Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Good the Bad and the Ugly PC shops

Thanks

PCDIY are in Box Hill. I just checked their prices and they are not bad, it's a shame i don't live closer to them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joezep View Post
    PCDIY are in Box Hill. I just checked their prices and they are not bad, it's a shame i don't live closer to them.

MSY didn't close that store they moved it to a bigger location in Mitcham, the Mitcham store is much better than the cramped Box Hill one. They are near the footbridge on Whitehorse rd.

I went to PCDIY a couple of years ago but their prices were a bit out compared to MSY. Might try them this time around.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinger View Post
    MSY didn't close that store they moved it to a bigger location in Mitcham, the Mitcham store is much better than the cramped Box Hill one. They are near the footbridge on Whitehorse rd.

I went to PCDIY a couple of years ago but their prices were a bit out compared to MSY. Might try them this time around.

Pretty sure Mitcham was already there. Anyway they were losing out to pcdiy as they had the same or better pricing and far better customer service.
    I've spent quite a bit with them now and they've always matched or bettered any pricing that was higher.
    Disclaimer
    Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Use only as directed. Apply only to affected area.
    If condition persists, consult your physician. Subject to change without notice. Please remain seated until the ride has
    come to a complete stop. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. For office use only. Do not write below
    this line. STIMPY WAS HERE. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No anchovies unless otherwise specified.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Stimpy For This Useful Post:

johnwinger (06-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
    Pretty sure Mitcham was already there. Anyway they were losing out to pcdiy as they had the same or better pricing and far better customer service.
    I've spent quite a bit with them now and they've always matched or bettered any pricing that was higher.
    I'm having a look over their prices and they look very good. I will get them to price match and use their better service.

Get a bit sick of going to MSY and waiting for ages to be served because they cannot understand what the person buying actually wants, both parties at fault.

Thanks

I have used Scorptec for years and they have been good. I primarily used them because they had a service department (not just box pushers) so I would be covered if I ever had any issues. So when I did have issues with a printer they palmed me off to the manufacturer! If you are purchasing something and require service from something and expect them to do the repair, they may not. You might want to ask before purchase if its an issue for you.

I wasn't real fussed about it all, but after working in a computer service place I just expected them to service what they sell. Something to be aware of I guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCADA View Post
    I have used Scorptec for years and they have been good. I primarily used them because they had a service department (not just box pushers) so I would be covered if I ever had any issues. So when I did have issues with a printer they palmed me off to the manufacturer! If you are purchasing something and require service from something and expect them to do the repair, they may not. You might want to ask before purchase if its an issue for you.

I wasn't real fussed about it all, but after working in a computer service place I just expected them to service what they sell. Something to be aware of I guess.
    MSY tell you what the warranty is for laptops and palm it straight off to the manufacturer as soon as there are any issues. Anything under manufacturer's warranty must be serviced/repaired during the warranty period by the manufacturer.

Service departments in PC shops MSY, Scorptec etc will just diagnose your PC for issues and try and work out what is wrong. Mostly these issues are caused by the builder/installer doing something wrong. They probably get sick of untrained people buying products and then installing them incorrectly but then if this is an issue they should not sell to the man off the street.

I worked for HN for a few years as a service tech, my main job was to pack and post products to be sent away for warranty repairs to the authorised repairer and then get abused by customers because it takes too long. Yet I was fully qualified but majority of my day was taken up by packing, shipping and following up with service agents.

Even if you pay top dollar for a brand named product they will palm you off to the authorised service agent. If you bought a heap of PC parts and built the PC yourself they will diagnose the issue at their shop and advise you.

If you're not sure ask what the warranty is and where you stand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinger View Post

If you're not sure ask what the warranty is and where you stand.
    I own Macs now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCADA View Post
    I own Macs now.
    Can I have a cheese burger some frys and a coke ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

I will just have the Coke and Ice :s
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

I bought from MSY Malvern this week, a TP-Link wireless card. Just a cheapie but should still work with XP. Put it in and installed XP from scratch which locked up at the 'installing devices' stage. Took it out and started XP installation again which completed as normal. Put it in and rebooted and proceeded to install the driver. Half way through driver installation XP crashed. Repeated the process time and again with the same result. Took the card to another XP machine and actually got it working (sort of) at about dial up speed and then it crashed.

Took the card back to MSY and was told they couldn't do anything - package had been opened (durr!) Said they would give me a number to ring for support. I said no, I bought from you, you provide support, not some third party. Big argument follows, with assistant(!) saying if I come in the shop in future I will be told 'out of stock' no matter what I ask for. He says 'we run on very low margins, you must help me by arranging warranty yourself'.

Finally sanity prevails. (sorry Sanity) I get a refund and buy a D-Link DW 525 from them. $16 more but take it home put it in, install driver, and away we go. I should have known a TP-Link was likely to be crap.

MSY haven't learnt from their $200,000 ACCC action. The contract of sale is between buyer and seller, not between buyer and distributor/manufacturer. The implied warranty as to fitness for purpose and merchantability cannot be denied or transferred to the manufacturer. The seller has the option of providing a refund, a replacement or sending the item back to the manufacturer for repair or replacement. For an item bought in the last week or so, to retain customer goodwill, replacement at the very least is desirable.

I must say that I haven't had this problem at the Clayton store (MSY HQ) when I had to return a case with a very noisy fan. A good measure of empathy with customers is not when you are buying something, and it's all smiles, but when you have to return an item. The mood can quickly turn sour. MSY are fine if you know what you want and it works as expected when you get it home. Expect a traumatic time if it doesn't. The blame will be shifted onto you for faulty installation, inadequate knowledge, software problems and the like. Not good enough!
    Last edited by fudda; 06-10-11 at 11:04 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fudda For This Useful Post:

JasonC (07-10-11),weirdo (07-10-11)

Thanks

yes thats crap service (especially given the ACCC action!) - thanks for the update on MSY, plenty of good, cheap computer stores around now that will happily refund you within 7 days or deal with you hassle free on warranty issues

Thanks

"GOOD"

D&D Computers

Shipped on some day as Order and was packet very good.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12