Thread: Blue screen message!!

Thanks

Default Blue screen message!!

I've recently reformatted my HD, installed a new version Win vista business.
    All runs ok except nearly everytime I use it the PC hangs up with....
    A blue screen
    A problem detected....
    APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

etc etc
    then goes on about tech info and doing a crash dump.

I have to do a restart to get the thing going.
    Any clues, I guess I will reinstall Win.....

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Any other history?... ie was it working 100% ok before? Any hardware or software changes? How much ram do you have?

Run the Memory Diagnostics Tool on Vista to see if the memory is corrupted. To configure this tool:

a. Close all applications.
    b. Click on the Start button and in the Search field, type “Memory Diagnostics Tool”.
    c. Choose what type of tests you want to run from the options provided.
    d. Choose the cache setting for each test and the pass count ( number of times to repeat each test)
    e. Set it to run immediately and follow the prompts. Computer restarts.
    f. If the tool finds memory errors, it reports it immediately.

Thanks

Have just done the Mem Diag Tool.
    It didn't give me any options, it just started.
    It did one test 100%, then as I watched it approach 98% of second test, the pc did a reboot back to win vista.
    Will do it again....

Thanks

Woops, a small window bottom right hand corner says 'no mem probs'

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Just a long shot I have had a lot of memory problems in the past
    and a quick test is to make sure they are seated properly in there slots
    All i do is take the case off, boot the computer into dos mode, and i just wiggle the memory sticks and see if it crashes the computer, easy telling just by hitting the number lock key and looking for the light to go off and on
    If it does freeze just take out the sticks of ram and give the contacts a polish
    with a eraser/rubber the ink side of it and clean the dust around the memory sockets on the mother board

This is very common fault for me as the salt air does attack these gold contacts on the ram sticks and thus gives you the blue screen

Worth a try LOL

good luck
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Hi,

APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

Usually caused by,

1) Lack of RAM
    2) Lack of hard drive space
    3) Bad drivers

To Fix.

1. Verify that all your hardware is compatible with the Vista operating system.

2. Verify that all the software updates are installed for the current Operating system as well as on all device drivers and external third party software on the system.

3. If this error showed up when the computer was restarting, go to Step 8. If the computer was operating normally when this error occurred, then continue to Step 4.

4. Check the “Problem Reports and Solutions” page or VISTA. Click on Start->Control Panel->System and Maintenance->Problem Reports and Solutions. This facility searches online for device driver updates and solutions to problems caused by external hardware or software.

5. If the error appears during restart (and the restart is successful in spite of the error) , set the Windows Memory Diagnostic to get more details about the problems during restart. Then go to Step 8.

a. Click on Start->All Programs->Accessories. Right-click on Command-Prompt and choose “Run as administrator”
    b. Enter mdshed.exe at the command prompt. Schedule the tool to run at the next restart.

6. Run the Memory Diagnostics Tool on Vista to see if the memory is corrupted. This is a very useful application that can detect memory errors during restarts. To configure this tool:

a. Close all applications.
    b. Click on the Start button and in the Search field, type “Memory Diagnostics Tool”.
    c. Choose what type of tests you want to run from the options provided.
    d. Choose the cache setting for each test and the pass count ( number of times to repeat each test)
    e. Set it to run immediately and follow the prompts. Computer restarts.
    f. If the tool finds memory errors, it reports it immediately.

7. Try to restore the system to a previous restore point. Click on the Windows Start button and type “System Restore” into the Search field. The System Restore application comes up. Choose a restore point and continue to restore system.

8. Try to restart the computer again. If you cannot restart it using the mouse or keyboard options, shut down the computer by pressing down the manual Power button for a few seconds. When the computer has completely shut down, press the button again to restart the computer.

9. As the computer restarts, press and hold the F8 key before the Windows Logo appears.

10. Use the arrow keys to select “Repair the computer” in the “Advanced Boot Options” menu.

11. Choose a keyboard layout and login using username and password. You will need administrator password if it is set on the system. If you have never set it, then just click on “Continue”.

12. Choose Startup Repair from the menu for “System Recovery Options”. The Startup Repair process will try to repair the computer.

13. If this does not solve the problem, check the CD-ROM driver and try to install another one. Open up the chassis and check the motherboard. Reseat the memory chips. Check the power supply. If you have testing equipment for the hardware, use them to detect any hardware malfunctions.

14. If none of the above works, you may have to reformat the drive and re-install the operating system

Hope this is of some help.

Also try Google.