Thread: Signs

Thanks

Default Signs

Hi all the boat shed I have been involved with has had the security system fitted (I was previously asking about PIR detectors) and a camera system recording to a server. The installer who we deal with for our radios and are Axis camera agents installed the system and it is working well. There are two outside looking over the ramp and parking area and one inside the boat shed. He has informed me that we have to put signs up to say the building is under video survey lance.
    Does it have to be for the outside as it is obvious or for the internal camera and what are the specifications for the signage? There is only one personnel entry door and two roller doors that can only be opened fro the inside.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

In NSW, you're required to display signs stating the use of CCTV surveillance equipment. Unfortunately there is no universally accepted sign available, however, there are a number of recommendations that need to be considered.

1. Place signs at each main access point. (Entry points where the general public can access your premises easily) By doing this you are informing the public that once on your premises they will be subject to electronic video surveillance, inside or out.

2. Make sure the sign is clearly visible. Place the sign at normal eye range in areas with good lighting.

3. The sign you choose is easily understood by members of the public, including people who are from non-English speaking backgrounds.

Believe it or not there is an actual Australian Standard for safety symbols and signs;

Development, testing and implementation of information and safety symbols and symbolic signs. AS2342–1992.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    1. Place signs at each main access point. (Entry points where the general public can access your premises easily) By doing this you are informing the public that once on your premises they will be subject to electronic video surveillance, inside or out.
    Now that brings up an interesting point who are the "general public" as access to this boat shed is restricted to members and very few at that somewhere around 20 and they all have a security token. I can't say I have seen any signs up in Big W, Woolworths, Bunnings and a local fuel depot and there would be dozens of other places that have cameras, today I saw two at the local fish and chip shop no signs.

Is this universal across Australia as we are a volunteer organisation and need to obey the law, I am in Queensland.

Thanks

Laws vary from state to state.

There's a requirement in NSW under the Workplace Surveillance Act () to notify staff, although this doesn't need to be by signage per se. Obviously it's of no relevance to Queensland. Do they have laws up there yet? :-) Seriously, as I understand, NSW is the only state to introduce laws about surveillance in the workplace.

Although signs are certainly common, I can't recall any obligation (at least in NSW) to advise the public that they are under surveillance in a public area with no expectation of privacy to begin with. George, which legislation are you referring to?

Regardless, there's a (very minor) deterrent benefit and Engel's cameras obviously aren't intended to be covert, so can't hurt to put signage up anyway.

Thanks

Yes we do have a few laws. Cameras are getting to be like mice breeding in ever increasing numbers. I am to install one on our remote radio repeater site viewing the only road in and I don't intend to warn them beforehand as it could end up with bullet holes before they take and transmit their pictures.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    George, which legislation are you referring to?
    I'm referring to the Workplace Surveillance ACT 2005-SECT 11 (b) and the Australian Standard AS4806.1–2006 CCTV, as best practice, Management and Operation states that (as a minimum) CCTV signage be posted at all CCTV system site entries.

Thanks

Thanks. That covers employees (i.e. the workplace) but not public areas where it's still the Wild West. Interestingly, if they ever did legislate signage in public areas, densely populated CBD areas would be wallpapered with signs. Maybe they could just put a roooly big one at the entrance to the City.

Thanks

I would just put up the signs to be sure, and on the plus side they are a bit of a deterrent.

More signs the merrier.

Thanks

I suspect the deterrent effect is negligible but I haven't read any research one way or the other. Regardless, it could probably be filed under "it can't hurt". Even then, the number of (often home made, laser printed) signs warning of CCTV has probably devalued the impact of such warnings.

In any case, I don't think prepared criminals will be too fussed as I'm yet to see a mainstream CCTV product which can't be defeated by a pair of sunglasses and a hat.

...But, it can't hurt.

Thanks

Definition of workplace according to the Act: premises, or any other place, where employees work, or any part of such premises or place.

I would think private residences would constitute a workplace for various trades/services and therefore CCTV systems installed would have to comply with the Workplace Surveillance Act.
    Last edited by intelliGEORGE; 28-11-11 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

Last place I worked at had exterior cameras and signage but it didn't stop someone from stealing one of the cameras.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Bibliophile For This Useful Post:

hj1980 (10-12-11)

Thanks

What about the sign?

Thanks

what about speed cameras? do they require a sign at eye level ?

Thanks

Thanks all I think I will just put a simple sign up on our boat shed only. On the flip side I was at a machinery storage yard yesterday that had lots of earthmoving equipment and a large metal shed. There were signs on the fence every 10 M and I could not see any cameras nowhere they could be hidden so I suspect it might be there as a deterrent.
    I do know one place that was having vandalism problem but when camera enclosures and sign went up no more vandalism, they forgot the cameras.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thing View Post
    what about speed cameras? do they require a sign at eye level ?
    Don't get me started on speed cameras!!

Ever noticed the 3MP Mobotix cameras installed at the new dual red light/speed camera intersections? They are positioned to capture you as you approach camera in order to photograph the driver.

Coincidentally, the RTA has been compiling facial recognition data from drivers licences for almost 2 years now...