Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solution 862 Alarm panel issues.

Thanks

Red face Solution 862 Alarm panel issues.

Hi, I have just bought a property and inherited a solution 862 alarm panel with CP5 Eight zone LCD codepad.

I have the display in a Off Disarmed state. I know the master code. However Zone 1,2 and 5 are flashing. Zone 4 is constantly on. Zone 3 is not displayed at all. The Label on the lid states Zone 3 is Siren. Are the flashing zones isolated?

A fault ! indicator is also flashing. I have tried using the instructions to diagnose this fault. It displays 1,2,4 and 8 when I hold down button 5.

As the panel is in a disarmed state. I presume I can remove the panel cover and checkout the wiring. Not sure if this has a tamper microswitch or not?

The codepad doesn't make any beeps as the instructions state.

It seems a lot has happened to the alarm system, but I have no history of what has gone on.

Should I default all the settings, and start afresh?

I have worked with other panels before, but not this brand.

Should I back up its configuration with the alarmlink software? Can this be downloaded on the internet?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Cool

The 862 8 zones - 6 programmable & 2 fixed as 24hr zones. The zones that are flashing are showing the history of what happened last time the panel was armed. So zones 1,2&5 caused the panel activate last time it was armed. These can be cleared by arming & then disarming the panel. Hence last time it was armed nothing happened. If zone 4 is permanently on then it is unsealed , you need to find out what zone 4 is & fix the problem.
    Fault 1 is Backup battery fail - this is tested on arming
    Fault 2 is time /date - obviously all power has been removed at some stage.
    Fault 4 is horn speaker fail.This monitors a small current in the horn wiring & detects an o/c. This can be disabled at location 424 but the cabling thats causing it will still need to be fixed.
    Fault 8 is comms fail so this panel has previously tried to report to somewhere unsuccessfully. If reporting is not required it can be disabled at location 177
    IMO if you are across security programming techniques then default it & start from scratch , at least then you will know that there will not be any hidden nasties in there.

• The Following User Says Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Smile More progress, and information.....

Thankyou very much for the information. This is extremely useful.

I have now cleared fault 2. i.e. Set date and time.

I typed this post from memory the other day, and I don't actually have the fault 4.
    Now only fault 1 and 8 display. I will arm and disarm the alarm shortly. Hopefully this will clear fault 1.

I have tried to disable the telephone dialling option, although it appears the default installer code has been changed, and I wasn't provided this information.
    Can I change the installer code when I only know the master code or can this be done via the alarm link software?

If not, I think my only option is a defaulting of the system.

The lcd keypad does not beep as per the instructions either. Has this or can this be disabled? Holding button 8 down, does not change the tone. It does nothing.

I presume this is something integral to the lcd keypad.

Overview of the zones as well on the keypad lid.

Zones 1 - Lounge
    Zone 2 - Upstairs
    Zone 3 - Siren
    Zone 4 - Panel
    Zone 5 - No description

Any further assistance you can provide well be extremely welcome...

Thanks.

Thanks

I would say the beeper in the codepad is faulty and not working, if you want the system monitored most companies will perform a full commissioning of the system no charge, this will mean a technician will attend site and default the system and re programme it, including the back to base functionality of the system.

If you want the system to be local, the only way to get the installer code is to default the system, A-LINK is not viable as its most probably disabled in the current programming.

I would reccomend that you have a licensed techncian programme for you and reverse the mode 3 should you wish for no monitoring

Thanks

Default solution 862 alarm problem

my solution 862 alarm is also all playing up.

When I turn it on (from the power point), all zone numbers light up, and the alarm pad makes a continuous beep sound.
    The alarm does not react with any thing I try and do with the alarm pad.

Does anyone know how to fix it, apart from rpping it out and replacing it with a new alarm system?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankoo View Post

When I turn it on (from the power point), all zone numbers light up, and the alarm pad makes a continuous beep sound.

Does anyone know how to fix it, apart from rpping it out and replacing it with a new alarm system?
    Frankoo check the on board fuses sounds like one may be blown if the zone lights dont go out after a warm up period.

Thanks

thanks sickpuppy, i let you know what i find.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

It obviously wont be a fuse or there would be nothing alight on the codepad. The symptoms you have indicate a loss of the clock signal to the codepad. I doubt that it will be the codepad (they are super reliable). More likely a cabling problem (chewed by a mouse ?) or worst case the motherboard. Wire the codepad directly to the panel & see what happens.

• The Following User Says Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

frankoo (29-12-10)

Thanks

thanks watchdog, I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    It obviously wont be a fuse or there would be nothing alight on the codepad. The symptoms you have indicate a loss of the clock signal to the codepad. I doubt that it will be the codepad (they are super reliable). More likely a cabling problem (chewed by a mouse ?) or worst case the motherboard. Wire the codepad directly to the panel & see what happens.
    Watchdog why could it not be a blown aux power fuse this will show all powered devices unsealed would it not ?
    Yes there could be more than one problem on the system.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sickpuppy View Post
    Watchdog why could it not be a blown aux power fuse this will show all powered devices unsealed would it not ?
    Yes there could be more than one problem on the system.
    yes it would but not cause the onboard piezo to sound contiuously & would not stop the codepad from working . A blown fuse would easily be determined by the PIRs not lighting up & a fault indication on the codepad

Thanks

Has the alarm been depowered for a while before you plugged it in?
    Well the backup battery might need replacing/connecting.
    Depending on programming, by default the alarm will power up in an armed state(on/away)
    Do you have the right alarm code?

Thanks

Hi Secure,
    the alarm has been depowered for a while now, because it won't stop making the annoying sound from the key pad. The key pad does not react on my master code (yes I have the correct code).
    Will a faulty battery cause my issue?

Thanks

I have checked my alarm main panel to ensure all wires look ok, the three fuses are ok (not blown).

I had the alarm turned-off from the PowerPoint for a few days, and when I turned it back on the key pad WAS NOT continually buzzing and all the zone numbers were NOT lit-up (as i previously posted here on 29 Dec). the keypad is now showing
    - continuous solid zone 6 (EPROM fail)
    - continuous flashing zone 7 (fuse fail)
    - continuous flashing zone 8 (communication fail)

I understand flashing 8 means it has been trying to communicate via telephone, how do I get rid of these three failures?
    is EPROM failure a big issue? Is it time I threw this alarm away?

Also I notice a bright glowing light between the 3A Battery Fuse and 1A Accessory Fuse. Is this normal?

please help if you can.
    Last edited by frankoo; 03-01-11 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks

EPROM is a big problem. I'd say replace it from experience (when we have the same issue as you, we get a new board, usually every 5 years)... Awesome system though, but the board's pretty screwed from what you've said...

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

I have checked my alarm main panel to ensure all wires look ok, the three fuses are ok (not blown).

I had the alarm turned-off from the PowerPoint for a few days, and when I turned it back on the key pad WAS NOT continually buzzing and all the zone numbers were NOT lit-up (as i previously posted here on 29 Dec). the keypad is now showing
    - continuous solid zone 6 (EPROM fail)
    - continuous flashing zone 7 (fuse fail)
    - continuous flashing zone 8 (communication fail)

I understand flashing 8 means it has been trying to communicate via telephone, how do I get rid of these three failures?
    is EPROM failure a big issue? Is it time I threw this alarm away?

Also I notice a bright glowing light between the 3A Battery Fuse and 1A Accessory Fuse. Is this normal?

please help if you can.
    You are NOT in fault analysis mode & the codepad is simply showing the zone status. When doing a fault analysis the numbers WILL NOT flash but be on solid.
    @minitechie - I have only ever experienced an eprom fault twice in 15 years & both times it was rectified by doing a power reset.

The bright light is indicating the charge current to the battery. It should be a faint pulsing. Your battery is stuffed . Replace it.
    Last edited by watchdog; 03-01-11 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks

Hang on. If the battery were completely discharged (likely if the powerpoint had been off for a few days) the light would be bright as it charged, no?

Thanks

would a faulty/stuffed battery, cause zone 6 to be continuously solid, and zone 7 & 8 to be continuously flashing?
    I did notice, when I left the alarm on for a period of time, the light (between the 3A Battery Fuse and 1A Accessory Fuse) did dim.
    Also I forgot to mention the alarm keypad makes a single beep approx every 1 min.

so is my battery still stuffed or do I have another problem?

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

from frankoo's first post at #5 when he says he has problems when he turns it on at the power point to post #13 where he says that it has been off for a while now I'm guessing that this panel has had the battery connected but no mains for some time. SLAs do not like being heavily discharged , & certainly not for any length of time & generally will not recover. If frankoo is concerned about the battery just leave everything on & check the light in a days time or a weeks time OR just arm the panel & let it do a battery test. People not experienced in fault finding proceedures often end up confusing themselves by using disjointed techniques & getting conflicting results.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Frankoo - do you have the user manual. It will explain the fault analysis proceedure. Read it BETTER. The flashing zone numbers are a HISTORY of what took place last time it was armed. Clear the history by arming then disarming. The single beep every min is telling you there is a fault. The fault indicator on the codepad should be showing as well. You can shut the fault beep up by hitting the # (away) button. Now hold the "5" button down until you hear a beep. The numbers now showing are the faults. Then get back to us with the correct faults

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast