Thread: Good Flat Panel TV for Sat feeds

Thanks

Default Good Flat Panel TV for Sat feeds

Ok after seeing for myself the HD content of Satellite Channels, I've convinced myself I need a Flat Panel to upgrade from my DSE CRT that I fixed up from the road side

Im aware as you scale up to larger sized tv's imperfections within Picture Quality is more noticable especially for weaker signals.

Anyone recommend a good flat panel for viewing Satellite feeds ?

Have been thinking of getting a Matte LCD/LED panel since my lounge is normal facing with full strength sun light.

Only problem is the screen that I really like in the stores is the new generation Samsung LED 8000 series.. which is pretty expensive for my tastes. but somehow the absolute sharp almost artificial PQ grabs me.. (I did love Tron Legacy maybe thats why)

Panasonic Plasma's seem to get a good wrap but my lounge might be too bright and I've noticed some plasmas are softer in PQ and over time I guess their PQ will get softer as it ages.

Maybe I should us my Dell 30" Monitor as a temporary TV until the Samsung 8000 series comes down in price next year.. I think its silly to spend more than $2500 on a good tv.. Even better to spend just $1500 on one... but if the quality is there dont mind going up to $2500.. but $3000+ = crazy.
    Last edited by darkage; 08-09-11 at 03:11 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I'd be looking at the Samdung for picture quality. I prefer the menu's of the Panasonic but I don't like the pic as much.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (08-09-11)

Thanks

If your going HD package take advantage or the 3D channel and get a 3D screen. I got an LG LED 3D 55" from the good guys $1585. Best thing is you can use the glasses from the cinema not the heavy battery operated ones.

Thanks

Wow flicking through the catalogs LG LED 3D 55" are normally around $2300. depending on model revision. $1500 mark thats cheap!!

The 55" latest model Sumdung (8000 series) is about $3200.. Heard bad things with previous models Sumdung (6000 & 7000 series) ie black light bleeding, colour issues.

I might have a look at the LG on the weekend then..

Thanks

I'm just looking in the JB cattle dog and they have a 51" 3D full HD Plasma for $1096

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

I dont think plasma is an option for me, my room does get direct sunlight and with my current CRT its a bit of a pain to close curtains etc.. so thats why I thought LCD/LED would be better for me due to brighter image.

Actually the only real Plasma I liked in terms of PQ was a $5200 odd Panasonic 65" Full HD 3D but thats probably instore was the only TV in JB that was on a Blu-ray player instead of the lossy multiple A/V outputs. Hard to judge when not seeing a perfect image on display.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    Wow flicking through the catalogs LG LED 3D 55" are normally around $2300. depending on model revision. $1500 mark thats cheap!!

The 55" latest model Sumdung (8000 series) is about $3200.. Heard bad things with previous models Sumdung (6000 & 7000 series) ie black light bleeding, colour issues.

Yes the new smart tv is about $2200 - 2600
    The one I have was advertised in the paper. I thought it was a misprint but must have been a runout price. 100hz while the smart tv is 200hz.

Thanks

we have the LG 55" Cinema TV

absolutely fantastic

got it from harvey norman for $1588 - cheep as chips

chuck in a $298 PS3 for the Blueray and Media server and a 10gb transfer hdmi and for under $2K it is a steal

and as adams has stated - if you lose a pair of 3D glasses, just drop in to your local cinema and for a dollar you get a new pair

did i mention no flicker with the 3d......................
    有段者

Thanks

wow I take it the samsung needs battery operated 3d glasses to operate unlike the LG.. If so then thats a big point to take advantage of. (Ive only ever seen battery operated glasses for samsung tvs and have researched much into 3d)

Thanks

My friend, I have gone through more tellys over the past few years than I can think of trying to get the best sat pictures. I currently have the LG 55" 200htz LED and would not recommend it for sat TV. The issue for me is the lower resolution 4:3 aspect ratio services on most C band satellites - the LG is a mile off the plasma in processing this stuff.

The plasma definatley smooths out the rought edges much better than the LED. I previously owned one of the first Samsung 100htz LEDs 55" and found the same sort of issue with satelllite TV (and indeed the poor quality FTA standard def services) as well as the issues you identified above.

On the other side of the coin, if you are able to access good quality HD services or watch a lot of blu ray, then the LED certainly comes into its own. I also agree with you regarding light; in my situation, I am a night time viewer so the plasma option doesn't present a problem to me in regard to light.

My advice is to go for the Panasonic plasma 50 or 55", or for a bang for buck, the latest Samsung plasma's seem to be a good deal.

Thanks

Actually last night I had a detailed look at the LG LED 3D tv's. I actually see its one of the better units that starts to hit the sweet spot for performance/price ratio. but yeah never know how Sat feeds look like on it until you try.. I would love to get into 3D Bluray for a few favourite movies that actually might be more important to me than Satellite TV.. hmm I guess it comes down to how you prefer to tailor your viewing pleasure.. always have to sacrifice one thing for another..

I might hook up my Dell 30" IPS monitor and see how it looks on LCD at least.. hmm more to chew on..

Thanks

Actually last night I had a detailed look at the LG LED 3D tv's. I actually see its one of the better units that starts to hit the sweet spot for performance/price ratio. but yeah never know how Sat feeds look like on it until you try.. I would love to get into 3D Bluray for a few favourite movies that actually might be more important to me than Satellite TV.. hmm I guess it comes down to how you prefer to tailor your viewing pleasure.. always have to sacrifice one thing for another..

I might hook up my Dell 30" IPS monitor and see how it looks on LCD at least.. hmm more to chew on..
    I would be buying a TV that looks good for your regular terrestrial FTA viewing. I reckon all TV's will look good with a bluray input.
    I wouldn't get hungup on feed picture quality as some are in HD and some are low res 3:4.

Leroy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

LG look good and are priced well, but have a very high failure rate.

Plenty of threads about them.