Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial: Transfering Map Files to Garmin GPS

Thanks

Cool

Thanks Tiny for thread 4
    I just bought a 2595LMT, and it auto updated first time I connected to the net, but I also added, from the Garmin forums, the 3D img file into the correct folder.
    However when I drove around Sydney at the weekend, it just showed flat dark grey shadows where a 3D building should have been!
    Have I missed out a required file, or is the 2595LMT not 3D compatible?

Thanks
    Blindpete

Sorry Tiny, just re read the first page and thread 10 explains it all !!
    Thanks
    BlindPete
    Last edited by blindpete; 10-12-12 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks

Hi All,
    What is the process to load the maps onto a GARMIN GPSMAP 546S MARINE GPS?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peterpop View Post
    Hi All,
    What is the process to load the maps onto a GARMIN GPSMAP 546S MARINE GPS?
    I have no experience with marine GPS, however most Garmin units will fit somewhere in page 1 of this thread, what you see is what you get.
    If your lucky, another member with marine GPS expertise will help.

Let us know what works.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Peterpop (14-04-13)

Thanks

What do you guys think my success will be with using the following maps on a NUVI 2350.

Going to try and simply use the Alternative 3, I have a 1Gb microSD card that I am going try loading the map files onto in the Map folder.

Alternative 3: Most late model Nuvi’s support multiple maps with anyname.img on a MicroSd card or in the root of the device if they are in a folder called Map. All you need is enough free space.
    Eg;
    CityNavAu.img
    GarminTopoAuNz.img
    TracksforOz.img
    Anything-you-like.img

City Navigator AU is around 180 MB & growing with each release, OZTopo2.1 is 1.3 GB, Garmin Topo Au NZ is 2.6 GB. (You will need a card for this until internal memory of new GPS gets bigger).

When you turn on the Nuvi you will need to go to tools/settings/map/info & turn on or off the map you need. New maps usually default to on. You can have all the maps running at the same time, however it may slow start up & search function if too many or too large.
    Garmin City Navigator Australia and New Zealand NT 2013.40 Mapsource Unlocked

Install the package with the CNNZAUNAVNT2013_40Update.msi file, the setup will install BaseCamp and MapInstall too: replace the original exes with the patched ones.

Maps are already unlocked.

Complete unlocked IMG map included.
    Unlocked 3D Buildings file included.
    Junction View (JCV) files included.
    ASR, SQLite (DB) and G2S file included.

Mapsource v6.16.3 original installer included.
    Mapsource v6.16.3 patched exe included.
    BaseCamp v4.0.5 patched exe included.
    MapInstall v4.0.3 patched exe included.

Complete unlocked IMG map can be viewed on the PC, copy it on an USB drive (Garmin folder) and start BaseCamp.
    thanks

gadgets

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

That will work, however if you want the Junction view feature for that map you will need to add a folder named Garmin to the root of the card then create inside the Garmin folder another folder named JCV with the appropriate JCV file for the map in it.

This all changes if you decide to put the map on Nuvi internal memory as in other options of the Tutorial. BTW if you do this Backup your NUVI files including the hidden ones before you start.

For the JCV file in SD card; correct path is Garmin/JCV/your jcv file
    On nuvi .System/JCV/your jcv file.
    Every new map has a new jcv file.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

gadgets (06-05-13)

Thanks

Can I put 3D buildings on the SD card too?

If so what is the path structure.

Heading to NZ for a 3 week driving holiday, so I figure better update the GPS.

thanks

gadgets

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    Can I put 3D buildings on the SD card too?
    snip ...

thanks

gadgets
    No; your NUVI 2350 does not support 3D buildings.

Specs here,
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Last question before it becomes over kill for what I am trying to achieve.

Can i have the NT and Sensis Maps on the one SD card. For some reason, I can only see the internal storage map and the NT map.

I have renamed the maps to AusNZNT and AusNZSensis. Both maps work if only one is loaded onto the SD card.

Got me stumped.

gadgets

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    Last question before it becomes over kill for what I am trying to achieve.

Can i have the NT and Sensis Maps on the one SD card. For some reason, I can only see the internal storage map and the NT map.

I have renamed the maps to AusNZNT and AusNZSensis. Both maps work if only one is loaded onto the SD card.

Got me stumped.

gadgets
    HMM, just tried this scenario with my Nuvi 1490T & got the same result.

It appears that only 2 versions of City Nav for an area can be read at the same time & as there is already one on the GPS internal memory, only one at a time will be available on the card.
    I suspect it chooses the most recent map on the card by manufacture date, as I used an older map as one for my trial & the Unit told me it was old & should be updated only when the other younger map wasn't on the card. Hope that makes sense?

What version is your internal map, gmapprom?

If you want both maps when you go to NZ; just put the latest Map of your choice on the GPS as gmapprom.img (yes that means update the internal map, no use keeping the old one there if you don't want to use it anyway) & the other on your Sd card.
    Follow the instructions in post #1 of this thread for replacing gmapprom.
    EDIT:Not sure if thwe 2350 falls into the catagory of MTP devices, however if it does you will need to follow Post#4 as well.
    Put the JCV files for the maps in the appropriate places depending on your choice.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Tiny; 07-05-13 at 04:45 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

gadgets (08-05-13)

Thanks

I have another 1Gb micro SD card around here somewhere, I will just load a map onto each.

As I said, way overkill for what I am doing, but learning something in the process.

Don't want to play around without the internal maps as its a work GPS and it has a heap of custom POI loaded, not that I ever use it at work.

gadgets

Thanks

Default Goldwing 2013 -middle east Maps

Hi,
    I have Goldwing 2013 with Navigation and CN North American NT 2013 Map is installed which it's useless in our region so I downloaded middle east 2013 NT Map and installed it on Honda SD card so I could find the roads but without any information totally like no names shown even when i try to find any point of interest it shows icons only like restaurant or hotels without any names very weird !!!!

Any body experienced that before it must be a wrong file or missing file in Garmin's folder !!

I tried to contact Garmin but they told me they are not supporting middle east maps.

I followed the way should update the SD card and maps from Garmin/Goldwing website but it couldn't scan .the SD card

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    No worries, lets go public, quick read of

has given me enough info.

So since you have the firmware done lets go forward.

First: Download this Image Both Parts & unpack
    UnLocked

Unpack the rar files you will find in a folder the City nav map a file called gmapsupp.img if the .img file is not called that it is probably called CNAuNz201330NavteqIMG-UL..img or gmapprom.img, not to worry just rename it exactly as shown in blue.

So you have a new CF card for the GPS, in the root of the card create a folder called Garmin, in it place the gmapsupp.img

That should be recognised by the GPS, if not let me know we'll try again.

As for getting maps into MapSourse, that's a big tutorial, many aspects to cover, so I'll hand that over to;

hope that helps.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi Seeroos,
    Sorry about my slow response, missed this question until now, I would suggest downloading the map again from a different source if possible as it may be corrupt.
    Questions you should look into are; is the map a genuine Garmin map or is it a home made job posted by someone?
    Then reload your SD card as per above.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Post Nuvi 660

Hi Team
    My neighbour has a Nuvi 660 car gps circa around 2006 and has map set installed CNAUS 2008 version.
    Can a update to a later mapset such as the 2013.40 Sensis from this forum.
    I saved the original files as per Tiny's instructions to his C: drive.
    As per the instructions when I look inside the root directory there is heaps of files and folders.
    In thr root Garmin folder I found the old gmapprom(107Mb) map files but when I try to replace them with the new one(218Mb) it tells me can't do it not enough memory. So I tried to delete the old gmapprom files and make a new folder in the root and transfer new gmapprom files to it.
    Again it told me can't do it not enough memory.
    So is it possible to upgrade maps to this unit or should I just say sorry, no go.
    Any help
    Tnx in advance
    Last edited by Blackbiro; 05-10-13 at 05:00 AM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi Blackbiro, quick search & found that there was an update to firmware (2.70 - 3.20) that corrects the Memory Full message.
    This may or may not relate to your problem as your mates Nuvi 660 memory may in fact be full.
    You can download it & install from here
    Don't forget to view the installation instructions at top of page first.
    "Updates & Downloads nuvi 660
    This download area offers free firmware upgrades for select Garmin® units. These upgrades are specific to the specific GPS units and software versions listed.
    Warning

This software should only be uploaded to the unit for which it is intended. If this software is uploaded to a GPS unit other than the product it is designed for, it will render the unit inoperative.
    If the software upload fails, and subsequent upload attempts prove unsuccessful, the unit may need to be returned to Garmin for service."
    So I would update the firmware to the latest version anyway, using Garmin's instructions or using Garmin Express.

After the update if you still have the memory full message then, see if there are ANY files that you can remove from the internal memory (on the device). These are usually "Voice" files, language files or pictures, or MP3 files that may be stored on the device.
    If you look at the folders you have on the device itself, you should see JPEG, MP3, and inside the Garmin folder you should see the "Voice" folder. Each of these folders can have some very LARGE files, so you can COPY those files to your computer,which you have already done, and then delete them from the device. BUT - when it comes to the Voice files, delete ONLY the voices that you do NOT understand - in foreign languages.

And when it comes to deleting files, remember to ONLY delete the ones you are SURE about. If you are NOT sure what a file is for, do NOT delete it.

This may fix your problem , however looking at the specs as quoted from , it is a little short on internal memory, see below, so maybe, since it has an SD card slot available, you could try leaving the old gmapprom on the drive & add the new map to an SD card in a folder called Garmin, name the map gmapsupp.img, then select it, from the menu. You should be able to disable/deselect the old map in the menu as well.

nuvi 660 Features:
    Receiver: high-sensitivity WAAS-capable GPS receiver by SiRF
    Display: 4.3 diagonal, 480 x 272 pixels; WQVGA TFT landscape display, with white
    back-light and touch screen
    Unit dimensions: 4.9"W x 2.9"H x 0.9"D (12.4 x 7.4 x 2.3 cm)
    Weight: 6.2 oz. (190 g)
    Battery life: 3 to 7 hours
    415MB internal memory (Approx 200 MB available)
    Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling
    FM transmitter
    Includes Garmin Lock, an anti-theft feature
    Voice announces streets by name
    Preloaded maps for all of Australia
    Fingertip touch-screen interface
    Look up addresses and points of interest
    Choose 2D or 3D map perspective
    Upload custom POIs, including alerts for speed zones and safety cams
    Built in Travel Kit includes MP3 player with sample MPs, audio books, picture viewer, world clock, currency and measurement converters, calculator and more
    Add optional software such as Travel and Language Guides to personalize nuvi
    SD memory card expansion slot
    USB interface for loading data

Another option if you like, would be to use the MapSource version of the map & create a smaller map file by leaving NZ & a couple of States &/or Northern Territory out of the build, then load it. Kind of getting a bit complicated, so hope the other options work out.

Hope that helps mate, good luck.
    Last edited by Tiny; 05-10-13 at 09:50 AM. Reason: add info
    Cheers, Tiny

Blackbiro (05-10-13)

Thanks

hi Tiny
    We Googled the other day and found software Ver 4.9(from memory) for the 660 but not from the Garmin site. We loaded it in and the unit is displaying that software version so hope it's ok. I will d'load your site file and load it in. I assume Ver 4.9 would have the "Memory Full" fix incorporated in it.
    Yes there are heaps of red light camera files and school crossing files as well as POI files loaded into the memory of course these are 2008 vintage.
    Also geotagged photos of buildings not required could be deleted I think.
    Ok thanks will try again. I'll get it eventually.
    You have spent some time on this problem for me and that's been appreciated.
    Last edited by Blackbiro; 05-10-13 at 11:01 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yes, Vers 4.9 will have all previous fixes included.

Not a lot of time spent, just like to help, as you are for your friend.
    Cheers, Tiny

Blackbiro (06-10-13)

Thanks

Thumbs up Nuvi 660 updated

Hi Tiny
    Got inside my neighbors' 660 and deleted as much info as possible that wasn't needed. All Help files except English, all vehicles except cars and some POI's and Voices except English.
    The CNAUNZ 2013.4 Sensis loaded and ran ok. So being pleased with that I updated again to CNAUNZ 2014.20 Sensis and that loaded and ran ok without any "memory full" messages.
    So we are all happy campers thanks to your input.
    Thanks Tiny.
    Cheers

• The Following User Says Thank You to Blackbiro For This Useful Post:

Tiny (14-10-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Excellent, always great to hear about a happy ending.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Hi,

I am going on a roadtrip to australia this summer, i am there for in need of a map for australia to go with my garmin 2595 lmt. Currently i have full europe coverage with lifetime updates. My trouble is that i would like to keep the europe maps on my unit and put the new australia map on sd-card.
    But how should the files go on there, in what directories?
    Where should the JCV, SID and 3d files be?

And another thing will this map and all other files work for my unit, and in if so which JCV file should be used?

Thx, Aksel from Denmark

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi Aksel, welcome to the forum.

Before you do any changes to your GPS Make a BACK UP including hidden .system folder. See page 1. Please read thoroughly.

For your 2595, you can leave the Europe map where it is & create what you need on an SD card as you have said.
    Card can be 2GB to 16GB.

The simplest form for this is
    1; Create a folder called Garmin in the root of the SD card (Details read page 1)
    You can put the map .img file in there & you must name it gmapsupp.img if it is not already called that. Which it isn't according to the download. So rename it.

2; In the Garmin Folder create a folder called JCV, in this put the JCV file for this map set.
    Path SD:\Garmin\JCV - file for the above map set is D3531080A.JCV

3: Create another folder in root of SD card & call it Map, in this you put the 3d Buildings file for the map set; gmap3d.img Forget that, just looked up spec for your Unit, it is not 3d Buildings capable, so leave it off.
    You can if you like put the City Nav Map .img file in here instead of the Garmin folder. In Map folder the img can be named anything.img

4: SID file goes in your GPS Device in the SID folder if you have it located in hidden .sytem folder. If not, don't add it.
    You probably don't need to worry about this file for your journey. It's only Traffic Trend information.

Hope that helps, enjoy your road trip.
    Cheers, Tiny

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast