Thread: Neutrinos exceeding the speed of Light

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Default Neutrinos exceeding the speed of Light

Trash, you're not gonna like what your favorite particles are doing here:

Question is if they can confirm it independently somewhere else and then the most burning question: What are the consequences?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Last edited by Tiny; 25-09-11 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Duplicate Please delete - sorry.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

E=MC*
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

yes. this one is a little interesting.
    I'm still going with the standard model here. We know that neutrinos aren't tachyonic. It's an illusion.

It's this illusion that is of interest.

Imagine you're a highway cop. You point your radar up the road and clock a car coming down the road at 130kph. You think "busted". So you step out from the kerb with the sign to pull the car over. But as the car pulls over you realise it's.... a Trabbant !

What's the truth here ? That trabbants can travel at 140kph ?
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Maybe the cop in all his excitement to catch a speeding car forgot that he was sitting in his own vehicle moving at 50km/h towards the Trabbi.
    Maybe we still have not quite understood the concept of relative speed yet.

… but maybe the speed of light is not such an absolute thing after all.
    When we talk about the speed of light we are not talking about a particle with mass but rather the time it takes for a form of energy or information to reach us. We talk about photons.

We have not observed a massive particle that has ever reached the speed of light (until possibly now) but only assume, based on theories and observation of the behaviour of massive particles moving below c, that it can never actually reach this speed.
    However there might be a certain fuzziness about this maximum speed that we assumed was c.
    It might vary depending on a property (or properties) of the particles in motion.
    Neutrinos might have their own definition of c, or maximum speed.

This unknown property might open our eyes for new discoveries.

I can not accept that everything we explained up to now is true and absolute, even if it is from Einstein.
    Correct me if I am wrong(I'm getting a bit brain dead lately) but I think it was even Einstein himself who stated that his theories can only be correct until somebody observes that they are wrong, or something like that.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 26-09-11 at 04:06 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

By travelling faster than light are they not doing exactly what they should, travelling back in time and arriving before they should???
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Relative motion of the Earth.
    The Earth's rotation, the Earth's motion around the sun and the Solar system's motion around the galaxy and our galaxy's motion in space.

The error is 14.6 metres +/- 0.2m or about 49 nanoseconds.

So lets work it. How far does the earth move in 49 nanoseconds ?

An equatorial rotational velocity of 465.1m/s = 0.02mm nup... we're a bit short there.

Orbital velocity = 29783m/s, now we're talking. ~1.5mm nup... still short.

Our Stellar orbital velocity. 220000m/s. doh, this is a little over 1cm.

Even our galaxy's velocity which we can round up to 600km/s still does not give us more than 3cm.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    What's the truth here ? That trabbants can travel at 140kph ?
    Dunno, depends what's under the hood and behind the wheel I guess.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (29-09-11)

Thanks

maybe DJMats space junk coffee table managed to scramble the results somehow:P
    ive only been suspended once...but never banned...yet, but i am working on it...OMG after all these years...i am a paytv forum troll....erk
    ok i have, a phillips screwdriver, a sidchrome socket set, life time supply of condoms, lotsa old programers, an old nokia, season interface...even a pace 400....does this make me look better than DJmatt? oh i was also a "auspink" beta tester!...but apart from that i look great in suspenders

Thanks

The thought that we could be moving 600km/s relative to SOMETHING comforts me somewhat.

... and thanks Learjet for reviving the memories of all the fun I had with my little underpowered cars I had when I was a student in Europe many decades ago.

Two reasons now why I should sleep well tonight
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-09-11 at 12:32 AM.