Thread: Carrier Split system start-up problems

Thanks

Default Carrier Split system start-up problems

Good morning
    I live part of the year in Oz and some of the year in the Philippines. Now getting an intelligent answer from anyone in the Philippines is almost impossible so I look to here for help.

In the Philippines I have a Carrier 38/42 LUC009308 split system aircon. Following a power outage (regular occurrence) the unit fails to respond to the remote. I have to switch it on manually, using a pen to get to the restart button and the Auto, Temperature(24) and operation leds come on, the unit works but will not repond to the remote. I switch it off by throwing the circuit breaker. Changing batteries, doing a reset and ensuring the remote is not locked have no effect. Last time it did this I called the service in Cebu only to have it 'self correct' itself 10 minutes before the technician arrived and who could offer no reason or advice. It seems like it comes good after about three days.

Next time this happened the technician(?) turned up with a new LED display and naturally I wasn't home, the problem had 'self rectified itself' so he said to the housekeeper "There was nothing wrong with it" and didn't replace the sensor.

I paid extra for what I thought was a Brand name air-con and a company who would provide quality service but they sub out the maintenance and it looks like I'm stuck with dealing with semi-trained monkeys.

Now it has happened again. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Neville
    Cebu and Toowoomba
    Last edited by nifty; 17-11-11 at 06:36 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am no tech and have no knowledge of A/C's but I was wondering what happens to your system when you deliberately turn it off, does it react the same and you have to go through that routine to turn it back on?
    My thoughts are your system is too 'Modern' for the power supply there and when you loose power, there could be surges and fluctuations as its going off and as they restore power which upsets the start up routine.
    Maybe a surge board or mains filters or even an UPS to allow the system to shut down correctly and then restart when the Mains are properly restored.
    Remember Computers years ago were often badly affected if the power dropped suddenly instead of being taken through the correct shutdown procedure.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I am no tech and have no knowledge of A/C's but I was wondering what happens to your system when you deliberately turn it off, does it react the same and you have to go through that routine to turn it back on?
    My thoughts are your system is too 'Modern' for the power supply there and when you loose power, there could be surges and fluctuations as its going off and as they restore power which upsets the start up routine.
    Maybe a surge board or mains filters or even an UPS to allow the system to shut down correctly and then restart when the Mains are properly restored.
    Remember Computers years ago were often badly affected if the power dropped suddenly instead of being taken through the correct shutdown procedure.
    Thanks Gordon,
    The description of the power supply is exactly as you suggest. I use a voltage regulator for my PC and it sits under the desk. It clicks non-stop as it is trying to maintain a smooth power supply. Have same setup for TV, Homestudio and refrigerator. I'm in Oz at the moment and maybe I'll go direct to Carrier here and see if I can get the parts and take them back to the Philippines. I know the module is a plug in one but whether the 60Hz power setup parts won't be available here.

(The power generating equipment is all the junk from the US when they woke up to themselves and went 50Hertz to match the rest of the word. What can we do with all this useless junk....I know...the stupid turkeys in the Philippines will pay good money for this!!!)

Nifty

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have never been to that area and I was basing my thoughts on having spoken On Line to a few who live there and its what they said about the erratic power system prompted me to reply to your post.
    I remember here not that many years ago when the power went off suddenly, you were well advised to turn off whatever appliances you had to avoid damage when the supply was reconnected.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!