Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial: Transfering Map Files to Garmin GPS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Hi Aksel, welcome to the forum.

Before you do any changes to your GPS Make a BACK UP including hidden .system folder. See page 1. Please read thoroughly.

For your 2595, you can leave the Europe map where it is & create what you need on an SD card as you have said.
    Card can be 2GB to 16GB.
    Already done! (-:

The simplest form for this is
    1; Create a folder called Garmin in the root of the SD card (Details read page 1)
    You can put the map .img file in there & you must name it gmapsupp.img if it is not already called that. Which it isn't according to the download. So rename it.
    Understood!
    2; In the Garmin Folder create a folder called JCV, in this put the JCV file for this map set.
    Path SD:\Garmin\JCV - file for the above map set is D3531080A.JCV
    Understood!
    3: Create another folder in root of SD card & call it Map, in this you put the 3d Buildings file for the map set; gmap3d.img Forget that, just looked up spec for your Unit, it is not 3d Buildings capable, so leave it off.
    You can if you like put the City Nav Map .img file in here instead of the Garmin folder. In Map folder the img can be named anything.img
    Got it confused, my specs say something like 3d-traffic which apperently is traffic updates...
    4: SID file goes in your GPS Device in the SID folder if you have it located in hidden .sytem folder. If not, don't add it.
    You probably don't need to worry about this file for your journey. It's only Traffic Trend information.
    I have SID file, so it will go in there!
    Hope that helps, enjoy your road trip.
    Thx, I know we will! One last question, is there any way to test the map before we leave, it would be nice to know that it works before we leave for Australia. I know i can plot in route in the tripplaner and play it, but this doesnt give me commands as "turn left" or junctionview. It only shows an arrow going down the route.

Again thank you for your help!

Aksel S, Denmark

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aksel S For This Useful Post:

raedemarkshant (29-04-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aksel S View Post
    One last question, is there any way to test the map before we leave, it would be nice to know that it works before we leave for Australia. I know i can plot in route in the tripplaner and play it, but this doesnt give me commands as "turn left" or junctionview. It only shows an arrow going down the route.
    Aksel S, Denmark
    Whilst in Europe, I don't know of an easy way to test.

Basically, if you load the map & JCV files on card as posted, load the card in the unit switch it on, if the map is available in Settings/Map & Vehicle/My Maps (installed maps) & can be ticked or unticked, then it will work.
    I have 3 Australian maps on an SD card, as well as a JCV file for a different City Nav (Sensis) on a Nuvi 2597 & 1490, all work perfectly. Also have the CN navteq map in the .system folder as gmapprom.img. 4 Maps to select from depending on the detail of the area I want.
    Don't worry the one you have selected should be enough for your trip unless you intend to go bush/outback/4wheel drive country, in that case you might want Topo Australia & New Zealand v4 or OZTopo V5

The download you have selected is definitely a good working map, I've tested it on my Nuvi 1490T.
    Just make sure you use the unlocked image & unpack/extract the rar file before putting the .img file on the card. Same for all downloaded rar or zip files.
    If nothing shows up in Settings/Map & Vehicle/My Maps (installed maps), then you either have it loaded incorrectly, in the wrong place or you have it incorrectly named.
    If it shows up then your good to go as you're GPS can read it.

Note: Settings/Map & Vehicle/My Maps (installed maps) - this path may have different wording in your GPS depending on language settings.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Basically, if you load the map & JCV files on card as posted, load the card in the unit switch it on, if the map is available in Settings/Map & Vehicle/My Maps (installed maps) & can be ticked or unticked, then it will work.
    I have 3 Australian maps on an SD card, as well as a JCV file for a different City Nav (Sensis) on a Nuvi 2597 & 1490, all work perfectly. Also have the CN navteq map in the .system folder as gmapprom.img. 4 Maps to select from depending on the detail of the area I want.
    Don't worry the one you have selected should be enough for your trip unless you intend to go bush/outback/4wheel drive country, in that case you might want Topo Australia & New Zealand v4 or OZTopo V5

The download you have selected is definitely a good working map, I've tested it on my Nuvi 1490T.
    Just make sure you use the unlocked image & unpack/extract the rar file before putting the .img file on the card. Same for all downloaded rar or zip files.
    If nothing shows up in Settings/Map & Vehicle/My Maps (installed maps), then you either have it loaded incorrectly, in the wrong place or you have it incorrectly named.
    If it shows up then your good to go as you're GPS can read it.

Note: Settings/Map & Vehicle/My Maps (installed maps) - this path may have different wording in your GPS depending on language settings.
    Great! Will only be using larger roads, no offroad og 4wd, so i believe this map will be sufficient. Again thank very much for your help!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Aksel S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have now succesfully loaded the map and junction view files on a sd card. I found out that if you go in programs and trip planning you can plan a trip and then view the steps of the trip and there it will also view junctions. So this works great!
    But I am still missing POI's are they not included in the map? Where can i find theese? And are there any that you can recommend? I am in need of basic POI's like gas stations, places to eat, hospitals and stuff like that?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aksel S For This Useful Post:

raedemarkshant (29-04-14),Tiny (28-10-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

I have now succesfully loaded the map and junction view files on a sd card. I found out that if you go in programs and trip planning you can plan a trip and then view the steps of the trip and there it will also view junctions. So this works great!
    Excellent, haven't tried that as I do my trip planning on the PC in MapSource or BaseCamp. Glad it worked for you & thanks for sharing your find.

But I am still missing POI's are they not included in the map? Where can i find theese? And are there any that you can recommend? I am in need of basic POI's like gas stations, places to eat, hospitals and stuff like that?
    OK, "basic POI's like gas stations, places to eat, hospitals and stuff like that" are included in the map. I would say you probably won't be able to see those POI's in any simulation or trip planning mode on your GPS or in Search until you are in Australia, as your GPS searches for POI"s relevant to it's location. Of course I may be proved wrong here. There is an option to change the search criteria in "Where to?" Tap "Searching near; My Current location" at top right & it brings up a list including "My Active Route", "My Destination" & "A Different Town". Wording of these may be different depending on your language settings. I'm sure you will find it, you have done well so far.

To search & check the basic POI's included with the map on your PC, you can load the map into Garmin BaseCamp. Browse & search the map & POI's
    You don't need a special version of the map for this as it will load the maps from your GPS via USB.
    free download.
    If you want to load custom POI's for Australia you will find lots at and

Poi's are also map layer specific & can appear at certain zoom levels then disappear at other zoom levels. There is also an option in Settings/Map & Vehicle/Map Layers/Places Along the road. That can be selected or not. However, I don't think that's your problem at the moment.
    But worth a read for educational purposes. https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={69477cf0-cabc-11e0-cf56-000000000000} You may have to copy & Paste this link into a new tab or browser window.

More fun to have, hope that helps. and
    Last edited by Tiny; 28-10-13 at 10:32 AM. Reason: fix link
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

cammo78 (14-01-14),raedemarkshant (29-04-14)

Thanks

OK, "basic POI's like gas stations, places to eat, hospitals and stuff like that" are included in the map. I would say you probably won't be able to see those POI's in any simulation or trip planning mode on your GPS or in Search until you are in Australia, as your GPS searches for POI"s relevant to it's location. Of course I may be proved wrong here. There is an option to change the search criteria in "Where to?" Tap "Searching near; My Current location" at top right & it brings up a list including "My Active Route", "My Destination" & "A Different Town". Wording of these may be different depending on your language settings. I'm sure you will find it, you have done well so far.
    Once again youre right!
    Just had to put in search near and then an adress. Again Thx alot, now i just need to find alot of usefull POI's and I will be ready for Australia!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Aksel S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cool Garmin Express

I had the occasion to to connect my 1490 to the Garmin website recently to check for the latest software and stuff using Garmin Express Ver 2.3.17.0. My software was up to date (Ver 6.2 ) so I checked out and loaded some of the extra ancillary files like "Updated Help Files-Update screen resolution-Install Proximity allert Text-Inproved Text translation and Inproved Aus' "KEN'S" pronunciation of Place names"
    All went well but I have noticed that the Elevation calculation on the Map screen now reads a bit higher varying by as much as five meters than normal than it did before in the same spot. I have an accurate council contour map of my front yard and roadway just to verify.
    I wonder if anyone else has had this problem? I suppose one could Restore back to factory settings if it becomes annoying. I like to check elevations as I tour around OZ just for interests' sake.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Blackbiro For This Useful Post:

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

I checked mine out on known elevations today just for you , it's within 5 metres, I personally wouldn't expect any better as GPS wise it only can be within 3 metres of known position at best by current legislation.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Blackbiro (17-01-14),raedemarkshant (29-04-14)

Thanks

Default Nuvi 1350 map update

hello Tiny, need a little help here.

I have been scouring through your tutorial but I'm having some trouble updating the map/s on my wife's Garmin Nuvi 1350.

So far I have made full backups of the device, I have downloaded the unlocked Mapsource (CNAUNZNT201420GMAP-UL.rar) files from Pietu (thank you Pietu) and have tried renaming the City Navigator And New Zealand NT 2014.20.gmap folder to gmapprom.img (after deleting existing gmapprom.img) and my detailed maps, repaired device and detailed maps are back. Have tried to remame a CN_AUSNZ.MDR file to gmapprom.img and same result of losing detailed maps.

Have tried using the CNNZAUNT2014_20Udate.msi but it stops and tells me Disk1.cab file is inacessible...?

I have changed the files and folders setting to allows access but no luck so far.

Are the maps I downloaded even compatible with my wife's GPS?

Any help is much appreicated

Twinfire from the land of Oz trail ya :-)
    Last edited by Twinfire; 17-01-14 at 02:23 PM. Reason: add pix

• The Following User Says Thank You to Twinfire For This Useful Post:

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

First of all put the GPS back the way it was before you started with this.

Step 2, The files you have downloaded are for installing on your PC.
    The files you want for putting on the GPS are the Unlocked .img file.
    So download the correct file & in the downloaded rar file, after you unpack it, there will be a file called gmapprom.img or gmapsupp.img.
    Step 3, Rename this file to gmapprom.img then copy & paste into your GPS in the .system folder.
    When you do this it will ask if you want to replace the existing gmapprom.img with the new. Say yes or confirm.

Job done.
    Last edited by Tiny; 18-01-14 at 04:48 PM. Reason: clarity
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Default File Does Not contain Maps

Does anyone have any bright ideas please?
    I have a Nuvi 1450LM and am trying to add maps for California and UK. I sourced these from
    I then re-named them and placed one in the SD card (FAT32) Garmin folder.
    The trouble is that the GPS does not see any maps in the img file.
    Checking tools/settings/map/info, there is no sign of another map. Using JaVaWa, the file is seen OK and also the area covered is recognised: but it says that there is no map data.
    I have tried:
    * Two different img files (different areas)
    * a wide variety of file names (including SD/Garmin/gmapsup1.img, SD/Garmin/gmapsup.img, SD/Garmin/gsupmap1.img, SD/gmapsupp.img
    * a variety of locations (including SD/Map and also Device/Map...also trying gsupmapx.img)

Two days later, I am baffled. Help!!??

• The Following User Says Thank You to robinb For This Useful Post:

Thanks

1xxx series will only recognise only one image file in the microSD root folder named Garmin and that's gmapsupp.img. However it will recognise numerous maps in a microSD root folder named Map with anyname.img ie: US_California.img will work. Your AU 1450 can use Garmin Navteq/HERE data NT City Navigator maps for those regions which are generally superior to the OSM non-NT format anyway. However in this case it seems obvious that there is some corruption in the map data as reported by JaVaWa tool. I'm assuming that you actually downloaded the already compiled images as you said.

Open the images in GMAPTool and check for errors. If when you press 'info' or 'details' tab you get a message 'result is faulty' or similar then your OSM maps are toast for sure.

Code:
    http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/gmaptool
    If you'd like to have 'short-cut' maps for UK from EU CNNT & CA from NA CNNT then post again and i'll compile them for you

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

raedemarkshant (29-04-14),robinb (28-04-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    1xxx series will only recognise only one image file in the microSD root folder named Garmin and that's gmapsupp.img. However it will recognise numerous maps in a microSD root folder named Map with anyname.img ie: US_California.img will work. Your AU 1450 can use Garmin Navteq/HERE data NT City Navigator maps for those regions which are generally superior to the OSM non-NT format anyway. However in this case it seems obvious that there is some corruption in the map data as reported by JaVaWa tool. I'm assuming that you actually downloaded the already compiled images as you said.

Open the images in GMAPTool and check for errors. If when you press 'info' or 'details' tab you get a message 'result is faulty' or similar then your OSM maps are toast for sure.

Code:
    http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/gmaptool
    If you'd like to have 'short-cut' maps for UK from EU CNNT & CA from NA CNNT then post again and i'll compile them for you
    Thanks so much for the very helpful reply. I had the paths and names OK (tested just about every combination possible!) and yes, I did actually 'order' and download the img files.
    Ill try that GMAPTool idea when I am next at a computer.....but could I please take up your offer for the 'short cuts'. Many thanks!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Might I just suggest something here, when you downloaded the maps; if they were in a Zip or Rar format folder did you unzip the zip file or unpack the Rar file before putting them on card or device? You need to.
    Also when unpacked they will be in a folder, do not place the folder in the device or card, place the .img file only in a folder Garmin or Map as already mentioned.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Thanks for that. Yes, both those points OK thanks! I'd assign myself to the geriatric home if I made that sort of mistake!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robinb View Post
    Thanks for that. Yes, both those points OK thanks! I'd assign myself to the geriatric home if I made that sort of mistake!
    Cool, it is however a not so uncommon error.

So it would appear then that the maps must be corrupt or in the incorrect format. Gmaptool combined with cGpsmapper will help you there. It maybe just a simple header error.

Have you thought of just downloading the unlocked NT versions of those maps from
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Hmm. All four of my OSM downloads were faulty! Thanks for the GMapTool hint!
    I grabbed a City Navigator and that was great.
    Here is the fault:
    U: 00000-00000-00000-00000-00000
    F: PID 1, FID 3222, CN Europe NT 2014.40
    End.
    ================================================== ==================
    Reading file C:/Users/Robin/Downloads/gmapprom.img.
    Bad data in TRE subfile, file C:/Users/Robin/Downloads/gmapprom.img.
    File: C:/Users/Robin/Downloads/gmapprom.img, length 296673280
    File format errors (4)
    Header: 25.04.2014 09:47:02, DSKIMG, XOR 00, V 0.00, Ms 0
    Mapset: OSM generic routable new(California_23-04-2014)
    There were errors, result is faulty.
    End.

Thanks

Yep, they're cactus. It happens sometimes with OSM image downloads.

Do you still want the either of the CN NT UK & Ireland and/or California maps? I have the files, just a matter of uploading then if you need one or the other.

Thanks

No, I'm cool now thanks. Your help has been a lifesaver.

Surething (29-04-14)

• 26-03-16, 03:42 PM

Reason
    useless crap to get post count up to PM I suspect

Thanks

Default Honda GPS

Hello

I have a 2012 Australian Honda Odyssey. Its navigation maps are out of date and I would like to update them if possible. An Update Notice message on the Head unit said -
    "An update may be available for the following map data. CN Aus & NZ NT 2012.10. "

Is it possible to update the maps on the SD card?

I am not sure where to go from here as the dealer has not been helpful although would sell be a updated SD card for $500 which is not worth while for a 10 year old car.

Regards
    John

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast