Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ps2 slim 77001, modbo 4.0 chip, dvd region movie problem.

Banned
    Thanks

Default Ps2 slim 77001, modbo 4.0 chip, dvd region movie problem.

Hi, i live in the US and i did my first ps2 slim modchip mod. The system plays ps2 backups, ps1 backups. But I cannot play pal dvd movies on my NTSC ps2 slim. Whenever I put a out of region dvd movie in. It comes up on the screen and saids tv system doesnt match.

I dont know if this is like that on some ps2 slims If thios is not suppost to be. Then can someone tell me where to look at on my ps2 slim or tell me if some ps2's work like that? It plays dvd movie's on my own region with no problems but not out of region moives, I even try the set up menu but it did not work.

Will some one guide me that knows about ps2 modbo 4.0 chip. Again my system is 77001 ps2 slim modbo4.0 modchip and its a NTSC system by the way.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

different model but try this

"* DVD MOVIES AND PSONE GAMES / PS2 SCPH-9000*
    MODBO CHIP AND MATRIX INFINITY SOME MODEL PS2 SCPH 90002 MUST HOLD CIRCLE BUTTON ON CONTROLLER WHILE TURN ON CONSOLE TO PLAY DVD MOVIES- THIS FUNCTION ENABLES FORCE MEDIA DETECTION."

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dungbeetle46 View Post
    different model but try this

"* DVD MOVIES AND PSONE GAMES / PS2 SCPH-9000*
    MODBO CHIP AND MATRIX INFINITY SOME MODEL PS2 SCPH 90002 MUST HOLD CIRCLE BUTTON ON CONTROLLER WHILE TURN ON CONSOLE TO PLAY DVD MOVIES- THIS FUNCTION ENABLES FORCE MEDIA DETECTION."
    your not understading me the system can play dvd movies just fine without holding the CIRCLE BUTTON.

Its just the only problem I have is the system will not play out of region dvd moives such as japan or pal. It only plays my region which is USA. As for everything else like ps1 games and ps2 games no problems on those. Again its just that the system will not take dvd movies that are from another region. When I put a out of region movie in, it will display on screen saying tv system doesnt match. thats all.
    Last edited by jerbar120; 28-09-11 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks

ntsc ps2 can output pal, but not on DVD movies.
    it'll report an error along the lines of "invalid output format".
    the modchip patches the PS2 firmware for region free but not the embedded DVD player software which has NTSC video settings hardcoded in your USA PS2 firmware

you could try software like DVD Region X or booting into another homebrew media player rather than the default embedded one...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterex View Post
    the modchip patches the PS2 firmware for region free but not the embedded DVD player software which has NTSC video settings hardcoded in your USA PS2 firmware

you could try software like DVD Region X or booting into another homebrew media player rather than the default embedded one...
    Well base on what your talking about are you saying that some modded ps2 slim's may not work with out of region movies?

Have you sir done modchips before and had the problem I got?

Please tell me if you are a expert on these dogs or not?

I will feel better knowing that this is like that on some ps2's and theres is nothing out of place on my system.

Thanks

I would say your main problem is the Modbo 4 as this chip is a cheap clone of the matrix infinity and without changing the chip your only hope is to try using an elf like sms (Simple Media Player) There is nothing wrong with your system, the problem is in the cheap chip.

Thanks

You could also use DVD Region X

Last edited by dungbeetle46; 29-09-11 at 11:37 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

I would say your main problem is the Modbo 4 as this chip is a cheap clone of the matrix infinity and without changing the chip your only hope is to try using an elf like sms (Simple Media Player) There is nothing wrong with your system, the problem is in the cheap chip.
    I kinda had that it was the chip but i was not sure, every solder point is in the right place's and it seems like all wires are stuck to the solder ponts and not lose. This is my first time working in modchips and its a sick job hard as hell lol.

Let me ask you a fews things, is the wire Y for both dvd region and ps1 region?

Becuase if it is Y that controls dvd region then your right lol.

Is there a better modchip out there that will do all the work or they all mostly the same?

I hope to hear from ya plase reply. thanks
    Last edited by jerbar120; 29-09-11 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks

The duo3 ultra is supposed to be good but I have not tried one myself, I have always used modbos as I have never worried about region free anyhow

Banned
    Thanks

The duo3 ultra is supposed to be good but I have not tried one myself, I have always used modbos as I have never worried about region free anyhow

You never reply to some stuff.
    Let me ask is the wire Y for both dvd region and ps1 region?

Banned
    Thanks

So far guys I look on other websites and base on what I see the 1.99 modchip are fake modbo 4.0's. The real ones are the kind that has the 1.93 on it. My chip has the 1.99 on it so this is why the chip works on everything else but not out of region dvd movies, just movies that are made in my area that can play. Can anyone tell me what places that sells modbo 4.0s with the numbers 1.93 on them?

Also can anyone else tell me if wire Y point controls dvd region movies or not? I had ask that before and no one seems to anwser that but they take time to come here lol.

Thanks

Well base on what your talking about are you saying that some modded ps2 slim's may not work with out of region movies?
    USA Region 1 PS2s and only when trying to play back PAL movies - your Playstation embedded DVD player software on your USA PS2 has hardcoded video settings for NTSC only - Region 1 doesn't have any PAL encoded discs whereas Region 4 does have some NTSC encoded discs and thats why PAL PS2s can do both PAL and NTSC with the standard embedded DVD player

booting up a copy of DVD Region X should work as its been written as a generic DVD player - SMS media player should work as well...

Banned
    Thanks

USA Region 1 PS2s and only when trying to play back PAL movies - your Playstation embedded DVD player software on your USA PS2 has hardcoded video settings for NTSC only - Region 1 doesn't have any PAL encoded discs whereas Region 4 does have some NTSC encoded discs and thats why PAL PS2s can do both PAL and NTSC with the standard embedded DVD player

booting up a copy of DVD Region X should work as its been written as a generic DVD player - SMS media player should work as well...
    Ok so the modbo 4.0 dvd moive region free only applys to systems that are pal systems and NTSC systems will not support region free movie settings that are on the chip? I want to make sure just so we undertstand each other, I want to make sure that we are on the same page .

Thanks

not quite - modbo does region free just the embedded dvd player on an NTSC/USA PS2 can't display PAL at all - but not just modbo every modchip on the market - they only patch certain parts of the BIOS/firmware but not the embedded DVD player software which in your case is any region but NTSC video only

if you replaced the entire BIOS ROM chip with a PAL one then it'd work

Banned
    Thanks

not quite - modbo does region free just the embedded dvd player on an NTSC/USA PS2 can't display PAL at all - but not just modbo every modchip on the market - they only patch certain parts of the BIOS/firmware but not the embedded DVD player software which in your case is any region but NTSC video only

if you replaced the entire BIOS ROM chip with a PAL one then it'd work
    Ok so the chip firmware takes any other region embedded dvd player system but not NTSC when it comes to playing movies from the uk or pal. So in my case your saying that it will only do region free on NTSC such as japan and USA systems but as for pal it will not play becuase of the modchip's bios thats inside the firmware. Not so much of the system but just the way the modschip is set up.

Ok i think i understand i hope i did?

let me ask this bios thing will is that setup be the same for a ps2 backup that can be from pal? I never had a ps2 pal game before.
    Last edited by jerbar120; 29-09-11 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks

yeah the PS2 hardware (GPU/CPU etc) is same where ever you buy it apart from the firmware/BIOS

PAL/NTSC games work fine because the modchip bypasses any region coding and the video can be set to whatever PAL/NTSC and even forced to the opposite if required

its just your embedded DVD player software that has video encoding set to NTSC with no way to change it or alter it with a modchip

if you could boot the embedded DVD player software from a PAL machine then you'd be fine but you cant cause its contained in the BIOS as the machines OS

download and burn a copy of DVD Region X (search with google) and boot that as a replacement DVD player, or install SMS Media player elf onto a memory card and boot that with triangle or R1 button.

Banned
    Thanks

Ok so you said in your other post that if I replace the modchip with one thats made from where you guys live. Then my pal dvd movies will work on my NTSC ps2 slim.

Do you have a link of the wedsite that sells the modbo 4.0 chips that you guys have in your area thats made for pal? Or do you know any other places that sell the hardwere that has the bios thats made for pal/ NTSC?

I think my belly is about full from eating alot of infolol
    Last edited by jerbar120; 29-09-11 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks

Ok so you said in your other post that if I replace the modchip with one thats made from where you guys live. Then my pal dvd movies will work on my NTSC ps2 slim.

Do you have a link of the wedsite that sells the modbo 4.0 chips that you guys have in your area thats made for pal? Or do you know any other places that sell the hardwere that has the bios thats made for pal/ NTSC?
    no modchip will fix this problem.

i said if you swap the Sony PS2 BIOS chip from inside your NTSC unit with a PAL PS2 Bios chip then you eliminate this problem - easier just to get a PAL PS2...
    Last edited by Mysterex; 29-09-11 at 09:30 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

no modchip will fix this problem.

i said if you swap the Sony PS2 BIOS chip from inside your NTSC unit with a PAL PS2 Bios chip then you eliminate this problem - easier just to get a PAL PS2...
    Oh!! I get it now, you were talking about one of the chips on the ps2 slim motherbourd. I had in my mind that you was talking about a modchip, Im so new to this computer stuff.

Man I cant do what your talking about and plus its not worth it anyway when I can buy a pal ps2 slim and pay 3.00 for the modbo 4.0 chip and install it that way. I think my belly is soo full im getting sick I mean its been a great topic and will help everybody as well as me.

My main reason of making this post was to make sure that my ps2 slim in the way that its acting is normal or not and its clear that a ps2 slim in some models may or may not play out of region dvds base on region.
    Thank you for the help and I gave you a rep in return.

Again thanks for everything, I had a feeling that this website will be best on modchip info when I sign up.
    Last edited by jerbar120; 30-09-11 at 02:12 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

You could also use DVD Region X

So on region x can i burn it on a cd-r or do i need a dvd-r?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast