Thread: HWS problem?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default HWS problem?

August 2010 I bought and installed a Redrock brand LPG instant HWS and untill now it has worked brilliantly but the other day it didnt want to heat above 35/38C.
    I changed the batteries and that put the temp back up but a few days later, down it went again and I thought the bottle was running out as we had been using it for awhile.
    I changed the bottle today, new batteries again but it still doesnt seem to be able to bring up the water temp over 35/38C.
    Cold water flow affects the water temp but even with the tap almost off, the temp doesnt move much.
    Now I am NOT a Gas Fitter and I am certainly NOT going to fiddle with any settings as LPG mishandled can be rather volitile.
    Firstly finding a plumber out here is a battle then of course if they would come, would they be able to fix this particular unit?
    I am not sure if I have any warranty but first I have to find the dockets and hope whoever sold it still exists.
    This is a Redrock deLuxe 12 LMP LPG Instant or Tankless HWS.
    All burners are lit, its on Winter, Gas at Max, water at Min but the Gas flame seems 'Muted' as though its not at full burn.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

I had a similar problem with my barbie, the gas flame was low and weak like the bottle was empty, turned out being the gas regulator that connected to the bottle.

In my case the spring inside rusted, a little lubing/cleaning got it going again.

Dont know about your system though, however if it has a gas regulator on the line in, there is a chance it may be causing you issues.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (15-11-11)

Thanks

they have a diaphragm in them on the cold water inlet , when that fails it effects the supply and as such effects the output.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Premium Member

Thanks

Godzilla, talk about dense as I have just changed the regulator on the gas bottle feeding the kitchen stove as it was playing merry hell when the air temp dropped overnight during a recent cold spell.
    I never gave this one a thought as its inside and relatively new BUT I think its only a real el cheapo type.

Diavolo, so far the water flow appears unimpedded but its another thing worth checking out.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

regulator

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Another thing to watch out for is wasps building their mud nests inside your burners (or spiders)
    Just had that very thing happen to my spa heater.
    It should be a dead give away though as the affected burner will burn yellow rather than blue.

Thanks

maybe a blocked jet? they get a bit of green growth in them , from the tank contents.
    BBQ places may have a very fine wire tool used for cleaning jets.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tradesman For This Useful Post:

Rick (16-11-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I never gave this one a thought as its inside and relatively new BUT I think its only a real el cheapo type.
    After i had problems with that barbie i decided to buy 2 new cheap barbeques to keep up the meat supply at my sons 21st birthday.

2 identical barbies, side by side running new full gas bottles, one worked fine, the other had a pulsing high then low flame, i could hear a clicking sound coming from its new regulator, gave it a whack with a spanner and it ran normally again without pulsing the flame.

Premium Member

Thanks

I changed the regulator over and so far that appears to have done the trick as it was heating normally when we had a shower last night.
    As I said this is one of those el cheapo looking regulators with an attatched hose and Bullnose that the rubber seal fell off a few months ago.
    Fortunately I had a BBQ with hose and regulator sitting in the shed so I used that.
    I only bought the HWS August last year and its been inside the whole time unlike the other regulator that had been out in all weathers for some 20 years before it finaly failed.
    Thanks for the help.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (16-11-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

Damned HWS is doing the same thing again today, changed to another regulator and batteries but it wont heat above 33/35C and the LPG bottle is at least half full.
    I am trying to seach for the sellers site but so far no success, I cant even find a retailer or these HWS for sale so far.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Not sure if this is any help Gordon , but this ebay seller seems to only sell them and accessories. Maybe contact him and see if he can assist ?

There seems to be bugger all about them on the internet ?????????

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (07-12-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

There was a run of tankless HWS on ebay a few weeks back selling for around the $150 mark, but now I only see overseas sellers have them. Maybe keep an eye out on evilbay again.

Premium Member

Thanks

I am sure I saw a retailer online or Ebay only a few weeks ago but then 'they' seem to have disapeared.
    The name used by the retailer I bought this unit off doesnt elicit any responces on either Ebay or Google.
    And even that one you posted sanity is as vague as a Politicians promise with no details.
    Real Will o' the Wisps they seem.
    Thanks for the replies,