Thread: Tuning And Dish Alignment With VAST Box - Made Easy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Default Tuning And Dish Alignment With VAST Box - Made Easy

Update re: tuning VAST decoder.

I've been reliably informed there is a new feature coming which makes it very simple to set up a dish and check signal, even without scanning first.

Even gives you approx azimuth, elevation and skew settings once you enter your approx location.

I've just tested this on the trial unit and it's brilliant.... no need for a separate box for tuning.

This has changed the UEC box from being an absolute mongrel to tune for travellers, to making it extremely easy!

Well done UEC!

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bodgie (24-08-11),dstudd (20-08-11),Godzilla (24-08-11),gordon_s1942 (19-08-11),Min (24-08-11),OSIRUS (19-08-11),Rodnic (24-08-11),sat 49 (25-08-11),Smacca (25-08-11),stuballs (24-08-11),Tiny (19-08-11),toyboy11 (19-08-11),tristen (24-08-11),weirdo (19-08-11)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

That sounds fantastic mtv. Do you know where I can grab a copy of the firmware to try this out?
    'bec

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

UEC havent released it yet by reading MTV's post above, he had for want of a better term, the 'Beta' version for evaluation only.
    Like everything associated with VAST and UEC, I am sure it will be available 'SOOOOON'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca22 View Post
    That sounds fantastic mtv. Do you know where I can grab a copy of the firmware to try this out?
    'bec
    'bec,

Unfortunately that firmware isn't available publicly yet, only for official trials.

Even if I sent it to you, it won't work on the 'in-field' decoders, only the decoders specifically setup for the trial.

There's a 'final' firmware version under trial now and it's expected it will be the version that will be released publicly, which I'm advised will be.. yep, you guessed it..... sooooon!

I expect the PVR option will be released at the same time.

When released, the firmware will be available as an OTA upgrade, or can be downloaded from the UEC website.

Hang in there guys... it's been a long wait, but it's nearly over and a lot of work has been put into making improvements and adding features to the VAST box.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (24-08-11)

Thanks

Default New to the Forum

As a traveler, this is great news. Setting up each day can be a challenge particularly with a basic Sat finder. Only thing is you may need to be able to see the TV screen from where the dish is - sometimes this may not be possible...then I guess SWMBO can relay what she sees.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chum View Post
    As a traveler, this is great news. Setting up each day can be a challenge particularly with a basic Sat finder. Only thing is you may need to be able to see the TV screen from where the dish is - sometimes this may not be possible...then I guess SWMBO can relay what she sees.
    Unless you have some other type of display (eg: professional meter, laptop with tuner, etc, you still need to see the screen connected to your decoder to optimise the signals.

The satfinder will find the satellite, but won't know which one and it only measures signal strength.. of every transponder on the satellite, all at the same time. So to be able to fine-tune signals from a specific transponder, in particular adjusting the LNB skew, you need to be able to see the screen whilst you are making adjustments to the dish/LNB.

This applies to any satellite service, not just VAST.

If you are fortunate enough to have someone whi is reliabe at relaying whay they see on the screen whilst you make dish/LNB adjustments..... bonus!

If you can see the screen (or someone helping you can) I reckon the new dish alignment feature in the UEC VAST box will do away with the need to use a satfinder.... it's that good!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (25-08-11),toyboy11 (25-08-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    If you are fortunate enough to have someone whi is reliabe at relaying whay they see on the screen whilst you make dish/LNB adjustments..... bonus!
    From my experience, that only causes heated arguments

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    From my experience, that only causes heated arguments
    lol....yep... usually better if you can do the dish alignment yourself.

Let's face it... you're gonna get the blame anyway if it doesn't work .... regardless of how much 'assistance' you had.
    Last edited by mtv; 26-08-11 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks

A little help with dish alignment.
    I have a portable system in the motorhome and I always used the "ebay" magnetic compass to set north. I would put a "T" on the ground with sticks or a scratch and set one of the legs of the trypod north along the T.
    Worked OK, but the compass is easily influenced by the metal of the trypod. I have upgraded to a phone App. compass.. marvelous.. not influenced by anything at all as it works off the GPS... So, set skew, set elevation and rotate the dish. All very easy now.