Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd storey extension on slab house?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Thanks for the offer SS Dave but I'm right for the moment. I'm really only canvasing the idea in case it was viable down the track a few years from now when the kids are a little bigger! When buying a house I tend to try and think of all options.

Cheers,
    Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I considered using tiles when I replaced my corrogated iron roof many years ago and I read in the Home Builders Guide that there is a considerable weight difference between the two materials and you need not only a good roof structure to carry the tiles but the wall too may need strenghtening too on older timber framed houses
    I know the tin I bought was around 1/2 a tonne overall but the same area of tiles was somewhere between 5 and 10 tonnes.

I have seen ads for those 'Cape Cod' conversions and the number now that have been done here around Sydney and the Central Coast area shows how popular they are with rising land and house prices for people who need a little more space because its cheaper to Renovate than Relocate.
    And if you like the area and the amenities, why move when you can stay there and have a bit more usable space?
    You have to do the sums yourself as the the costs involved but I am sure the outlay will increase the value of the property in the long term.
    After all, most of us buy to live in long term, not as a short term investment.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (02-10-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

So when's the move & housewarming?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Have the members worked out the benefits of Leroys purchase and enlarging his house, its half way stopover on the Sydney/Melb drive, and you get to watch Satellite TV as well, may be you may be able to do a 4wd side trip into the Mountains one of these days
    Last edited by allover; 02-10-11 at 06:53 PM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (02-10-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

House warming, 4wd trips, sounds like a plan. We should have the paper work next week so looking at early Dec for the move. There's a dish on the roof for Austar but I don't know when everything else will get setup lol.
    We're nice and high and have a great view for C band, not that that was a consideration when buying but it certainly good.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    We're nice and high and have a great view for C band, not that that was a consideration when buying.....
    You really expect us to believe that?....

When I was buying land to build on, years ago... I did signal site surveys on the blocks.

Probably looked very weird to neighbours at the time, but it was worth the effort.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (02-10-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Have the members worked out the benefits of Leroys purchase and enlarging his house, its half way stopover on the Sydney/Melb drive, and you get to watch Satellite TV as well, may be you may be able to do a 4wd side trip into the Mountains one of these days
    It's certainly more convenient to drop by on my MEL/SYD route, than currently.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12