Thread: Recommend a PDA

Thanks

Default Recommend a PDA

Hi All,

I'm done with my existing PDA (iMate JasJar w/ WM6) and I would like to purchase a new one. My problem is that despite the feature sets those manufacturers have to offer, none will tell you that you're going to have to hard reset your device every second week!
    I plan on getting a new PDA with the same (if not more) features/ functionality than what I have already. I use my PDA for just about everything and anything you can think of.

What I'm asking for is your recommendations for a good reliable PDA. Please provide experiences if possible –Good or Bad.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Many members here use and are happy with various models of the Asus range.
    I have had an Asus A636 for a number of years now and its still a great unit .My wife mainly uses it as a GPS as it has an inbuilt GPS chipset.

Thanks

At my work we are currently running 68 Treo 750's and Imate jas jam and I have mixed reviews on both items. We are in the process of updating to the new HTC850 dual and the new imate 8502 and 9502. My supplier speaks highly of the HTC850 but can't give you much feedback except to say that another company I know has quite a few of the 850's and they are a huge improvement on the Jas jam. Mind you alot of the improvement comes from WM 6.

Whereas virtually everyone I know who owns a blackberry raves about them, they are user friendly and very reliable. Stacks of local, state and Fed governments use them too.

Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    My wife mainly uses it as a GPS as it has an inbuilt GPS chipset.
    Thanks Sanity,
    Does your wife use this particular PDA in built up areas such as inner Melbourne/Sydney perhaps?
    The reason why I ask is that I heard from a friend that the number of satellites that one of these units pick up is minimal compared to an external BT GPS unit and as a result will typically give any necessary driving instructions too late. I didn't ask what software was being used but I know that with my BT GPS receiver and TTN on the JasJar only needs a few satellites to work perfectly.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Works fine mate , the sirfstar 3 is one of the better chipsets out there.

I would totally disagree with what you have heard......I have a Holux GP Slim 240 BT and I would back the Asus over it anyday. I can connect to Tomtom / iGo in my loungeroom with the Asus , I cant using the Holux.

Thanks

Hi Sanity: looks like I'll start including PDA's with inbuilt GPS in my list!

Hi myf360f1: Thanks for your input. I checked out the new range from iMate. I didn't even know they were available! The 9502 looks like a good choice for me. I'll be glad to use a PDA that officially supports WM6. I'll continue to keep a close eye on the reviews for a while. The new Bold Blackberry looks interesting too.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with any particular manufacturer?

Thanks

Hi Security,

My work experience with Imate and Palm are pretty poor unfortunately. We have returned numerous imates for warranty repairs and their turn around Time is pretty poor upto 4-5 weeks. Palm is slightly better but it can vary too. Its something to remember if and when you have a warranty issue and want to claim. Thats why the Telstra deal they had was good they offered a 2 year extended warranty with instant swap overs for faulty units. Very rare for Telstra to get one right.

Cheers

Thanks

i saw a bloke with an iphone the other day, i'll wait til the 3G model comes on line. awesome unit. PDA phone camera internet wifi email WOW.

Thanks

I have had the same PDA - Imate pocket pc phone edition for the last 3+ Years or so with a modified rom ( WM2005) and it has still original battery, been dropped numerous times, Has half the paint missing of it and it still works like a charm.. I never have to reset mine and it is still working better than the original Rom (WM2003 - Which needed constant resetting)

Upgraded on of my Clients for them the other day (PH20B) and his response is he now loves it...

I will one day get a newer one... Might go for.

But not to fussed as this one has been fine

Thanks

Best PDA site ever:

you can choose to view PDAs by all different features...it's an awesoem site for helping to find a new PDA.

Thanks

Excellent link, thanks for that.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks for your feedback everyone,
    myf360f1 - I don't think Telstra ever gets anything right. The advanced replacement offer must've been an accident!
    I've lost too many work hours etc... replacing phones/PDA's. I was kind of hoping to find a success story with a manufacturer?
    soap - iPhones are out of the question as it is not classed as a 'PDA' nor does it meet a particular requirement I failed to mention earlier (Must have WM6 or later). But if I was looking for a phone I think the iPhone would be the answer.
    mutanti - Nice! I was thinking I was going to get another imate (9502). I think this is my favourite at the moment!
    the_scotsman - Thanks mate. I've been clicking my brains out on the compare page!

Thanks

HTC Touch Cruise, what a great device. I've purchased one 2 weeks ago & very happy with it.

Cheers

Thanks

I love my HTC Tytn II (kaiser). Does everything I want and more. Built in GPS for the win.

The HTC diamond is a nice device is a keyboard is not important to you.
    By reading this, you have already given me control over a tiny slice of your mind