Thread: Dual Decoder Issues

Thanks

Default Dual Decoder Issues

Hi
    I am new to the forum and am just feeling my way around the issue of satellite tv.
    A strange issue came up today when I had to swap out an malfunctioning decoder with a spare one I had.
    I have two decoders in the house running off one satellite dish and LNB.
    When I put in my spare decoder I noticed that although I had the same satellite settings on both decoders the second decoder was operating with a level strength of 90% and a quality strength of 55% with both these levels being in the green.
    The spare decoder that I had installed however was operating with a level at around 90% and quality at 20% and was in the red.
    As both of these units are being fed by the same satellite dish how can it be that they both have such different signal levels?
    The even stranger thing is that both tv's are producing good pictures!
    The unit that I swapped out (due to it becoming inoperative) had signal levels equivalent to the second unit operating (90%, 55% and in the green).
    If anybody can shed some light on this I would be grateful.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,079 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slicknick View Post
    Hi
    I am new to the forum and am just feeling my way around the issue of satellite tv.
    A strange issue came up today when I had to swap out an malfunctioning decoder with a spare one I had.
    I have two decoders in the house running off one satellite dish and LNB.
    When I put in my spare decoder I noticed that although I had the same satellite settings on both decoders the second decoder was operating with a level strength of 90% and a quality strength of 55% with both these levels being in the green.
    The spare decoder that I had installed however was operating with a level at around 90% and quality at 20% and was in the red.
    As both of these units are being fed by the same satellite dish how can it be that they both have such different signal levels?
    The unit that I swapped out (due to it becoming inoperative) had signal levels equivalent to the second unit operating (90%, 55% and in the green).
    Are the two decoders identical make & model and connected to the same outlet? eg: you swapped one for the other at the same wall outlet.

Even if they are, signal 'meters' in decoders are notoriously inaccurate and you could probably have ten same make/model decoders, all showing different signal readings.

The % 'scales' mean very little as they have no direct benckmark to be measured against, such as industry standard signal measurements of dBuV for signal strength and BER/MER for signal quality.

As long as you have reliable reception, what the signal 'bars' display, doesn't matter.
    Last edited by mtv; 02-10-11 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.
    One unit (the one replacing the unit that died) is a 4653 model, and the other one is a 4663 (as was the one that died).
    I have ordered a new 4663 and will see if that changes the signal strength, however I am inclined to agree with you that as long as you have a good picture it does not really matter about what the meter indicates.
    I was more curious than anything as to how there could have been two different readings from the same source!.
    On a different note, is it usual to have to have the sound on the tv turned down to fairly low levels in order not to get a feedback type of sound when receiving your signal through the satellite?
    This is the case on both of my tv's that are connected to the decoders.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,079 Times in 6,766 Posts

On a different note, is it usual to have to have the sound on the tv turned down to fairly low levels in order not to get a feedback type of sound when receiving your signal through the satellite?
    This is the case on both of my tv's that are connected to the decoders.
    Hmmm... more info?

How do you have your audio connected?

Just directly with the TV, stereo amp & speakers, both TV and stereo amp?

How is your video connected?

Thanks

Audio is connected directly to the tv through whichever AV channel I am using for the satellite, and the video is the same, through it's AV channel.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Talking

Hi
    I have two decoders in the house running off one satellite dish and LNB.(1)

(1) More information needed. Are you using multiswitch or the LNB out or twin LNB?
    Are both boxes using the same LNB settings?
    Which Satellite are you looking at?
    If C1/D3, quality should be up around 90%.
    You may have to adjust your dish in Azimuth, Elevation and LNB Skew.
    Also, unless your cabling has not been correctly installed and sealed against moister ingress, another probable cause of your problems.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

Hi Beer4life
    Am only using one LNB and splitting the line with a multiswitch.
    Both boxes have the same LNB settings with different results!.
    I am looking at C1, however the quality may be affected by a tree in the distance which may be sheilding part of the signal.
    Water ingress could be a problem. I thought I had sealed the connections well when I first put the dish up but I might not have done as good a job as I thought!
    Will have a look at that next weekend.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Basic Satellite setup.

Hi Beer4life
    Am only using one LNB and splitting the line with a multiswitch.
    Both boxes have the same LNB settings with different results!.
    I am looking at C1, however the quality may be affected by a tree in the distance which may be sheilding part of the signal.
    Water ingress could be a problem. I thought I had sealed the connections well when I first put the dish up but I might not have done as good a job as I thought!
    Will have a look at that next weekend.

G'Day Cobber,
    It would seem to me that you are not too sure of your setup.
    To be able to do what you want, you need a Twin/Dual output 10700 LNB.
    A true Multiswitch with H and V inputs, NOT a splitter.
    C1 and D3 are co-located and appear as one Satellite.
    As you are using Strongs, you will only get the FTA channels and Aurora with a card.
    The tree would not be selective enough to affect one box and not the other.
    You could try swapping the leads over to see if the fault is in the cable on one box.
    More info needed to advise further.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".