Thread: EDM Solution 862 early morning errors

Thanks

Default EDM Solution 862 early morning errors

Have a EDM Solution 862 system that was already installed when I purchased my house. I never used it for several years because I didn't know how to operate it or what its access code was so I eventually got a security company guy over who reprogrammed it to change the access code so I could use it. I don't have a phone line at home (have Naked DSL) so I told him I just intended to use it as a audible alarm. I also replaced the backup battery at the time. I rarely arm the system but it has worked as intended for the past 6 months or so. Now twice in about the last week or so it has sounded the alarm in the early morning due to some sort of error as it wasn't even armed at the time and I was asleep in bed. The display panel showed the flashing sector 8 indicator and I think I cleared the error by arming the system with the PIN code and then disarming it again.

I have a pdf of the original Operators Manual and it only says that the 8 is code for a communication error. As I don't have a phone line connected is there some sort of 'dial out' procedure the system tries to do if it hasn't been armed for a period of time or something else?

Any help appreciated by me (and my neighbours!)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

It appears your system is programmed to perform a weekly test back to base and as you don't have it connected to a monitoring company you are receiving a comms fault (timer test fail).

The security guy you had come over should have programmed it for local alarm. Call him back to fix it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    It appears your system is programmed to perform a weekly test back to base and as you don't have it connected to a monitoring company you are receiving a comms fault (timer test fail).

The security guy you had come over should have programmed it for local alarm. Call him back to fix it.
    Yeah the only problem with that is that it has worked fine for the last 6 months or so and only produced the error in the last week. (the siren has now sounded twice in the last week) If it had that call to base setting surely the error would have occurred each week since it was reprogrammed those months ago?

Thanks

From what the guy has stated it actually sounds as though you have a 24 hour tamper going off. If the light 8 is flashing, that usually indicates an alarm memory which clears when you arm and disarm. Unless you have gone into the trouble menu by holding the 5 button and then looking at the zone lights. The trouble menu doesnt show a flashing zone light, only a steady one. If the sirens are sounding the I'd guess you have a faulty siren tamper switch on zone 8 which will need to be replaced.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Agree with Pauly. If people would read the user book properly they wouldn't keep getting confused about a zone indication & a fault indication.

Thanks

OK thanks for your help guys. Since I was made aware of the 1st early morning malfunction (not sure of time and day), the second malfunction occurred 4:30am last Monday morning, I had another one this morning (Monday) at around 5:30am. Is there anything to this pattern? It being one week and one hour since the last malfunction?

I've used the event memory recall mode and it just indicates the sector 8 event on the last 3 occasions.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

That's hardly enough info to indicate a pattern

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    That's hardly enough info to indicate a pattern
    But it's enough to give your neighbours the royal shits and bring the whole alarm industry into disrepute.

Can I suggest you silence the siren until you've resolved the false alarm issue.

Zones 7 and 8 on an Ultima 862 panel can only ever be programmed as a 24 hour zone, so unless you have a smoke detector or a constantly alarmed door on the premises, it's almost certainly a buggered tamper switch. Most likely on the siren housing.

Thanks

Yes, I do believe a smoke detector may be connected to the alarm.

How do I silence the siren?

Thanks

Unhappy

Rather than BYPASS the problem, why not just FIX the problem? Why risk lowering the safety of your home and family by disconnecting or bypassing (either in programming or physically) a potentially faulty smoke detector? What happens if you have a fire? Just call a licensed alarm technician to check and service your system.

Your first post was back on the 19th - over a week ago, and you're still asking for help about this problem......

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

True , but what I'm talking about is fault finding based on some non existant perceived pattern. I've seen many hours wasted , & many reputations tarnished based on circumstantial evidence.