Thread: CCTV Training

Thanks

Default CCTV Training

I am trying to gather up-to-date information on CCTV systems, to allow me to update the workbooks we use in class now.

The current books are 10 years old now, and do not have any digital information in them. And yes, it is a very daunting task, but that's why I am paid the big bucks...

While it is good to hear from others in the industry, I probably need to restrict the information to that which is:
    1. Technical
    2. Current
    3. Relevant
    covering subjects such as:
    1. HDTV
    2. IPTV
    3. Analogue vs Digital
    4. Compression
    5. Storage
    6. Installation Best Practices.
    7. Transmission

I would like to have permission to use any information I get. You will probably be acknowledged in the book(s) when finished. Photos included.

It would also be good if you could suggest fairly recent books that might assist in this.

The TAFE I work in has been training security electronics apprentices since 1998, so it is something we need to have.

I would be pleased to discuss this further, either here or privately.

Please contribute!

Robert Wickstead
    Box Hill TAFE
    (03) 9286 9868
    r.wickstead@bhtafe.edu.au
    Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Thumbs down

At the risk of sounding like an arshole there is nothing that shits me more than someone who gets "the big bucks" wanting others to do their work for them for nothing more than "a mention in the book".
    How about you give me the big bucks & you get the mention in the book.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

DUDE (24-08-11),Godzilla (24-08-11),secure (25-08-11)

Thanks

heel watchdoggy heel

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bss904 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (24-08-11),Robert Wickstead (25-08-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

I'm all for sharing knowledge. I will post things I have put together for your perusal and that of the forum members.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

BoxHill TAFE......let me first get my Violin out.

Thats the place my son went to get what he thought was a education, we got him out of there quick fast enough and transferred him into a real school with real teachers who know their stuff.

You would think with all the HECS fees collected the place would be a little more professional....and teachers would roll up to class occasionally....and once there actually teach and not tell students its in the book, look it up.

Not a place that i or my son have fond memories of.

I only hope the information intelligeorge shares with you will be put to good use and that your actually one of the few professionals there.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 24-08-11 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks

Give the guy a break ffs, trying to be proactive and you guys cut him down, if you read what he says he is trying to update content they use to educate students. You might find Robert that people won't share info to try and protect their own interests. We have an experienced guy in SA who was meant to train people in CCTV and grow the CCTV side but was so keen to protect his own interest he got made redundant because he didn't bring the work in, but still thinks we will fold without him. Hahahaha, good riddance. What I have found in life is EVERYONE is replaceable, good luck with your little project mate.

Pelco your one stop shop. Do a bit of research there or just google cctv, look on youtube for tutorials - some good ones there,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJISoxm43I&feature=related"]CCTV Lenses Tutorial 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Youtube has plenty of Pelco tutorials, why do a book report when can watch the movie
    Last edited by Lonewolf; 25-08-11 at 12:45 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:

Robert Wickstead (25-08-11)

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Maybe if he just said "I'm a tech teacher & trying to update our course notes" he would get my attention. However he found it important to make sure everyone knows he's "on the big bucks" for some reason & that he's compiling a book (probably resulting in a star on the forehead & even more big bucks). Doesn't come across as the type I have a lot of time for.

Thanks

Default Cctv

Thanks for all the "support" I am receiving on this. Obviously, there are some in the industry that just don't understand the TAFE system in Victoria (the most under-financed TAFE in Australia, the lowest paid TAFE teachers in Australia, etc.) nor do they understand the concept of technical training. I also get a bit annoyed over people hiding behind "nom-de-plumes", rather than proudly identifying with trying to upgrade the industry.

Victoria also has a very sub-standard licensing system: NO TECHNICAL TRAINING REQUIRED! One only needs to have a fairly clean police record and 'Voila': a Security License is issued. This is going to really complicate things when there is a National Recognition system in place, and Victorians that do not have any technical qualifications will not be allowed to work interstate. But this is a separate subject, probably worthy of my "supporters' to take on.

The "Big Bucks" comment was made very much 'tongue-in-cheek'. If I really did earn the big bucks, I wouldn't need to do this job, nor spend a lot of energy trying to develop a training manual for the industry.

Perhaps the noisy people out there can bother themselves a bit and come in to visit with us and gather first-hand information as to what we are trying to do here with the resources available to us.

Or perhaps I just need to ignore this entire forum and go back to working exclusively with the suppliers. Tough call.

Robert
    Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert Wickstead For This Useful Post:

TTENNEB (25-08-11)

Thanks

Some of the installers out there dont understand how difficult it is to develop training material (especially when the stuff they have to work with in the first place is so outdated).

Kudos to Rob for getting out there and trying to get the opinion of "professionals" in the industry only to be shut down by forum members. Anyone that didn't pick up on the tongue in cheek comment obviously doesn't understand the poor state our education system is in. Guessing alot of his work will also be done outside normal paid working hours.

PS, Proud BHIT graduate!

• The Following User Says Thank You to TTENNEB For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TTENNEB View Post
    only to be shut down by forum members. !
    Well it's really only TWO forum members. One with first hand knowledge of BHIT & me. I'll take a step back & enter into the dialogue. Questions -
    1) Have the parameters for the course been developed by someone else or is that up to you?
    2)Is it competency based or knowledge based?
    3) How is the pass/fail determined, through a final exam or a set number of units
    5) Does RPL come into it & how is it determined?
    6) Is the CCTV a seperate course or just a unit ?
    7) What are the units the course encompases?

Thanks

What a pack of TOOLS!!!

Mate if your looking for the best CCTV info look no further than a book called "CCTV" by Vlado Damjonovski - sheesh but those tools who commented are the same ones who complain that no one is trained enough

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I am surprised so many people took the "big bucks" comment the wrong way. I know SFA about the security industry, but I do know Victorian teachers get paid crap and that it was a "tongue in cheek" comment.

All the poster is trying to do is update the standard of whats being taught so that you (employers) will be able to employ new people that have some sort of clue rather than ones that wouldnt know if their arse was on fire. Realistically, its to your own (and your industries) benefit.

But if your not interested, there is no need to comment attacking anyone. Just dont complain when you get under trained people

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Arbiter (10-10-11)

Thanks

I can now see why victoria is way behind the rest of the country, instead of shitting on him why not help him. the tongue in cheek comment was really missed by most.

I guess that because it is a TAFE then it would follow the the same rules else where in the state and the standards used for examinations etc would be the same. However it looks like there needs to be a major shake up for the whole system.

Actually TAFE's right across the country suffer because of the dinosaurs that run them.

Although I have seen some like Godzilla has said that need to be kicked in the arse to perform, but on the other hand pay them.

Thanks

Listen up SecTechs - Rob has been in the industry at least as long as I have.
    We go back as far as the old Ness/SAMAIS days and trying to provide security solutions when there weren't any.
    I too am a graduate of BHIT, albeit 30 years ago (Hiya Bob Sloan).
    It is in the best interests of us all and our industry to help Rob keep his training relevent and as up to date as possible.
    Remember, old Techs never die, especially when they pass on their years of experience to the new breed of Top Guns.

Thanks

Rob,
    Look up HD SDI.
    Its about to hit in a big way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCman View Post
    Look up HD SDI. Its about to hit in a big way.
    Has Todd been in your ear too?

Looks good on paper, but whats the take-up so far?

The IP Video horse has bolted internationally a long time ago so SDI will be in catch up mode atm. The only advantage I see is in emerging markets such as ours where IP video is only beginning to kick off here meaning that legacy cctv installations can be retro-fit for HD-SDI or HDcctv with minimal effort.

Another thing to look up is "" there will be an explosion on the market when the NBN is in place.
    Last edited by intelliGEORGE; 19-11-11 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    there will be an explosion on the market when the NBN is in place.
    Could be as soon as June 2021 for some people, assuming no government stuff-ups. Care to make that assumption?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    Could be as soon as June 2021 for some people, assuming no government stuff-ups. Care to make that assumption?
    Keyword in my comment was "when", lol.