Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: optus aurora smartcard in vast

Thanks

Default optus aurora smartcard in vast

I know this might have been posted elsewhere but cant find it are optus aurora smartcards compatible with vast

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

And regreatably you WONT.
    VAST isnt compatible with Aurora in any way.
    The ONLY stb that you can use on VAST is the UEC DSD 4121 that comes with its own STB LOCKED encrypted card.
    If you are now an authorised Aurora viewer with the commercial channels, you can obtain a VAST stb and using your Aurora details to receive VAST channels in your area.
    Regreatably the stb and Aurora card now in use will be useless after 2014 if the information now available is correct, unless you want to go hunting other Satelitte channels.
    There is one part of Aurora that will work on VAST and that is the dish but maybe not the LNB if it is more than say 3 years old and uses 11.300 as an IF, the new ones are 10.700, the same as the PayTV LNB's.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 14-10-11 at 01:02 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

What about the dreambox will the optus card will it work in that to open up 7 central etc. Yes mine is 10.700 have foxtel iq2 hd. But all so people have to remember that on vast their is only 3 sets of time zones one is for the south services and north services in queensland and the other is WA. Dont know why people say for your area all the services are the same apart from WA. North And South services are the same. apart from the news
    Last edited by jman; 14-10-11 at 01:29 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

AFAIK, a genuine Optus Aurora card will only give you what it's authorised to decode, in any Irdeto decoder, but it will definitely NOT work in a VAST box.

'Gold cards' for Aurora will open all Aurora channels and some dreamboxes etc can use a softcam to do the same without a card, if you have the appropriate keys, etc.

You cannot get any (encrypted) VAST channels without the VAST Box and smartcard (with the exception of the commercial-only cam & card).

If you want both VAST and Aurora, you will need a dual 10700 LNB with one output to the VAST box and the other to the Aurora box... or you can use a multiswitch with a dual LNB to feed both boxes.

Premium Member

Thanks

At the momemt any STB will accept an Optus Aurora card (except PayTV stbs) as it is not 'Locked' to a specific STB.
    Also VAST is a DVB compatible stb whereas I doubt the Dreambox is and even if the Dreambox can receive the DVB signal, it must also have a card and those cards are only available in each VAST stb.
    Its a bit confusing but my use of 'Area' meant that you are either authorised or not to receive the Commercial channels covering your location.
    Like Aurora you can be authorised to view the ABC and SBS anywhere in Australia, its the Commercial channels that are area designated.
    ABC and SBS are currently running 5 zones which doesnt help much either.
    I am NSW 'South' which seems to include Victoria by the the fact I get the Melbourne News at 6pm on Southern Cross 10
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

quote:If you want both VAST and Aurora, you will need a dual 10700 LNB with one output to the VAST box and the other to the Aurora box... or you can use a multiswitch with a dual LNB to feed both boxes.[/QUOTE]

Apologies but I thought both VAST and Aurora were Vertical and all that was needed was either a simple splitter or a pass through as STB's like the Humax stb have and both could run on a single LNB?

Thanks

I am on a temporary travelers permit but want it activated permanently oh well will just have to go with the travelers permit every year. The south services give me the interstate feeds that's why i want them in am in Adelaide

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    quote:If you want both VAST and Aurora, you will need a dual 10700 LNB with one output to the VAST box and the other to the Aurora box... or you can use a multiswitch with a dual LNB to feed both boxes.
    Apologies but I thought both VAST and Aurora were Vertical and all that was needed was either a simple splitter or a pass through as STB's like the Humax stb have and both could run on a single LNB?[/QUOTE]

They both will work on a simple splitter.

Premium Member

Thanks

There is more than one way to skin the proverbial Cat, it just depends on how keen you are.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    They both will work on a simple splitter.
    Yes, both Aurora and VAST use vertical transponders... for now.

There is absolutely no way I would contemplate using a splitter on VAST signals, as you need every little microvolt and very low BER for VAST to remain reliable.

You can get away with a splitter with Aurora.... but VAST is greatly affected by using a splitter.

I woulld very strongly advise against using splitters for VAST (and I don't use them at all, even for other sat services).... go with a dedicated dual output LNB (not a quad LNB, as they are as bad as a splitter) or use a multiswitch with a dual LNB if you need more than two outputs from the LNB.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

bodgie (17-10-11)

Thanks

I am using a multi splitter as i have a foxtel dish and have foxtel iq2 hd and vast sitting side by side and both work fine i have a signal strength of 33

Premium Member

Thanks

MTV, I didnt think VAST was so pernickerty but thanks for explaining that as I would have just gone alone thinking that because its Vertical, (rather ominus about the NOW remark but point taken) you could just add STB's to a single LNB/cable without hassles.
    What I was thinking of was to just add a VAST stb to those who already have an Aurora stb and get the last out of it before it closes down and then maybe if required, replace it with another VAST stb in time.
    So basicaly, go for a Dual LNB and cable now even if you only have one VAST stb and later consider whether how to go about adding additional ones by adding the electronic switcher for 3 or more.
    Good Future Proofing advise that I simply didnt see.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-10-11 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks

So the optus aurora smartcard is not locked to a box so i could put this in a dreambox. What free to air stations would this give me if i have all services activated

Premium Member

Thanks

All ABC and SBS in each state Timeshifted totaly free without cost or checking on location but not ABC 1,2,24, or SBS 2,2.20 as on Terrestial digital or VAST.
    You still have to ring a 1300 number to get the ABC/SBS channels activated and quote the Smart Card number but your location doesnt matter.
    HOWEVER the 'commercial' part of Aurora is controlled and only allows you to see C7 (prime/7) and Imparja WIN/(9) if your in the EASTERN states, ie NT,SA,Qld,NSW,Tas &Vic, but if your in WA, then there are Goldern West and ??, one does 7 the other does 9, I think.I dont know about ch 10 on Aurora.
    Once the ACMA approves your application, you then contact each of the commercial operators and apply to receive their channels, they have the right to refuse if they choose to do so.
    If you are not in an 'Authorised Aurora' area, you are required to have a site survey done to confirm you are in a 'Blackspot Area' by a Technician and and the form sent to the ACMA who will then decide if you can have the service for that area.
    I have heard this approval could take up to 4 months from the ACMA but I could be misinformed on that.
    Primarily if you havent got an Aurora card now, DONT bother as it costs about $99 the last I checked plus the site survey, plus the time factor, I would be looking seriously at VAST and considering how to get that working instead.
    There are other FTA channels I believe on both C1 and D3 that dont need any card at all.
    The last I looked the free channels were Al Jazerra, TVSN, NITV maybe Expo ? but that was months ago.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-10-11 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks

I am getting all the services activate on ebay for me. I will be using an official optus/Aurora smartcard. Has anyone with vast had a travelers option on and after their six month expiry still had all their services
    Last edited by jman; 15-10-11 at 04:57 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    only allows you to see C7 (prime/7) and Imparja WIN/(9) if your in the EASTERN states, ie NT,SA,Qld,NSW,Tas &Vic, but if your in WA, then there are Goldern West and ??, one does 7 the other does 9, I think.I dont know about ch 10 on Aurora.
    [...]
    There are other FTA channels I believe on both C1 and D3 that dont need any card at all.
    The last I looked the free channels were Al Jazerra, TVSN, NITV maybe Expo ? but that was months ago.
    Aurora card authorised in NSW, Vic, Tas, SA, Qld or NT only
    SCTV Central (aka 7 Central)
    Imparja

Aurora card authorised in WA only
    GWN7
    WIN WA
    Westlink

All Aurora cards
    ABC1 SE
    ABC1 SA
    ABC1 Qld
    ABC1 NT
    ABC1 WA
    SBS ONE SE
    SBS ONE SA
    SBS ONE Qld
    SBS ONE WA
    Various radio

Additional freebies
    ABC3 SE (DVB-S2 only)
    Al Jazeera
    NITV
    TVSN
    Expo
    Foxtel Help
    Austar Help
    DAL
    Various radio
    Last edited by Smacca; 15-10-11 at 07:21 PM.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I am getting all the services activate on ebay for me. I will be using an official optus/Aurora smartcard. Has anyone with vast had a travelers option on and after their six month expiry still had all their services
    If thats the place I am thinking of in Sydney (Castlehill/Spencer) where I bought my VAST stb from, I suggest you re-read their advertising as I found it a little contradictory regarding the obtaining of the authorisation of VAST for customers.
    I dont remember if their 'offer' was available then but I just went online the day I received the STB, filled in the application and within 30 minutes it was working.

I have no idea if any 'Traveler's' have maintained the service after the 6 month period without applying for it.
    Seeing that most of it is computer generated, I would expect it to either 'Flag' a notice for someone to terminate the connection if its not been extended or simply just cut you off at due date unless its been extended.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 16-10-11 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks

For some reason on my dreambox i can pick up 7central but not imparja any reason for this as imparja is only sd i am on dreambox 500s if i can pick up 7central you would think i would be able to pick up imparja. Are their any settings i should change or somthing

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Try a manual scan on the Dreambox

Satellite: 156 Optus C1
    Frequency: 12527
    Polarity: Vertical
    FEC: Auto
    Symbolic Rate: 30000
    Do not tick any of the 4 boxes
    Start scan

Then Look in Providers...(OP)
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Thanks will give it a try i can pick up all the others abc,sbs, just fine but not imparja and can pick up gwn7,win Perth etc Sigh still cant get imparja don't know why it is only sd should be able to pick it up
    Last edited by jman; 16-10-11 at 03:08 PM.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast