Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCD Vs PLAZMA

Thanks

Default LCD Vs PLAZMA

Guys i would be interested in some thoughts, reviews regarding differences between the 2. Pros, Cons etc...

Currently have a Panasonic rear projection 109cm and looking to upgrade to either LCD or PLAZMA just not sure which one. Some feedback between the 2 would be great

Look Here ->
    Thanks

OHHHH i get to rant again about my favourite subject,
    as a warranty agent i LOVE plasmas, they make us a fortune, always breaking down, blowing up, or just stopping bloody great bits of work....

so thats gota tell you NOT to buy a plasma, now LCD's have improved alot in the last 2 years, no more mouse trails on fast moving action as now the lcd pixels have a 2ms swtching speed. but if it's resolution you want (most detail in the picture) then there's only one way to go "Digital Light Proccessor" or DLP for short, and if you want a big screen then projector is the way to go, after all how big do want the pix, just move it further away. there are many makes of dlp projector NEC, toshiba, panasonic (but thiers is for convention centres and BLOODY expensive) so have a look around, take your own dvd with you to compare, ours is the dvd series 2 of star trek next gen they pan along the side of a large ship and zoom out and you can still see the people in the window as they zoom out, episode "ship in a bottle"
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Plasma has got an S in it

I would say LCD. Plasma's are definately on the way out , have a look at some current big store catalogues and you will they are all mainly advertising LCD's these days. Having said that , there are some cheap Plasma deals at the moment but if something goes wrong with them outside warrranty they are expensive to repair ( and sometimes not worth it ).

Thanks

Hmm... Valid point Sanity. I guess i need something thats sort of future proof as i wont be changing very often in a hurry. As iwacelect stated regarding the real top end stuff, probably not as i dont think i have the room for something that high tech, although gee that would be nice, i'll never leave home!

Interesting about your thoughts on the Plasma's though gives me a good inside, and so far iam heading towards LCD. So is it fair to say that due to the current technology LCD's are great with fast moving images? sports channels etc? any feedback on the Sony Bravia 1000htz? little pricey though

Thanks

I'm with iwacelect, I am currently surrounded by 5 Plasma TV's ATM that have just been repaired. and there are stacks in the bays ready to be looked at. Personaly I am a LCD Fan, and no, we don't fix no where as many of those.

Pioneer and NEC have pulled out of the Plasma business and are now investing back into LCD, so as Sanity says, they are on their way out.

In saying that though, there are some great looking Plasma displays out there, And LCD's have certainly improved over the past year or so. Go to the retail stores and basically compare the two, get a feel of what you like. Compare something like a DVD - Disney cartoon, and if possible look at some fast moving stuff like swimming or footy.

Thanks

yeah some good point there Thinktank thanks. Just hearing of the repaires has scared me off a little, but in saying that no product is flawless. i will check out the two anyway but i am leaning towards the LCD though thanks to some good feedback

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

If you are looking in stores , dont listen to anything the salesman says and if there is something particular you are interested in but the picture looks a bit crap , feel free to get the remote off them and change settings , colors , contrasts etc and see if it can be improved.

A lot of salespeople can and do make certain TV's look a bit " crappy " if they are only getting a shitty commision on that particular product and will try to promote what best puts cash in in their pocket which may not be what is best suited to you.

Your budget also comes in to it. I took a risk and bought 2 x Tevion 106 cm LCD's for $3000 a while ago. They have Samsung panels in them and put out a great picture with a HD box. A lot of people will also tell you that only a brand name TV can give you a good picture

One last thing , if possible go for something with an onsite warranty. Big screen TV's are not much fun to lug around.

Thanks

Great points there Sanity, Mate iam in sales myself and didnt even think of that, "changing the picture" nice little tip. There are so many brands out there i guess i'll just narrow it down to a few that way it will me from going insane lol. Yeah iam looking for something around the 106cm mark cant go to much bigger due to the size of my room. also prefer looking at the 1080p range and see what out there and price.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Lifted from

Items such as large-screen televisions, microwaves, video projectors etc, are again usually far cheaper to repair than to replace. However, consideration must still be given to the age of the unit, its price, what parts are faulty, and the labour required.

Appliance New price $AU Average repair $AU Suggestion
    Large Microwave ovens 300-1000 70-400 Estimate/Repair
    Large Televisions 300-2000 70-400 Estimate/Repair
    Pro Video recorders 800-5000 150-900 Repair
    Projection Televisions 1500-8500 100-800 Repair
    Plasma/LCD Monitors 2000-20,000 500-1000 Repair

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Plasma has got an S in it

I would say LCD. Plasma's are definately on the way out , have a look at some current big store catalogues and you will they are all mainly advertising LCD's these days. Having said that , there are some cheap Plasma deals at the moment but if something goes wrong with them outside warrranty they are expensive to repair ( and sometimes not worth it ).
    what electronic equipment made these days is better to repair than buy the latest upgraded model, that is usually cheaper?

LCD for computer monitor and still images / spreadsheets
    Plasma for sport and action.

Don't worry about how good the latest blueray or HD stuff looks on them, look at how good the worst broadcasts or vision look on them, because the majority of viewing is still of pretty average content.

All personal preferences, but choose wisely.

Thanks

Default Laser TV's??

Has anyone heard anymore about these Laser Tv's that were meant to hit the streets in OZ early this year. Does anyone know what the hell happened to them. They were meant to be on par with plasma's but a fifth the price.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by montessa View Post
    Has anyone heard anymore about these Laser Tv's that were meant to hit the streets in OZ early this year.
    Was driving the other day to work and it was an anouncement on 3AW radio - First big size plasma TV was found on a road, free to good house.
    Heh, says it all.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by montessa View Post
    Has anyone heard anymore about these Laser Tv's that were meant to hit the streets in OZ early this year. Does anyone know what the hell happened to them. They were meant to be on par with plasma's but a fifth the price.
    From memory Laser TV was some sort of joke put out by a manufacturer of large tv's.

Thanks

Have been doing some research based on your comments. Although price wise isnt that much a difference, each i guess had there goods and bads.

However i have made up my mind and choosing an LCD. Just did some homework over the net, checked out pros and cons and where both are heading towards the future. I found that LCD will end up a winner and will tick all the boxes further down the track.

Thats just my take, iam sure others will disagree. Now to find a 'Brand" hmm...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dama View Post
    Have been doing some research based on your comments. Although price wise isnt that much a difference, each i guess had there goods and bads.

However i have made up my mind and choosing an LCD. Just did some homework over the net, checked out pros and cons and where both are heading towards the future. I found that LCD will end up a winner and will tick all the boxes further down the track.

Thats just my take, iam sure others will disagree. Now to find a 'Brand" hmm...
    Dama, i'm a warranty agent for a few brands, so take some advise

GET EXTENDED WARRANTY MATE!!! FROM A REPUTABLE RETAILER!!

that way if it does go bung in 5 years its not your money spent to fix it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post

BWWAHHH, LOL. more sales speak!

Thanks

Depends on what brand LCD you choose, LCD's use about 50% of the power of a plasma which will save you and the environment in the long run I have a Samsung 100Hz full HD 46" F81 and am very happy with the pic quality and the black levels although it does use around 30watts in standby mode which is excessively high.

Anything with a Samsung panel should be ok (Bravias, Samsung, etc) and Samsung are releasing new LCD's models very shortly with even lower response times so I would wait for them.

Laser Tv's are coming but initially like anything will be expensive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ingxen View Post
    Depends on what brand LCD you choose, LCD's use about 50% of the power of a plasma which will save you and the environment in the long run I have a Samsung 100Hz full HD 46" F81 and am very happy with the pic quality and the black levels although it does use around 30watts in standby mode which is excessively high.

Anything with a Samsung panel should be ok (Bravias, Samsung, etc) and Samsung are releasing new LCD's models very shortly with even lower response times so I would wait for them.

Laser Tv's are coming but initially like anything will be expensive.
    hey bro id like to get that model any good with ps3?

Thanks

Don't have a PS3, the TV has a game mode that you can use thats supposedly very good.
    dtvforum dot info has a thread on the F81 and quite a few people have PS3's and say it looks awesome. There is lots of negative posts about the motion plus feature of the TV, just ignore them now as this has all been sorted out with new firmware 1013 and if you still think the motion plus looks bad it can be turned off, I have mine set to low.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast