Thread: NESS Alarms and Home Automation

Thanks

Default NESS Alarms and Home Automation

I know most of you already know this can be done but I would like to share it so that everyone knows.

I have recently moved into a fully automated apartment complex which uses a combination of CBUS and Switch Home Automation systems. The complex has a biometric fingerprint readers which are used to operate the lift, complex main door and apartment door. The garage has a remote control system and a wireless door opener (like e-toll you drive in and the door automatically opens without pressing a button). What is cool is that all the remotes, RFID fobs, fingerprints and garage door tags are linked back into the NESS alarm system allowing you to delete them if they get lost or stolen as well as add your own RFID without having to go through Body Coperate.

Are NESS alarms specifically used with HOME automation?
    "I can't believe you totaled a mammoth"

Look Here ->
    Thanks

not usually a i bet its a m1 gold panel on site they can interface with alot of things i have heard but had not much to do with them

Thanks

Default Ness Alarms & Home Automation

Hello Brother Bear,

The Ness M1 is what we call a Cross Platform Controller, meaning it can be programmed for security and/or access control and/or automation.

With the ability to connect to many industry standard protocol devices, Weigand, RS232/485, TCP/IP, iDevice (iPhone/iPad), Biometrics (finger/facial) it is very flexible in application.

Regards,

SL

Thanks

On the one hand, it sounds like a nicely designed system. A lot of new constructions have very disjointed security and building services as architects and builders don't really understand it. Also, it's not uncommon to see a 5 million dollar apartment with a two hundred dollar crappy alarm system installed, and the ubiquitous CBUS 'smart lighting' that hasn't actually been programmed to do much more than just turn lights on and off.

Yours sounds quite nice. However it also seems there is a very substantial single point of failure. It would be worth exploring sooner rather than later, what happens when components fail and invariably are unavailable in a few years from now. This forum is filled with posts from people who've inherited an old system e.g. Clipsal Homeminder and want to reprogram, replace parts etc.

Same goes for intercoms. Once individual units start playing up, can they be easily replaced many years from now? Aiphone is great in that regard, still supplying parts for twenty year old designs. The European intercoms (not to mention Chinese) are often a disaster in that regard. Look and work great on day one, but are worse than failure a few years down the track when they meet Australian climate.

Also, with the fingerprint scanners, I'd be watching out for two things:

1) Cheaper fingerprint scanners are fairly easy to trick, using 'gummy fingerprints'. If it's only common area, it's not your problem (common areas in residential buildings are usually a write-off anyway as nobody will ever stop tail-gaters). If it's to your property however, have a good look at what's been put in. Having said that, if the doors won't stand up to a well aimed kick, I doubt anyone's going to bother exploiting your biometrics system.

2) Boogers. Yuk.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 22-09-11 at 11:39 AM.