Thread: G'Day All

Thanks

Default G'Day All

I have been a guest on this forum for a while now, looking every now and again at the many interesting subjects.

I like tinkering around with computers and have now caught the satellite bug, I didn't realise there was actually free channels and radio to be had. or for that matter that there was so many satellites available.

It can be very confusing to a newbie like me, Do you only need to get a dish, lnb and mount or is there additional fittings required to get them connected together.

It all sounds like a lot of fun.

Michael

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Welcome to Austech. Enjoy your stay here...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    I have been a guest on this forum for a while now, looking every now and again at the many interesting subjects.

I like tinkering around with computers and have now caught the satellite bug, I didn't realise there was actually free channels and radio to be had. or for that matter that there was so many satellites available.

It can be very confusing to a newbie like me, Do you only need to get a dish, lnb and mount or is there additional fittings required to get them connected together.

It all sounds like a lot of fun.

Michael

Hi cherokee,
    Welcome to the forum.

The basic equipment you require is a dish and an lnb to go with it and a receiver preferably one that can blindscan.
    You have not mentioned if you want to receive free to air channels on C band or KU band, with KU band i would recommend you dont get a dish smaller than 90cm and for C band around 2.4m.
    Have a look at and you can see what you might be able to receive FTA.
    Theres lot of stuff you can learn by searching the forum.
    If i were you i would also invest in a ( moteck KU Band ) or an actuator for C band that way you have more sats to play with.

Thanks

Hi Satboy.

I find it difficult to work out what band the programms are on. eg. for the optus D2 satellite the lyngSat page has "C" on the left hand side and "Ku" on the right hand side, just above the first advertisments.

I think I will have to go Ku as the "C" dishes all seem to over 2m in diameter, there is no way my missus is lettin me have something on the roof that is near the same size as the clothesline. LOL

I also have a large stand of tree's to the west of me, I don't know how this will affect signal reception.

I have been looking at the advertisers pages and various links and like the sound of the following:

SRT4890 PVR

SRT L722 LNB

85cm Dish (is it a problem if it is not quite 90Cm)

If I decide to get fox one day can I still use the SRT4890, my only experience with paytv was about 6 years ago and it was just a lot of repeats of the same shows. But I see there are radio stations available as well.

thanks

Michael

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    Hi Satboy.

I find it difficult to work out what band the programms are on. eg. for the optus D2 satellite the lyngSat page has "C" on the left hand side and "Ku" on the right hand side, just above the first advertisments.

I think I will have to go Ku as the "C" dishes all seem to over 2m in diameter, there is no way my missus is lettin me have something on the roof that is near the same size as the clothesline. LOL

I also have a large stand of tree's to the west of me, I don't know how this will affect signal reception.

I have been looking at the advertisers pages and various links and like the sound of the following:

SRT4890 PVR

SRT L722 LNB

85cm Dish (is it a problem if it is not quite 90Cm)

If I decide to get fox one day can I still use the SRT4890, my only experience with paytv was about 6 years ago and it was just a lot of repeats of the same shows. But I see there are radio stations available as well.

thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

I would probably get the strong 4658 receiver, its a good receiver and it has blindscan and also a secret menu for adding keys to it for certain things, as for the lnb i have always used the invacom universal which i find to be pretty good. 85cm dish will be ok but i certainly wouldnt go any smaller as you really need that as bare minimum if you want to catch live feeds. If you want to get pay tv later on you can get selectv and you can use this receiver without a problem, as for foxtel i think you need to use the box they provide as there cards are married to there boxes except if you have a dreambox but i wont go into that.
    On KU you should be able to pick up the following sats NSS6, ASIASAT 4, MEASAT2, OPTUS D2, OPTUS C1, OPTUS D1, INTELSAT 8, INTELSAT 2, GE23, INTELSAT 701 these are all depending on your location.
    Do some searching in the forum and things should hopefully become a lot more clearer to you.

Thanks

Wink I can relate to that!

The bit about the missus & the 2m dish that is - no way, not even if it means missing out on the odd Saints game (AFL, that is). I'm not so sure about that, as I have found a legal workaround to missing the Foxtel games, at a relatively small, one-off cost....anyhow, I digress - I'm sure you're not the least bit interested in AFL, so just wanted to give you some general advice, which has no doubt, all been said before on this site, (& probably lots to the contrary as well). I'm in Melbourne, so some few 100's of K's further from the Satellites than you, & an 85cm offset dish gives me heaps of signal from the Satellites transmitting in the Ku band. I was originally just lined up on C1, but have just installed a rotator to look at what else is out there, & when you talk about the repeats on Pay TV, you wouldn't believe the number of repeats on free-to-air. I'm not talking programs here, I'm talking whole services, just time-shifted eg ABC1, ABC2, ABCHD, ditto for SBS. Anyhow, I'm not trying to put you off, as I can't say I've fully explored the options. Besides, you could do a lot worse than good ol' aunty & SBS. I will say you're on the right track with the gear you've suggested. I bought a Strong kit several years ago, & it's stood up to its name - it's proven to be bulletproof, despite the odd dodgy software download (I'm back on the original, as was the only way to get my Aurora card working). Good Luck with it all, especially the "missus" factor.