Thread: IP Cams At Night

Thanks

Default IP Cams At Night

I have recently installed 15 IP cameras

They are 2MP Domes with IR illumination (supposed to work to 30m - expected probably half that).

They have a perfect picture during the day, but are mostly crap at night. There are a few inside that work fine (apart from a bit of a hotspot in the middle).

The ones outside are very ordinary. Mostly covering car parks etc. I did see one image with a bright spot in the middle, but would only pick up a person from about 7-8 metres away - very dull at the edges and then whited out at the centre of the IR.

From the screenshot you can see that Cam 14 has the cover around the lense removed to show the IR reflecting back into the lense as that was all tech support could put it down to. Cam 15 is passable, but it may only be because the car is parked directly below it?

Will additional IR flood lights make a decent difference? All cameras had to be run in conduit/duct as no roof space, so would require a fair bit more labour to run in extra cable etc.

Any thoughts?

Uploaded with

Thanks
    Last edited by admin; 27-11-11 at 07:48 PM. Reason: changed to a more reasonable size

Look Here ->

Thanks

On board IR illumination is questionable at best. Not that I need to tell you that given the results you've seen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cameras you've used are a no name brand yeah?

Anyway, yes separate name brand IR illuminators will go a long way to resolving your issues there. You may find that once you've installed them, you'll get better results from disconnecting the on board IR in the cameras.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

As drift has pointed out. You're best off installing IR flood lights and removing the onboard LED's.

Most IP based cameras (especially MP) use CMOS image sensors which by nature are excessively sensitive to infrared light and also less sensitive in low-light situations. However, as you can see, manufacturers are building these cameras with this technology and contradicting themselves when slapping on built-in IR illumination.

Where the CMOS truly shines is in indoor environments where lighting levels are kept constant.

Thanks

There is normally a guard between the IR leds and the lens that seals against the glass has that been left off?
    Cam2 looks like it could be a night focus issue as well.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Privatteer View Post
    There is normally a guard between the IR leds and the lens that seals against the glass has that been left off?
    Cam 14 is a perfect example, you can see the IR leds in the picture. On just about all of them there is a portion of the picture that is quite clear. As stated No 2 is focus & the rest are probably the IR seal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Privatteer View Post
    The seal was deliberately left off in Cam 14 to show the distributor that the other ones had them installed. The others are all as hard against the dome as possible, but it seems like it is leaking past anyway.

I will be back there this week to try and resolve this issue. I will have a couple of IR illuminators that I will install and hopefully that will make a difference.

Thanks all

Thanks

Why flood the area with invisible Infrared light?

Regular lighting has other security/safety benefits worth considering.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

TheAlarmGuy (28-11-11)

Thanks

If we have to use illuminators they will have to be IR as it is a motel and the client does not want visible lighting after a certain time at night.

I have left the domes off a couple of cameras that are protected from weather to confirm that it is IR lighting reflecting off the domes.

I will let you know how I go

Thanks

I had a similar experience with a Pacom EVO1 external dome at a clients place.
    In short I have written off IR.
    Sony SNC-240s are excellent in low light. but they are 3mp and not cheap.
    but yeah!

Thanks

IR is great if you have the right cameras. The entire EVO series is cheap shit in my opinion.

Used the camera below a number of times at low light entrances. The only problem was if the camera was too close to object it the IR light would create a hot spot. Found putting some insulation tape over the LEDS in that case solved the issue.

While I prefer separate illuminators its not always practical or cost effective.