Thread: Caravan park, HAS & SSS etc.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Caravan park, HAS & SSS etc.

My son has just moved to a Caravan Park barely covered by a Self Help analog translator that according to all reports WONT be upgraded to Digital next June unless the local Council changes its mind and according to MySwitch etc the park will be covered by VAST instead.
    As luck would have it the annex by the van has a Dish already attatched but with only a single outlet LNB so I was going to install my VAST stb for him.
    That In it self not a problem but he has friends in the next van and I was thinking that I might lend them a Humax with an Aurora card in it for the short term unless they buy a VAST which I dont recommend just yet.
    According to MySwitch they all may be elligable to apply for one of the assistance schemes after January 5 but in the meantime, I thought this would suffice.
    I have 2 choices re the 2 STB's on a single LNB, either replace it with a Dual which I have spare or just put in a splitter.
    Possibly I may have to alter the skew of the LNB for Vast but time will tell.
    Now I did run my VAST stb via the Pass through on the Humax because both Aurora and VAST are Vertical (so far) and there was no problems so while this isnt feasible this time because of the STB's placement, the splitter should work, I can always test it here first to make sure.
    The Van with the dish is only rented so I am not altering/installing anything I cant retrieve should my son move on.
    As VIC is done and Qld is just about done changing over, any info on those in similar areas where the 'Self Help' sites have been turned off as to how they went with any of the assistance schemes would be of interest please.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 21-11-11 at 03:40 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    any info on those in similar areas where the 'Self Help' sites have been turned off as to how they went with any of the assistance schemes would be of interest please.
    Gordon,

The Household Assistance Scheme is for:

those who receive the full rate of one of the following payments:
    •Age Pension
    •Disability Support Pension
    •Carer Payment
    •Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Service Pension
    •DVA Income Support Supplement

Renters are eligable for the Vast Satellite Subsidy Scheme if they are renting at a permanent dwelling. I know that the demountable buildings at caravan parks qualify but I am not sure about caravans.

That is going to be one pretty caravan park with sat dishes on every building and caravan.
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

After I posted this I rang the 1800 number and I was told that so long as the Caravan has a Site number, it qualifies as a residence and depending on the other factors, they may qualify for assistance under both the SSS and HAS.
    I am rather surprised that this hasnt occured in the other areas that have or are switching over.
    Surely this cant be the first in this situation can it?
    In NSW, you will notice many units still have their wheels attached and it is my understanding that this gets around a Govt regulation regarding structures.
    I learnt this to my annoyance when I tried to put piers under a 25 foot Van due to the slope of my land and the local Council told me if I wanted to do that I had to submit a DA.
    I could 'level' the ground any way I wanted just so long as the Caravan sat on its wheels.
    If it has wheels, it isnt considered Permanent and therefore doesnt need footings and everything else.
    We may have wait untill after January 5 when the VAST applications will accepted for this location.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 22-11-11 at 02:03 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!