Thread: HDD constantly going in Vista

Thanks

Default HDD constantly going in Vista

Hey, I bought a new PC recently with Vista and it's starting to annoy me. The HDD just won't shut up and keeps working even when the system is idle. This itself is not the problem, but when I do some audio recording work in Cubase, it starts to affect the program and I get audio problems both while playing and recording due to the hard drive doing multiple things at once.

After going from xp to vista and to a newer and much more powerful machine, I don't appreciate the heavily reduced performance I'm getting in Cubase.

I don't know much about vista so any tips to get vista to stop using the HDD when it's not supposed to is much appreciated. I'd rather not have the "fancy" features in the OS.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

2 things are the usual offenders, HD indexing and superfetch. You could disable these functions in services.
    But it is really the nature of vista, it could be managing the page file, defragging the HD, ms defender running and your virus scanner.

But all these programs shouldn't be affecting cubase.

You could check the Resource Monitor to see what may be using your resources.

Thanks

Thanks ssratus. The HDD indicator in Cubase flies up quite often which never happened in XP. I'll try disabling those two and see if it helps, or check out that resource monitoring function.