Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial: Transfering Map Files to Garmin GPS

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Default Tutorial: Transfering Map Files to Garmin GPS

* If you have purchased a map & have a disc, card or download - follow the retailer’s directions.

* If you want to transfer maps, parts of maps or combined maps with MapSource or BaseCamp or HomePort, then read their very good help files.

* For those of you who have been given a map by a friend like the ones in some threads here, read on.

* If you’re not confident working with Computer directories, please get someone who is competent to help you so you don’t turn your GPS into a paperweight.

The Maps for your Garmin GPS are .IMG files, when you download or have a file named gmapprom.img or gmapsupp.img you don’t have to do anything to the file to transfer it to your GPS . Unless it’s in a .zip or .rar file, if so unpack it first.
    That’s assuming you downloaded the unlocked file, if you have a locked file, unlock with fast image unlocker or go back & download the unlocked version.
    There are different ways to update the map on your GPS, it depends on your Garmin model. Please read notes at the end no matter which method you use.

For The Current & Latest Garmin Series (1xxx/2xxx/37xx)

First you need to set up your computer. What you need to do before you replace City Nav or gmapprom.img with a newer unlocked map version is first turn off Garmin Agent if you have it installed on your PC, then in Windows Explorer under Tools/Folder Options/View, make sure that you have "Show Hidden Files & Folders" checked as well as removing the tick from beside "Hide protected operating system files" a couple of lines below. Then apply. You can reverse this setting to hide the files & folders on your PC when you’re finished by simply ticking “Don’t show Hidden Files & Folders"

Now you’re ready to start.

After connecting your Nuvi with USB cable to your PC it will boot into Data Transfer/USB/PC connect mode, this may take a few seconds to a minute then if auto play asks, select “Open folder to view Files,” you will be able to see your Nuvi, if not go to Computer, locate your GPS right click - select explore, now you should see a folder called .system. As well as a few others, .system is the one we want.

1: Make a backup copy of .system folder & any others you feel important (all of them) & save to your PC for just in case something goes wrong, eg; a power outage or PC crash - incomplete data transfer can cause problems that you may need a copy of your GPS files & folders to fix!!

2: Open the System folder on your Nuvi

3: Replace old gmapprom.img with new gmapprom.img by drag drop/copy paste (say yes to file overwrite/replace - you've saved a copy for justin) This process may take a while to complete.

4: Junction view files should be updated with every new City Nav map - make sure you have the right one then, open JCV Folder. Delete old JCV file - (you've saved a copy for justin)
    If you can’t find JCV folder, your model Nuvi probably does not support Junction view. If not skip steps 4 & 5.

5: Put new JCV file in JCV folder.

6: Now close windows explorer & eject USB drive (your Nuvi)

7: Remove USB cable

8: Let your Nuvi turn off or reboot.

Job done, your new map will load when you turn it back on.

You can also as an alternative 1:
    if there is enough free space, create a folder in the root of the Garmin Nuvi called Map then rename the new gmapprom.img to gmapsupp.img & put it in the Map folder.

Alternative 2:
    put the renamed file gmapsupp.img on a MicroSd card (formatted Fat32) in a folder named Garmin then insert in Nuvi, if it has a card slot, select or deselect the map in tools/settings/map/info.

Alternative 3:
    Most late model Nuvi’s support multiple maps with anyname.img on a MicroSd card or in the root of the device if they are in a folder called Map. All you need is enough free space.
    Eg;
    CityNavAu.img
    GarminTopoAuNz.img
    TracksforOz.img
    Anything-you-like.img

City Navigator AU is around 180 MB & growing with each release, OZTopo2.1 is 1.3 GB, Garmin Topo Au NZ is 2.6 GB. (You will need a card for this until internal memory of new GPS gets bigger).

When you turn on the Nuvi you will need to go to tools/settings/map/info & turn on or off the map you need. New maps usually default to on. You can have all the maps running at the same time, however it may slow start up & search function if too many or too large.

For Older Garmin GPS
    Maps will be inside a folder called Garmin, the gmapprom.img map is the original pre-installed map
    To update this map you can:
    1 - Replace the original map (gmapprom.img) with the one downloaded, you can rename the downloaded map to gmapprom.img if it is named something else like gmapsupp.img
    2 – You can use the downloaded map named gmapsupp.img just copy to Garmin folder.
    3 – Using an SD card
    Format card to Fat32 if it’s not already & create a Garmin folder. Copy the gmapsupp.img to the Garmin folder. You can use only one map on the SD card. See Notes.

Handhelds:
    Most late model handhelds also support multiple maps with anyname.img on a MicroSd, however the folder must be called Garmin.
    Some also support this on the GPS internal memory if there is enough space.
    If your adding Topo maps it is unlikely there is enough space internally for the whole map so you will be better off using Mapsource or BaseCamp map install to create maps for the region you want.

Older handhelds: You will need to put 1 map file named gmapsupp.img on an Sd card or a portion of the map/s in the internal memory, multiple maps are achievable see notes below.

Garmin GPS with Garmin Data Card: Should have a serial cable to connect to PC, will be very slow.
    To speed things up.

Credit to precious for the following bit of info.

You need the Garmin data card reader/writer
    You can get them on Ebay
    or here

Please Note:
    * You can have 2 maps named gmapsupp.img one in the GPS and one on the SD card.
    * You can make small maps for your GPS with limited memory by selecting only the map region tiles you need in Mapsource before transferring to your GPS. (Read MS help files)
    * You can combine multiple maps in Mapsource & with Gmaptool to make one gmapsupp.img. So they can be selected on your GPS as separate maps. (Read their help files)
    * Mapsource will make a folder called Garmin on your device or card & will overwrite any map named gmapsupp.img in that folder if one already exists. Backup, Backup before you start doing anything you don’t understand.
    * There is a 4GB size limit for .img files on your GPS & SD card due to Fat32 limitations. There is also a maximum tile limit for maps that varies from small to large depending on the individual GPS model, too many to list, Google it.
    * JCV - junction view, 3D Building files, etc. are for devices with this capability. If you can’t find them on your GPS then you can’t just add them & make them work. Although if you do & it works please share.
    * If you download a map & transfer to your GPS & it doesn’t work, don’t panic, download it again, sometimes they get corrupted in download, unpacking, or transferring.
    * Some .rar files refuse to unpack; I have found that renaming the extension to .zip works, most of the time if the file is complete.
    Last edited by Tiny; 15-10-11 at 09:18 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

atx9211 (01-12-11),Blackbiro (16-10-11),Bludger (04-12-11),bondy99 (15-04-13),immune (24-06-13),Kevaclone (25-12-11),marty 17 (07-05-12),MultiSlayer (21-03-12),pandorf (29-04-13),pedro99 (19-10-13),quebec001 (26-04-17),Siganid (11-05-13),tristen (02-02-12),willt647 (02-12-11),XmOm (09-11-11)

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

For the current City navigator map there are 2 JCV files.

The 37xx is for the Nuvi 3700 series & is slightly different in the fact that the views are cropped to a portrait view.

The 7xx is for all other models including 1xxx & 2xxx.
    These view in landscape for widescreen.

Providing that your Nuvi model supports Junction view these files should work for you. See above for where to put them.
    Last edited by Tiny; 29-11-11 at 09:47 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

In the latest City Navigator maps you will notice that there are some extra files in the download accompanying the JCV files.
    All these files can be updated in the same manner described in first post for JCV & 3D files. If your Nuvi doesn't have them, skip. If your not sure, don't.
    Don't forget to backup/make a copy of your original files for just in case.

The files are:

SQlite - this is for TrafficTrend info - should be updated

GS2 - this is for MyTrend info - not sure you should update this file as described in links below this feature is built around your driving habits.

ASR - this is for voice command info & needs to be updated with map set on devices with this feature.

For more info:
    on TrafficTrend & what it does, have a look here [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUxnPrqqchA"]nüRoute? technology - trafficTrends? - YouTube[/ame]

on myTrends https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={06e102a0-4d56-11df-7a03-000000000000}
    & here

For more info on these file types there is a tutorial at GPS Underground.You may have to be a registered member of GPS Underground to view this.
    Last edited by Tiny; 25-12-11 at 09:53 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Kevaclone (25-12-11),pedro99 (19-10-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Default New 2012 Nuvi Series (34XX, 24XX, 25XX)

Ok, with the new year has come new technology.

The New 2012 Nuvi Series (34XX, 24XX, 25XX) are MTP Devices.
    Want more info on MTP

So when you connect it to your PC it will be listed in other devices.
    It will not show system folder etc. & will not be recognised by MapSource.

If you have purchased one of these & didn't get free lifetime Map updates.

Or maybe you want to play around with the internals & or connect to Mapsource.

What you need to do is this;

• In the GPS go to Volume
    • Then hold the upper right corner a few seconds and it will show a hidden menu.
    • Go to MTP Setting and choose Mass Storage or Mass Storage Single Session.
    • Connect the GPS to your computer and now it will show up in My Computer as a removable disk and everything is accessible as usual.
    • Including using it in MapSource.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

blindpete (09-12-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

Garmin GPS with Garmin Data Card: Should have a serial cable to connect to PC, will be very slow.
    To speed things up.

Credit to precious for the following bit of info.

You need the Garmin data card reader/writer
    You can get them on Ebay
    or here

most microSD cards come with an adapter to allow you to slot the card into PC. would it work the same way as the reader/writer?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

The Garmin data card discussed here is not an SD card.

For SD cards, yes you can use a card adapter & reader or your GPS to access & edit the cards contents.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Didn't see that
    Last edited by Greg; 15-03-12 at 08:07 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi Greg, you may not have noticed that link is included in post#3
    Thanks anyway.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Can i download the 3D part and put it on a Garmin nuvi 2495LMT and also can i put the Garmin Topo Au & NZ V3 on it as well hope so but want to know from u guys first...

Thanks if u can help me out...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGuy View Post
    Can i download the 3D part and put it on a Garmin nuvi 2495LMT and also can i put the Garmin Topo Au & NZ V3 on it as well hope so but want to know from u guys first...

Thanks if u can help me out...
    According to the specs for your 2495LMT it does not have 3D Building or Terrain View capabilities, so AFAIK you just can't add the file & make it work.

Yes you can put Garmin Topo V3 on a Micro SDHC card & use it on your unit, card will need to be at least 4GB as the map set is 2.6GB.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

According to the specs for your 2495LMT it does not have 3D Building or Terrain View capabilities, so AFAIK you just can't add the file & make it work.

Yes you can put Garmin Topo V3 on a Micro SDHC card & use it on your unit, card will need to be at least 4GB as the map set is 2.6GB.

Hope that helps.
    Thx tiny what a piss off with the 3D maps would have loved to have them on...

I know there is a button in there that has 3D but thats all i know...

Thanks

I have a few questions regarding problems with the last time I updated maps in my Garmin 1390
    1- as soon as I copy the new map into the Map folder, even if I did not delete the old map, I could not see it in map setting anymore. It only appears when I delete the new map. Now it's just weird.
    2- the reason I want to keep the old map is that I feel like it has more poi than the update map. Can anybody explain it for me please. Thanks

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr_kluv View Post
    I have a few questions regarding problems with the last time I updated maps in my Garmin 1390
    1- as soon as I copy the new map into the Map folder, even if I did not delete the old map, I could not see it in map setting anymore. It only appears when I delete the new map. Now it's just weird.
    2- the reason I want to keep the old map is that I feel like it has more poi than the update map. Can anybody explain it for me please. Thanks
    1. first of all the, assuming your talking about City Navigator being the "old map" gmapprom.img - it would be in the folder .system on a 1390.

2. if you want to have both maps old & new in .system folder then you will need to rename one of them gmapsupp.img.

Alternatively you can create a folder called Map in the root of the device or on a MicroSD card then you can name maps anythingyoulike.img in that folder.

You will then be able to select the old & new maps from Tools/Settings/Map/Info.
    Hope that clears things up.
    Last edited by Tiny; 07-05-12 at 07:15 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

1. first of all the, assuming your talking about City Navigator being the "old map" gmapprom.img - it would be in the folder .system on a 1390.

2. if you want to have both maps old & new in .system folder then you will need to rename one of them gmapsupp.img.

Alternatively you can create a folder called Map in the root of the device or on a MicroSD card then you can name maps anythingyoulike.img in that folder.

You will then be able to select the old & new maps from Tools/Settings/Map/Info.
    Hope that clears things up.
    I have just had some spare time & so thought I'd revisit this subject, although a couple of years ago I had both an old & a new City Navigator map selectable on my 1490T, I just tried it again in all the above combinations & can only select the newest map.
    The older map is no longer visible no matter where I put it or what I name it.
    My conclusion is that since I first did that I have updated my Nuvi firmware, which seems now to only read the youngest City Nav map for the same area if 2 are present.

My apologies to mr_kluv & any one else I may have mislead in this thread.

Edit: although the techniques do not work with an old & new City Nav map of the same area at the same time, the original post is still correct at this time for use with other maps.
    I doubt many people would want 2 of the same map anyway.
    Last edited by Tiny; 10-05-12 at 05:52 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I know I am probably reopening an old thread but can anyone help.

I recently purchased a 2nd hand Honda Goldwing, 2008 model and it has Hondas built in Nav system which is running maps from Garmin. Having spent a couple of weeks, yer you read it correctly WEEKS trying to get info out of Garmin about updating the maps this morning I received an email saying not possible.

Well reading it appears the yanks have it working. I cannot for the life of me figure this out the. I have managed to get the firmware on the bikes NAV unit upto 4.60 but from here I am stumped. I have downloaded and installed Mapsource, I have also downloaded City Navigator Australia And New Zealand NT 2012.40.gmap and installed into C:ProgramData/GARMIN/Maps but I cannot get Mapsource to actually 'see' the maps.. I have hit a wall and cannot figure this out. Now it's probably old age catching up with me and I have missed some step or something. Can anyone offer any assistance?

The maps are loaded onto a compact flash card in the bike, I have bought another CF card to attempt to get this running as I do not want to risk corrupting the original Honda card. The original car has City Navigator 2008 with map dated 2007

Anyone ??

TIA

TomaHawk..

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Interesting, it shouldn't be too hard, I'll have a look into it as I don't know your GPS.
    Have some contact with Honda, used to race them.
    If someone else with knowledge of the Honda GPS can help in the mean time would be good.
    Give me a couple of days I'll get back to you.
    Cheers, Tiny

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks Tiny,

have also PM'd you prior to reading this so feel free to ignore that one

Cheers

TH

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomaHawk View Post
    Thanks Tiny,

have also PM'd you prior to reading this so feel free to ignore that one

Cheers

TH
    No worries, lets go public, quick read of
    Well reading it appears the yanks have it working.
    has given me enough info.

So since you have the firmware done lets go forward.

First: Download this Image Both Parts & unpack
    UnLocked

Unpack the rar files you will find in a folder the City nav map a file called gmapsupp.img if the .img file is not called that it is probably called CNAuNz201330NavteqIMG-UL..img or gmapprom.img, not to worry just rename it exactly as shown in blue.

So you have a new CF card for the GPS, in the root of the card create a folder called Garmin, in it place the gmapsupp.img

That should be recognised by the GPS, if not let me know we'll try again.

As for getting maps into MapSourse, that's a big tutorial, many aspects to cover.
    Last edited by Tiny; 29-11-12 at 07:52 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

TomaHawk (29-11-12)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Tiny,

mate thanks a bunch for your help. As it stands I have managed what I thought was the impossible... Now have 2013 maps installed. The link had the install software that was missing from the other multitude I had downloaded via torrent's and once installed it recognised the map files, recognised the CF card from the bike, I was able to backup all the date from that card (already had done before anyway) and built and installed the new maps onto the new CF card, whacked it into the bike and happy days.. Am just waiting for a lull in the rain here and going to head out and see if the new roads around here are on it... All should be OK, fingers crossed...

Thank you - thank you

TH

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ok, went for a quick blat.. Bugger off wind and rain please

So, the map works fine and dandy, but when a route is entered instead of getting directions I get "the audio is not compatible" from the unit... Done a quick search and seem's a few Aussie GL owners have the same problem but the North American guys have audio no dramas.. More reading me thinks... Good progress tho, least I have the map installed..

Cheers

TH

• The Following User Says Thank You to TomaHawk For This Useful Post:

Tiny (30-11-12)

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast