Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: New Vast PVRs now available

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Live, not everyone who has VAST has a computer or even access to one so that wont be required.
    From previous posts whatever the HDD records, that cannot be played back on anything else but the DSD4121 even though it may use the FAT32 Format common to all devises.
    I dont have one but I would guess that when you attach the HDD to the DSD4141 it will do a 'Self Format' and then be ready for you to use.

Yes that right, the UEC box has its own utility in the menu to format the HD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The power supply in the VAST decoder is so poorly designed, it can't even cope with a USB pen drive.

They heat up, indicating a voltage drop and an increase in current draw, which is not good for either the decoder, or the USB device.

You can use an externally-powered USB hub with no problems.

The same with an externally-powered USB HDD.

UEC claim Western Digital HDD's are not compatible, but I've not had anp problems using them.

See the UEC 'supported' HDD list on their website.

Satplus is selling these "Genuine SanDisk 32GB flash drive. We've tested this particular model with the DSD4121 VAST decoder. Will store up to 12hrs of HD or 30 hrs of SD recording on this drive. Suitable for use with any satellite decoder with USB slot. High speed USB 2.0."
    Any comments?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rodnic View Post
    Satplus is selling these "Genuine SanDisk 32GB flash drive. We've tested this particular model with the DSD4121 VAST decoder. Will store up to 12hrs of HD or 30 hrs of SD recording on this drive. Suitable for use with any satellite decoder with USB slot. High speed USB 2.0."
    Any comments?
    Unless UEC have changed their opinion of their hardware, Satplus are out on a limb.
    This is a quote from UEC via Smacca on Post #39 of Page 2 of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    I really shouldn't quote this, but the question was raised in the field trial. Here's what the head UEC technician reckons:

1. The usb port on the back of the DSD4121 will not provide enough current for
    the 2.5" drives we have tested to spin up. The startup current is typically
    over 500mA. Most PC's have biefier power supplies and can handle this spike for
    long enough for the drive to spin up. The 4121 will not provide this current
    long enough for the drive to spin up. The 4121 is already past it's design
    phase and already deployed so changing the hardware is not an option. There is
    no intention to specifically limit the box to 3.5" drives, and if a low power
    2.5" drive works the box will accept it. Bus powered drives will however not be
    officially supported. You will notice that most 2.5" drives come with two usb
    ports for this very reason. The 4121 also does not have 2 USB ports so that
    option is not open to us either.

2. With regard to flash drives we have taken the stance that these do not
    provide the reliability in terms of sustained writes to allow them to be used
    as a PVR. While it will appear to work just fine, remember that each block in a
    flash stick can onyl be written to a finite number of times before it is marked
    as bad and no longer usable. The primary function of the PVR functionality will
    be to pause and rewind live TV. In order to do this it is required that the
    disk is always being written to. In a flash device this could mean that people
    who do not power their boxes after viewing, will have video being streamed to
    their flash disk all day and night which will ultimatly end up in the disk
    being used up. Obviously, to most users who dont understand the technological
    limitations, this will be percieved as the box breaking the memory stick.
    Because of this we have decided that supporting flash based drives is not
    feasible for PVR functionality. You will notice by looking on the market that
    even the high end PVR products do not use SSD hard drives yet even though they
    are low power, low heat devices. This, and the cost, is the reason for that.
    Last edited by Tiny; 15-10-12 at 06:57 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Croady (21-10-12),Rodnic (18-10-12)

Thanks

Default using the seagate HDD to record to,and connect to the PC to join the segments !

I have had the PVR setup now for a few months,recording to a 1tb seagate HDD, all going well , and no problems. I did find a thread on the forums that gave you the opportunity to transfer the contents of the HDD onto a PC WinXP,
    I have downloaded the joiner and a player called PotPlayer, and have tried to connect the HDD to my PC, all I can see that is going on is that the HDD is not being shown as a new peice of hardware, BUT in the control panel / computer
    managment the HDD is listed as OK but is unknown_____I know that the format for the DSD4121 STB is not fat or NTFS, (its like linux) what am I missing,as others have been able to transfer from the STB/HDD to the PC __stumped

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

Fully read the above thread, you will need linux reader for windows to access the drive.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

live1936 (29-01-13)

Thanks

thanks for the answer , am downloading now, I did look for this thread but couldn't find it anywhere !

• Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678