Thread: Dumb-ass question from someone who SHOULD know ...

Thanks

Default Dumb-ass question from someone who SHOULD know ...

Firstly, My sincere comiserations to the webmaster. Data loss can be a BU&$ER, especially when you thought you were protected. I was wondering why my details weren't being accepted when I tried to log in (and then used every email address I've ever had trying to get the system to let me know what I was doing wrong!!).

Now to my dumb-ass question:-

I'm still running (don't laugh) Win2K sp4. I have been having a few networking troubles lately and have been experimenting with settings to try and resolve them. I HAVE had the system set to boot straight through into my account (a blank password) so that I don't have to hover around during the boot process. But in my fiddling I've changed something and I have lost that particular setting. Do you think I can find it again!!?? Please, someone out there put me out of my misery and let me know just what I have to do. I KNOW its a simple thing, but I just can't find it ....

Thanks guru's

(not so) flashfletch

Look Here ->
    Thanks

How To Enable Automatic Logon in Windows 2000 Professional

Article ID : 234562
    Last Review : May 7, 2007
    Revision : 7.4
    This article was previously published under Q234562
    On This Page
    SUMMARY
    Preventing the Password Prompt in a Non-Domain System
    MORE INFORMATION
    Windows 2000 Only
    SUMMARY
    This article describes how to set the "Users and Passwords" automatic logon feature for Windows 2000 Professional. Note that this Control Panel tool is not available for Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server.

Preventing the Password Prompt in a Non-Domain System
    1. In Control Panel, double-click Users and Passwords.
    2. Click to clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box.

NOTE: This option does not appear on a system that is a member of a domain.
    3. Click the Advanced tab.
    4. Click to clear the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before logging on check box.
    Automatic logon is not supported when you are logging on to a domain. You will need to join a workgroup if you want to use the automatic logon feature.

You can also turn on the automatic logon feature in all versions of the Windows 2000 product family by editing the registry.

WARNING: This procedure will allow the user to log on automatically to the domain. This could cause a serious security problem. Anyone booting this system with this registry modification will be logged on to the system with the user's security credentials.
    1. Start Regedt32.exe and locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    2. Establish your domain name, account name, and password, using the values you would normally type when logging on. You should assign the following values: DefaultDomainName, DefaultUserName, and DefaultPassword.

NOTE: The DefaultDomainName and DefaultUserName values may already exist. The DefaultPassword value may not. If it does not, create it. To do so:
    a. On the Edit menu, click Add Value.
    b. In the Value Name box, type DefaultPassword.
    c. In the Data Type box, click REG_SZ.
    d. Click OK.
    e. In the String Editor box, type your password. Click OK and save your changes.

NOTE: If no DefaultPassword string is specified, Windows automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogon key from 1 (true) to 0 (false). This disables the AutoAdminLogon feature. This behavior also occurs if the DefaultPassword string is specified but the password is left blank or null.
    3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value. Type AutoAdminLogon in the Value Name box. Click REG_SZ in the Data Type box. Enter 1 in the String box. Save your changes.
    4. Quit Regedt32.exe.
    5. Shut down Windows and turn off the computer.
    6. Restart your computer and Windows 2000. You should be able to log on automatically now.

Note that this setting only applies to the first logon. To enforce this setting for subsequent logoffs, the administrator must configure the following setting:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Winlogon
    Value: ForceAutoLogon
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: 1
    This is a by-design security feature. The resolution involves editing the registry. Editing the registry is not supported.

Back to the top
    MORE INFORMATION
    Windows 2000 Only
    The process that is described in this article only applies to the first logon. To enforce this setting for subsequent logons, the administrator must set the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Winlogon
    Value: ForceAutoLogon
    Type: REG_SZ Data: 1

Thanks

Just use Tweakui , free from the microsoft website...

or start , run, gpedit.msc...it has many options that save registry mods.

Thanks

Thanks guys. I knew it was easy, but ....

Austech rocks!!

Thanks

Wink

Hi FlashFletch...
    Is this the EX Father In Law Fletch..
    Hope all is well over that way if it Is..
    Say Hello to the Tribe..

Cheers

Mutanti....