Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multi LNB setup

Thanks

Possibly an old Acer LNB.. 11300?

The dish has weathered badly.... wouldn't be helping reception much.
    yeah i've got a replacement ready to go when i get some time - its a cheap $32 chinese dish and after 2 years in the elements its almost had it - suprisingly signal levels are still quite good over all 3 lnbs even with that much rust...

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks for this very interesting info guys very helpful indeed.
    Toyboy

Thanks

Default you wouldn't read about it.

I had a go setting up the multi LNB this arvo. I started by moving the bar down. I just mounted it with tape (very tightly) so I could try it out. I tested out the main LNB for C1/D3 and perfect signal. I then mounted a LNB in a position that I guessed at from the pictures you guys so kindly provided to point at D2. Test for signal and it has 57%. Slight tweek of the skew and it jumps up and I have 70% quality. I had set up the 2 leads through the desq and so I can switch to scanned channels on each LNB. OK at this point, I decide to tape the cables up to the arm so they don't droop on the ground. Test C1/d3 perfect signal. Test D2, what signal. lol. I haven't been able to get it back since. After 60 minutes of frustration I decide tomorrow is looking good. lol. At least I know it can be done with my setup and I am close. Time to permanently mount the multi setup and try again. Something must have moved when I taped the cables up. Thanks again for your help guys .

Warren

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterex View Post

updated pic from today... showing correct skew (old pic was from when i was still setting up after aligning each lnb)
    Any chance you could take and post a picture looking down on the LNB's so I can see how they look from above? Would help with positioning to see both from vertical and horizontal views.

Warren

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wazm View Post
    I had a go setting up the multi LNB this arvo. I started by moving the bar down. I just mounted it with tape (very tightly) so I could try it out. I tested out the main LNB for C1/D3 and perfect signal. I then mounted a LNB in a position that I guessed at from the pictures you guys so kindly provided to point at D2. Test for signal and it has 57%. Slight tweek of the skew and it jumps up and I have 70% quality. I had set up the 2 leads through the desq and so I can switch to scanned channels on each LNB. OK at this point, I decide to tape the cables up to the arm so they don't droop on the ground. Test C1/d3 perfect signal. Test D2, what signal. lol. I haven't been able to get it back since. After 60 minutes of frustration I decide tomorrow is looking good. lol. At least I know it can be done with my setup and I am close. Time to permanently mount the multi setup and try again. Something must have moved when I taped the cables up. Thanks again for your help guys .

Warren
    You've proven you can find it, you just need to be able to lock it into place.

There are variations in dishes (unless identical of course) and the same with LNB holders and the LNB's themselves, so that, together with variations between locations, will result in different adjustment requirements for your particular setup.

Trying to copy someone elses setup may not be close enough as even minute adjustments have a big effect... as you've found.

The pic from dam0 gives a pretty good perspective of LNB positions, as that holder doesn't permit a front/back tilt of the LNB, just the spacing and sideways tilt of the whole bracket.

It's just a case of persevering... it's fiddly, but you can do it.

You must be able to see the signal strength and quality for the particular transponder/frequency on the particular satellite you are trying to locate... whilst making tiny incremental adjustments... and unless you have an expensive real-time spectrum analyser display.... you need to wait a few seconds after each tiny movement for the display to 'catch up' before moving the LNB again.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (07-09-11),wazm (07-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

Trying to copy someone elses setup may not be close enough as even minute adjustments have a big effect... as you've found.
    Hi, what I am wondering about is how close the LNB's are to the dish. Hmm, well not even that. I guess I wanted to see if they were all the same distance which a view from above would show. Still learning the positioning of these things and how that relates to the signal etc.

I do understand that minute difference make a big difference and so does where you live. I guess I am just getting my head round things. eg: I bought a new LNB way back when I first connected selectv. It was the first time I ever tried doing anything with satellite stuff. Bought a second hand dish that came with an lnb which worked and the new lnb didn't. Since the end of selectv I have been playing round with attempting a setup and only in the past few weeks it dawned on me that I had bought a universal LNB. At the time I didn't know there was a difference. LeroyPatrol has been an amazing help and very patient I have to say and a great ambassador for these forums.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wazm View Post
    Hi, what I am wondering about is how close the LNB's are to the dish. Hmm, well not even that. I guess I wanted to see if they were all the same distance which a view from above would show.
    Yes, the focal point (distance from the dish) of the LNB's is essentially the same, although there may be a very very slight difference due to the curvature of the dish, but for all intents and purposes, they are the same.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

wazm (07-09-11)

Thanks

birds eye view...

for focal length - if you run a tape from the front of the lnb cone to the dish following the angle of the lnb, they are all pretty close to the same measurement...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mysterex For This Useful Post:

wazm (07-09-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Question

birds eye view...

for focal length - if you run a tape from the front of the lnb cone to the dish following the angle of the lnb, they are all pretty close to the same measurement...
    Sorry Cobber,
    I find it very hard to believe the pointing of RH LNB for PAS8.
    It should be pointing to the centre of the dish.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    Sorry Cobber,
    I find it very hard to believe the pointing of RH LNB for PAS8.
    It should be pointing to the centre of the dish.

If it's working, it doesn't matter.

Thanks

much like a concave mirror viewing of the sats depends where you the lnb is positioned in the 3 dimensions

the position of the Intelsat 8 lnb gives the best overall signal strength for my particular dish which is closer to a circle than an oval shape

Thanks

Wink

much like a concave mirror viewing of the sats depends where you the lnb is positioned in the 3 dimensions

the position of the Intelsat 8 lnb gives the best overall signal strength for my particular dish which is closer to a circle than an oval shape
    I've been searching for an explanation, but can only assume that there is something awry.

IS-701 @ 180 E has a strong signal into Australia on 12648 H/ 28066.

My SRT 4658X SNR of 90 and quality 84 on 12726 H/28066 on PAS8.

I suspect that your box has been able to pull that TP in from IS-701.
    Please, can you identify the channels that you are receiving to confirm.
    Overall, without rescanning, I have 9 FTA channels on PAS 8.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Last edited by beer4life; 07-09-11 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I've been searching for an explanation, but can only assume that there is something awry.

My SRT 4658X SNR of 90 and quality 84 on 12726 H/28066 on PAS8.

I suspect that your box has been able to pull that TP in from IS-701.
    Please, can you identify the channels that you are receiving to confirm.
    Overall, without rescanning, I have 9 FTA channels on PAS 8.

Beef for boof head, you reckon you're going to get i701 on an 85cm dish with an LNB that's offset from a dish pointing at 156 deg, it's 26 degrees to i701???

You have got to be drinking!!!!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Beef for boof head, you reckon you're going to get i701 on an 85cm dish with an LNB that's offset from a dish pointing at 156 deg, it's 26 degrees to i701???

You have got to be drinking!!!!

Leroy
    When I need the dog, I'll rattle it's chain.
    You can't even count! Not enough toes?

Thanks

When I need the dog, I'll rattle it's chain.
    You can't even count! Not enough toes?

24, 26 it doesn't matter. You should know better than suggesting i701 can be received on an 85cm multi lnb setup with the i701 LNB in the offset position.

And what's more is you don't really offer any constuctive help to this thread.

.......Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 07-09-11 at 07:29 PM.
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

wazm (07-09-11)

Thanks

i think i would have noticed if it wasn't on Intelsat 8 - the defunct SelecTV etc...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mysterex For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (07-09-11),mtv (07-09-11),wazm (07-09-11)

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to take and post the picture with the explanation. It does help me to understand a lot better, especially with the explanation you gave.

Cheers,

Warren

• The Following User Says Thank You to wazm For This Useful Post:

Mysterex (07-09-11)

Thanks

Wink

i think i would have noticed if it wasn't on Intelsat 8 - the defunct SelecTV etc...
    Fair enough, but,
    Your signal levels are far too low.
    My apologies for being pedantic, but they may be the channels advertised, but not what you are receiving.
    I've cleared all my Ku Transponders, but for 12726 H, there are only 13 channels on a manual scan.
    A Fresh Blind Scan has revealed 6 TPs with 65 channels.
    Please, if I'm missing something, let me know? I haven't rattled the chain yet!

Thanks

Fair enough, but,
    My apologies for being pedantic, but they may be the channels advertised, but not what you are receiving.
    I've cleared all my Ku Transponders, but for 12726 H, there are only 13 channels on a manual scan.

I think you should stick to pickled penises

Leroy

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

toyboy11 (07-09-11)

Thanks

Fair enough, but,
    don't take the signal readings pictured from my box as an indication of the quality or signal strength as my mutant 200 box doesn't have a very sensitive tuner and the SNR/AGC readings aren't that accurate, not to mention the stormy skies above

the main thing is that i do get all the encrypted and FTA services from IS8 Ku including the odd feeds

no blindscan on that particular box but an automatic scan with an uptodate satellites.xml shows 14 transponders (including c band) and 105 services found of which 70 odd are TV channels (i didn't delete the old channels before scanning so there are probably some defunct or renamed channels)
    Last edited by Mysterex; 07-09-11 at 10:52 PM.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast