Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Vast PVRs now available

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Here's some more screenshots of the PVR firmware in action:

Uploaded with
    The only worse menu system is the WDTV Live. Seriously they should employ a graphic artist to design the menus, not an uber geek thats never seen daylight :-)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

It looks no better or worse than the PVR facility on a Strong Terrestial STB, so long as it works and the stations keep the programs within the times does me.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned

Thanks

$43 For a remote when you can buy replacement remotes for an openbox S9 for $13 delivered.
    I don't have vast but I would be filthy if I had to pay $43 on top of the premium price of the receiver.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marty 17 View Post
    $43 For a remote when you can buy replacement remotes for an openbox S9 for $13 delivered.
    I don't have vast but I would be filthy if I had to pay $43 on top of the premium price of the receiver.
    I've been watching this thread with interest ever since I got the UEC box. We were able to get them activated in Alice Springs before the DTV was turned on. I'm a lover of everything radio, being a HAM I'd rather get the signal via satellite than the antenna up on the hill about 800M from my house.

In saying that when they turned on the DTV the tuner card in the media center finally became usefull, I bought a HD Homerun box so we have 3 tuners and more media centric information than I can poke a stick at.

I'd love to do the same via Satellite as it means you can get it anywhere in OZ (VK). Alas we are early adopters of the Sat TV system (VAST ANYWAY), I used to have the Aurora when I was playing with PAYTV goldies 10+ years ago and this system while it provides additional clarity still offers an extremely basic service.

The UEC box IMHO is junk, its such a pity its the face of something that is quite brilliant (Sat TV). I have a strong appreciation of the end to end process of getting us a picture via Satellite however my family wont use it as it simply has no features. On goes the Windows Media Center every night, the interface is richer with information and more intuative....Believe me I am no windows fanboy, nor an apple uber geek however this stuff is built to work and provide an interface that the majority of folks use and enjoy.

I'll leave the VAST on here purely out of my own self interest but I wont buy the remote. Maybe in years to come when Carol and I become grey nomads will we get something thats more in the 21st century as far as useabilty goes. Till then I'll switch it on once per month and see if there is a new software update :-)

Sandman

• The Following User Says Thank You to petez69 For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (20-11-11)

Thanks

It must be one that can be plugged into mains power.
    You could always use a powered hub, they do the job of powering hard drives quite well.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jaydenillman For This Useful Post:

Tiny (20-11-11)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaydenillman View Post
    You could always use a powered hub, they do the job of powering hard drives quite well.
    Good point. I'll get hold of one and test it out.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

Tiny (20-11-11)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petez69 View Post

The UEC box IMHO is junk, its such a pity its the face of something that is quite brilliant (Sat TV). I have a strong appreciation of the end to end process of getting us a picture via Satellite however my family wont use it as it simply has no features.

Sandman
    Hey petez69,
    you've been quiet for a while, good to here from you again, totally agree that the UEC box needs to be beter for the position it holds.
    The platform deserves more, specially for the price paid subsidised or not, we all pay.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Will it be possible to fast step through the adds with this new remote PVR thing.
    Currently have a Beyondwiz dp-2?? at home on terrestrial tv, and the add skip setting is great.
    Last edited by banjo; 20-11-11 at 07:57 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    Will it be possible to fast step through the adds with this new remote PVR thing.
    Nope. The DSD4121 is Freeview 2 compliant, which means no ad-skipping.

Thanks

Grrr. Why did Govco have to make it so hard for everyone by insisting on having to use these boxes.

Too bad if you've got other boxes that are far superior (which I'm sure quite a few on here have). It's just as bad as the stupid paytv companies, the only difference is, you own the crappy UEC box that you need to buy to get VAST service.

The sooner there's a way around this 'only 1 choice of box' thing the better.

Apologies if this was in the wrong section. I needed to vent.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrtw For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (21-11-11),sat 49 (22-11-11),Smacca (21-11-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

I rang a store today in the Central West of NSW to see if they were still a VAST retailer re purchasing a VASTSTB and when I asked about the PVR 'model' I was advised they had received an Email from UEC that the PVR version was 'Available from Today' (assumingly from UEC) but they didnt have a counter price on the email so they made a 'Guestimate of $359.
    They sell the current STB for $279, a 'Government Fixed Price' they said.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I rang a store today in the Central West of NSW to see if they were still a VAST retailer re purchasing a VASTSTB and when I asked about the PVR 'model' I was advised they had received an Email from UEC that the PVR version was 'Available from Today' (assumingly from UEC) but they didnt have a counter price on the email so they made a 'Guestimate of $359.
    They sell the current STB for $279, a 'Government Fixed Price' they said.
    Read my first post.

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petez69 View Post
    Till then I'll switch it on once per month and see if there is a new software update :-) Sandman
    It may be a good idea to switch it on regularly. Recently we have had reports from three differenct councils in Queensland that VAST boxes sent to residents who didn't get around to setting them up for a few months would not work at all. When they were switched on there was an error code saying the unit would not connect.

Apparently if you don't set these up within six months of the card being activated the box will not work at all. When the councils contacted Optus they were told neither the box or the VAST card could not be reactivated and the client would have to buy new ones.

I know this happens if you buy a wireless internet dongle and don't put credit on it for a few months. You end up having to buy a new wireless modem/dongle but if this is happening to VAST boxes it is an outrage.

Has anyone else had this happen?
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    Read my first post.
    Thats the price they quoted me saying that they only had a cost price from UEC, not the RRP available....................
    This asks the question of is the PVR version price regulated as the 'standard' one is or not?

Banned
    Thanks

Thats the price they quoted me saying that they only had a cost price from UEC, not the RRP available....................
    This asks the question of is the PVR version price regulated as the 'standard' one is or not?
    Log on to accessantennas.com.au and look it up for your answer.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

PVR probably comes under Luxury accessory, so maybe not regulated.

Gordon,why not ring the shop & tell them Access Antennas is selling for $322 & see if they will match it, sometimes you've got to haggle.

Don't forget to factor in that you also need an external powered hard drive. Possibly around the $200 mark for 1TB externally powered.

Campersat/Videosat have UEC 4121PVR plus 1TB Hard drive as a package for $549.
    I'm not saying that's a good price as hard drives are in a very wide price range.
    Actually the price of the UEC sucks when you consider that a Strong twin HD satellite tuner PVR costs only $359 excluding hard drive. The Strong of course is not a VAST capable unit, although it could be if the Gov't relaxed the card sharing rules on VAST.
    We really are prisoners to the Gov't card sharing & price fixing regs.
    Last edited by Tiny; 22-11-11 at 06:27 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

Tiny,
    I am not basicaly interested in the PVR model but I asked about it while I had the opportunity.
    I have seen 1TB self powered HDD for $70 and a 2TB for under a $150 and untill someone tries it out, there may be the option of using a powered Hub for the HDD which means USB Pen drives might work too.

Thanks

It must be an externally powered hard drive. Any drive that draws power from the USB will not work (like a thumb drive, memory stick or larger pocket drives). It must be one that can be plugged into mains power. A good rule of thumb is to avoid using anything that says 2.5" or USB 3.0 as these are usually USB-powered.
    So, this comment on the SatPlus site is wrong?

The DSD4121PVR
    decoder will now be able to record to a hard drive – single tuner only
    – 1 channel recording (must be a powered drive) or USB flash drive.
    Russell.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8DashP View Post
    So, this comment on the SatPlus site is wrong?

Russell.
    Yes.

I really shouldn't quote this, but the question was raised in the field trial. Here's what the head UEC technician reckons:

1. The usb port on the back of the DSD4121 will not provide enough current for
    the 2.5" drives we have tested to spin up. The startup current is typically
    over 500mA. Most PC's have biefier power supplies and can handle this spike for
    long enough for the drive to spin up. The 4121 will not provide this current
    long enough for the drive to spin up. The 4121 is already past it's design
    phase and already deployed so changing the hardware is not an option. There is
    no intention to specifically limit the box to 3.5" drives, and if a low power
    2.5" drive works the box will accept it. Bus powered drives will however not be
    officially supported. You will notice that most 2.5" drives come with two usb
    ports for this very reason. The 4121 also does not have 2 USB ports so that
    option is not open to us either.

2. With regard to flash drives we have taken the stance that these do not
    provide the reliability in terms of sustained writes to allow them to be used
    as a PVR. While it will appear to work just fine, remember that each block in a
    flash stick can onyl be written to a finite number of times before it is marked
    as bad and no longer usable. The primary function of the PVR functionality will
    be to pause and rewind live TV. In order to do this it is required that the
    disk is always being written to. In a flash device this could mean that people
    who do not power their boxes after viewing, will have video being streamed to
    their flash disk all day and night which will ultimatly end up in the disk
    being used up. Obviously, to most users who dont understand the technological
    limitations, this will be percieved as the box breaking the memory stick.
    Because of this we have decided that supporting flash based drives is not
    feasible for PVR functionality. You will notice by looking on the market that
    even the high end PVR products do not use SSD hard drives yet even though they
    are low power, low heat devices. This, and the cost, is the reason for that.
    Last edited by Smacca; 23-11-11 at 11:11 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (23-11-11),Tiny (24-11-11)

Thanks

Yes.

I really shouldn't quote this, but the question was raised in the field trial. Here's what the head UEC technician reckons:
    And that all seems fair enough, Point 2 in particular. Besides, a USB stick is never going to be large enough really if you want to use the PVR seriously. I only had an old 160GB Freeagent drive anyway.

Anyway, you know what they say, fools rush in...... I've just ordered one of these

LONG LIVE THE EARLY ADOPTERS!!

*EDIT*

Oh, and for those looking for an even better deal, that I missed out on as I couldn't find it before I made my eBay purchase, try this . Note I am not giving any endorsement on this, it's simply the cheapest place I found. Caveat Emptor!
    Last edited by 8DashP; 23-11-11 at 09:33 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8DashP For This Useful Post:

Smacca (23-11-11),Tiny (24-11-11)

• Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast