google searching it looks like there are some devices out there like the Netcomm Myzone device... there is even something listed on ebay... cheap chinese job?

Any Recommendations?

The Huawei E585 is a good choice, two versions available depending which provider you want to use as to which is best, $40 or $80 depending which one you need

Thanks

Instead of getting another device to carry and pay for another plan or sim card, check first whether or not her existing mobile can be used as a hotspot via BT or WiFi. If not, I'd be upgrading that to something that can be.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Instead of getting another device to carry and pay for another plan or sim card, check first whether or not her existing mobile can be used as a hotspot via BT or WiFi. If not, I'd be upgrading that to something that can be.
    This just what i do, i turn on the iphone "hotspot" and link my wifi only ipad via the iphone, i have a plan that gives me 2gig a month. Works as good as 3G can work.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

Fantastic little unit, mine goes everywhere

Thanks

The Wi-Fi hotspot thing works for iPhone 4 out of the box, but if you have a 3G or 3GS you need to jailbreak and use some software such as MiWi with automatic bluetooth tethering, which works great, that's how I browse on my iPad, saving paying twice for data.
    Androids will do it also, from what I know.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Good Point - The missus has an clam shell type of mobile phone - No internet data access.

To tell you the truth unless the internet data access is a freebee from the carrier (not likely of course) I do not want to open up the internet data access on the mobile phone.

More likely I would get a pre-paid wireless data service for those times when she does need it e.g. project special meetings for work etc.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    The Huawei E585 is a good choice, two versions available depending which provider you want to use as to which is best, $40 or $80 depending which one you need
    This looks good - How does one know which is the better unit ? Is the one listed on ebay below the better unit... what is the difference between the two?

Thanks

This was by far the best reply.

The cost of another device and SIM/contract or plan is soon negated by just upgrading the current phone to something more current and less of the cheap pre-pay style things.