Thread: VAST out of area activation

Thanks

Default VAST out of area activation

Folks, I'm about to move in to an analogue only TV area and I'm a bit confused as to what VAST I can apply for - my local self-help tx site may (or may not) be upgraded 2nd half 2012 when they turn off the analogue.

If I get a site survey done to enable Aurora reception, can I then use that info to get the full local digital channels on VAST, or will I only get ABC/SBS and have to wait until next year for the rest?

Also, if I have to buy the UEC POS how far off is the PVR version, or is it a firmware upgrade on the existing model?

Cheers

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Folks, I'm about to move in to an analogue only TV area and I'm a bit confused as to what VAST I can apply for - my local self-help tx site may (or may not) be upgraded 2nd half 2012 when they turn off the analogue.

If I get a site survey done to enable Aurora reception, can I then use that info to get the full local digital channels on VAST, or will I only get ABC/SBS and have to wait until next year for the rest?

Also, if I have to buy the UEC POS how far off is the PVR version, or is it a firmware upgrade on the existing model?

Cheers
    macca,

It all depends if the TX site is, or may be upgraded to digital and sometimes, that decision changes.

Have you checked the satellite eligibility on the MySwitch website for your new address?

If you are in a designated analogue signal coverage area, but a site signal survey indicates you cannot receive any analogue signals with a high-gain antenna, 12 metres abouve the ground, you would be eligible for Aurora.

Once you (officially) have Aurora, you can apply for full VAST channel access, regardless if you have analogue reception or not.

If your area currently has analogue coverage and you are not eligible for Aurora, and will not be upgrading to digital terrestrial, you will not be able to obtain VAST commercial channels until 6 months prior to the analogue switchoff in your area.

As you are aware, anyone, anywhere can have ABC/SBS access via VAST.

There is only one model of UEC VAST decoder availabe, DSD4121 (no other brands yet, either).

The PVR upgrade will be applied to the existing model with a firmware update and a new remote control which has the PVR controls.

The remote (like the smartcard) becomes paired with the decoder when you register it.

Once upgraded, an external USB HDD can be used to record/play received VAST channels.

There is still no official release date for the PVR upgrade from UEC, but they keep saying sooooooon.

You can install the VAST decoder now and buy the remote when it becomes available.

Thanks

Thanks mtv
    Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    It all depends if the TX site is, or may be upgraded to digital and sometimes, that decision changes

Have you checked the satellite eligibility on the MySwitch website for your new address?
    The myswitch website shows my nearest self-help site as "This is an analog TV 'self-help' site. Broadcasters have indicated a willingness to negotiate the upgrade of this site to digital TV. If upgraded, this site will transmit the full set of digital TV services" but you can imagine I don't really want to wait for another 6 months or so to get digital, I can get it now at my current house but moving to 5 ghostly analogue channels will drive me crazy LOL. And there's no guarantee that it will get upgraded!

If you are in a designated analogue signal coverage area, but a site signal survey indicates you cannot receive any analogue signals with a high-gain antenna, 12 metres abouve the ground, you would be eligible for Aurora.

Once you (officially) have Aurora, you can apply for full VAST channel access, regardless if you have analogue reception or not.

If your area currently has analogue coverage and you are not eligible for Aurora, and will not be upgrading to digital terrestrial, you will not be able to obtain VAST commercial channels until 6 months prior to the analogue switchoff in your area.
    Thanks for that info, I might get the survey done I'm pretty sure I'll get authorised for Aurora, current analogue PQ is woeful even with a 10 m mast and phased-array antenna. And pity about the UEC, I'm sure my DM8000 could do a better job for me

Thanks

The remote (like the smartcard) becomes paired with the decoder when you register it.
    Surely that can't be right? Pairing a remote with the decoder???

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vk6xlr View Post
    Surely that can't be right? Pairing a remote with the decoder???
    Yep.... sounds weird, but the procedure for the trial boxes was to enter the smartcard and remote control numbers on the website, from which an activation key is generated.

Then you enter the activation key into the decoder with the remote.

It states on the remote instructions:

"The Activation code onthe Front of this pack can only be used once and for one Smartcard/Set Top Box combination ONLY."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

The Website for Getting an Activation code, for the PVR Remote

also had required fields for First Name, Surname, & Phone Number as well,

I don't know if this will come to the release version or not,
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 30-09-11 at 09:30 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Clever aren't they.
    Guess a universal remote is out of the question then?
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

macca,

note this is only for the pvr upgraded ones.
    the original boxes the remote can be used on any of vast boxes

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    note this is only for the pvr upgraded ones.
    the original boxes the remote can be used on any of vast boxes
    Yes, that's correct... the original remotes will work with any UEC VAST decoder.

I cannot understand the need for the PVR remote to be 'paired'.

It bothers me that the instructions say the activation code supplied with the PVR remote can only be used once and for one Smartcard/Set Top Box combination ONLY.

What happens if you need to replace the box/card .. eg: due to a fault, does that mean your perfectly good remote becomes useless and you have to purchase another one, or can UEC issues another activation code or change the pairing?.... I'd be sure they could, but I will ask the question of them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (01-10-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

macca, the only other short term option to get VAST now would be to become a 'Traveler' and get the 6 month tempory permit and then renew it if needed.
    You still need a dish etc now and then come next July when your area 'changes' over, are you going to need the VAST stb or will you get a terrestial service ?
    If VAST, your ahead of the game but if is Terrestial , you've bought an STB you wont have much use for, unless you are a 'Traveler'.

Dont you just love that option of a 'Locked Remote' ??
    Could you see them pulling that stunt in the metropolitain areas when they change over??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

this whole exercise is becoming a joke for something that should be a card only option
    the rest of the world must be laughing at how stupid we look thanks to this idiotic govt we have

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Dont blame this or any other Govt for this (Howard was in power when VAST was started), this is purely at the feet of the broadcasters who tried to pull a swifty with that 'Freeview' crap but unfortunately they seem to have 'Carte Blance' with their bastardy concerning VAST !!!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

A CAM option, even if it's just 1 channel per CAM to combat sharing, would be just perfect for me. Of course, I'd probably buy 10 of the c!nts, but as long as a BYO box was an option, I'd be happy.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (01-10-11),sat 49 (01-10-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    macca, the only other short term option to get VAST now would be to become a 'Traveler' and get the 6 month tempory permit and then renew it if needed.
    thanks gordon_s1942, that option might save a bit of $ while the powers that be decide what to do with the local self-help site

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

or can UEC issues another activation code or change the pairing?.... I'd be sure they could, but I will ask the question of them.
    I did ask about the need to supply your Name & Phone number, being necessary ?

& the reply I received was, The customer details (name, tel number) are just to verify their purchase of an activation kit, in case their original box/remote is damaged or goes faulty.
    Using these contact details, we can provide them with a new Activation code if a replacement box/remote is required.

I also personally think Activating the PVR software in the STB, is being treated like you are activating a different STB, (i.e. a PVR STB.....a new STB ?.....a new activation)
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 01-10-11 at 10:32 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    The myswitch website shows my nearest self-help site as "This is an analog TV 'self-help' site.
    Smacca, what is the name or location of the self-help site. We are upgrading a number of self-help sites to digital over the next two years. I'll see if it's one of ours and, if it is, let you know when it will be done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Smacca, what is the name or location of the self-help site. We are upgrading a number of self-help sites to digital over the next two years. I'll see if it's one of ours and, if it is, let you know when it will be done.
    It's the Byron Reservoir site...cheers