Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recording Q

Thanks

Default recording Q

sometime this or next week a TV tech will install a Vast system (dish and receiver) I wil want to record and watch at the same time (as with VCR) my TV will only accept 400gb HDD,what would you suggest as to the PVR I should be looking at now, and prices are very important at this moment.
    thanking you all

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by live1936 View Post
    sometime this or next week a TV tech will install a Vast system (dish and receiver) I wil want to record and watch at the same time (as with VCR) my TV will only accept 400gb HDD,what would you suggest as to the PVR I should be looking at now, and prices are very important at this moment.
    thanking you all
    The UEC VAST PVR option is due for release very soon.

It has a new remote with the PVR functions and you can plug in an external USB drive, tested to 1TB.

The VAST box only has a single tuner, so you can only use the tuner for one program at a time. eg: you cannot watch one live program and record another simultaneously.

Naturally, you could record and watch the same VAST program simultaneously.

I haven't tried playback of a recorded program and recording another simultaneously.

Someone else may be able to confirm if they have tested this.

The quality of recordings is maintaned in full digital quality using the HDD, as opposed to using a VHS machine.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am bit curious about the comment that "my TV will only accept 400 GB HDD".
    I know later model TV's have 'Media' facilities now but a data limit ?
    I have heard that older digital cameras may not accept SD cards over 4GB but thats SD cards, not a HDD.
    If the recording capacity is like my Strong HD STB, it seems to use about 2 GB per Hour so that gives you at least 100 hours of recording time, more than adequate I would have thought.
    PS, Gossip is VAST are goiing to encrypt this (USB record) so it can only be played back thru the UEC which means unless you have one (UEC) to record and one (UEC)to play back, you will have to arrange your recording/playbacks carefully.
    The alternative is to use the AV outs into something else and then you can plaback into whatever whenever you want.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 27-09-11 at 08:23 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

My TV is a 24" Conia full HD and in the manual is states > ext HD up to 400gb storage space, hard disk with storage size more than 400gb is not supported <

Administrator
    Thanks

My TV is a 24" Conia full HD and in the manual is states > ext HD up to 400gb storage space, hard disk with storage size more than 400gb is not supported <
    I'm assuming either the TV has a PVR capability from its integrated terrestrial digital tuner, or it accepts a USB HDD for playback of some formats.

Yes, the UEC VAST PVR recordings can only be played back via the UEC decoder.

Thanks

I'm assuming either the TV has a PVR capability from its integrated terrestrial digital tuner

this is correct, and If I want to purchase a Strong box what would be suitable for my purpose,what would anyone suggest please (its a nightmare at 76yo)

Administrator
    Thanks

I'm assuming either the TV has a PVR capability from its integrated terrestrial digital tuner

this is correct, and If I want to purchase a Strong box what would be suitable for my purpose,what would anyone suggest please (its a nightmare at 76yo)
    I understand the confusion, however, I think we're starting to talk about different things here.

When you say Strong box... do you mean satellite or terrestrial?

I'm assuming satellite, because you are getting VAST satellite, which usually means you have no terrestrial reception.... is that correct?

If that's the case, the HDD connected directly to the TV may be useless, as it probably relies on the terrestrial tuner in the TV to record off, so you probably need to connect a HDD to the satellite receiver, not the TV, so you record off the satellite box and play back to the TV through the satellite box. Hope that makes sense.

Now, about the Strong box.... what would you intend to do with a Strong box if you are getting a VAST box?

You can't receive VAST with any other box than the UEC VAST box, so maybe if you can expalin where the Strong box comes into all of this and we'll go from there.

Premium Member

Thanks

I think the manual of my STRONG terrestial HD stb with PVR says something similar that but when I checked the company website, they have near doubled what the manual says.
    I will stand correcting on this but I think when your manual like mine was written, the maximum capacity of the HDD (400 GB) was all that was availlable to buy at that time so they used that as a maximum capacity but thats all it is.
    But even so 400GB should give you at least 100 hours of recording time.

Live, its a bloody battle trying to keep up and sort out the jargon and the often ridiculous claims made by many in relation to what can and cant be done with Digital TV.
    The '1942' behind my name is my year of Birth so I well know how you feel with all this.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 28-09-11 at 02:59 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

I haven't tried playback of a recorded program and recording another simultaneously.

Someone else may be able to confirm if they have tested this.
    I can confirm you can watch a Recorded program while recording another, no problem

Also, The UEC Vast PVR function can support any size HDD, but will only use up to 1TB of it,

& I think a 1 TB HDD will give up to 887hrs of SD recordings,

& 340hrs of HD recordings

The UEC PVR software is not released yet, but is reported to be not far away
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 28-09-11 at 03:31 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (30-09-11),live1936 (06-10-11),mtv (28-09-11),Tiny (28-09-11)

Thanks

cool i have a 1 tb usb hard drive cant wait. So this software update will be over the air and where can we buy a new remote

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    cool i have a 1 tb usb hard drive cant wait. So this software update will be over the air and where can we buy a new remote
    The update will be available OTA and from the UEC website.

UEC haven't said where the PVR remote will be available from, but I would think it safe to assume (when it's released) it will be available from all authorised sellers of the UEC VAST decoders.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Unfortunately we still have not got a release date yet, for the UEC PVR Remote & software,
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 28-09-11 at 06:09 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

I bet you could pick one up off ebay as well i have usb 1 tb hard drive ready to go western digital. What quality will it record in full hd sd or what

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    What quality will it record in full hd sd or what
    The recordings are all in the format they are received in.

eg: SD channels are in SD and HD channels are in HD.

Full HD generally refers to a resolution of 1080p which no terrestrial or satellite channels transmit, only 1080i.

1080p is available typically from Bluray players, etc.

Premium Member

Thanks

I used an 80GB HDD to record SBS (Strong Terrestial HDD stb) during the Tour d' France and one night was on their SD channel, the next on the HDD channel and I couldnt tell the difference.

Thanks

Well I have asked a Question haven't I, So it looks like I will be waiting for Vast to come out with a box that can be looped to the Vast encoder, hope this is right up to now,__

I did have a company give me details about a PVR that would be suitable for my needs, but at the price given, I have to think twice,and it could be a wrong choice as well.

CLICK ON LINK ABOVE TO SEE THE PVR.
    also I am now only able to view HDTV (no analogue) and it is on a terestrial arial, and being out of the signal area PC3711, I am only able to get at times,weather permitting ABC 1&2 & ABC24 and SBS,
    analogue was turned off in May of this year,and have had little or no real TV signals since, Hope this coming week the JIMS antennas will fit the new Sat dish and receiver*******************************************
    somehow or other I had a another post about this earlier on in the year, and I forgot all about it, sorry if I mucked up anything
    Last edited by live1936; 02-10-11 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added data

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    Unfortunately we still have not got a release date yet, for the UEC PVR Remote & software,
    It was supposed to be "real soon now" when i got my first box back in April/May :0 The wife's been at me to get a second box for the bedroom, but I've been telling her to wait for the PVR function. When she asks me when that will be, I just keep saying "real soon now..."

Russell.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8DashP View Post
    It was supposed to be "real soon now" when i got my first box back in April/May :0 The wife's been at me to get a second box for the bedroom, but I've been telling her to wait for the PVR function. When she asks me when that will be, I just keep saying "real soon now..."

Russell.
    Frustrating, isn't it!

All I know is that the PVR/firmware trials are in the final stage and the 'soon' we have now is much closer to reality that the 'soon' of several months ago.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

toyboy11 (06-10-11)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Well I have asked a Question haven't I, So it looks like I will be waiting for Vast to come out with a box that can be looped to the Vast encoder, hope this is right up to now,__
    Yes, we have to wait for them to bring out a PVR feature. In the meantime, the box Jims Antennas give you will work OK for just watching VAST.

I did have a company give me details about a PVR that would be suitable for my needs, but at the price given, I have to think twice,and it could be a wrong choice as well.
    Just remember that not one single box out there will work with VAST, other than the one Jims Antennas give you. Anything else you buy will only be good for the weather-permitting ABC's and nothing else!
    Last edited by Smacca; 03-10-11 at 12:03 AM.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

live1936 (03-10-11)

Thanks

how will we know when this PVR system is out and ready for use,including the remote? how will that work for users in country areas, If the Vast receiver has 1 tuner and can record just one channel and not able to watch another, how can the software which is banded around, give the receiver 2 tuners ? I cannot see this being just a software fix, but someone out there should have some information as to what will be used to get a PVR up and running, It seems that there are a lot of viewers with this question,
    Thanks to all, Bill in Buxton 3711 and jims antennas will be installing my Satellite sys on Tue 11th Oct,

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast