Thread: an old one

Thanks

Default an old one

copped a landline call 2day the ol computer centre offering to fix my pc yadayada,i told them i dont have a computer and 2 multiply somewhere else, an oldie but they still use it so some suckers must still be out there

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anyone View Post
    copped a landline call 2day the ol computer centre offering to fix my pc yadayada,i told them i dont have a computer and 2 multiply somewhere else, an oldie but they still use it so some suckers must still be out there
    Those w**kers are very persistent. The last few months at work, it has been hot topic with overseas calls being received trying to state that their computer has a Microsoft problem.

Many humerous actions were stated...
    don't have my windows open as it's too cold;
    where is the windows button;
    only have a Mac, no windows here;
    pass the phone to your crying baby;
    place the phone next to the tv speaker
    ;...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

Unfortunately, those suckers are often senior citizens who have only recently started to use computers and are so intimidated by the technology that they can be persuaded to believe almost anything. Only today I was asked for help by one of the new people at the Mens Shed of which I am a member.
    Caller says they are from Microsoft and offers to fix problems on their computer if they go to a particular website which looks convincingly like a legitimate Microsoft one. They gain access and muck about for a while and then offer ongoing support for a few hundred dollars. At this point the guy smelled a rat and declined. As a parting gesture they have screwed his operating system to the point where it looks like I will have to do a reformat and clean install of Vista. Not everyone in this circumstance sees the possibility of fraud.

Thanks

Tell them you don`t have Microsoft on your computer, you have Linux.

Or Just say to them, can you hear that truck reversing ? then hang up on them. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.
    80cm KU Band with Strong SRT 4910 HD receiver, H-H motor:

Asiasat 4, Optus D2, Optus C1, Optus D1, Intelsat 8, GE 23, Intelsat 701.

2.3m C Band: Strong SRT 4910 HD receiver:

Asiasat 5, Asiasat 3s, Telkom 1, Palapa D, Chinasat 6B, Asiasat 4, Vinasat 1, Apstar 6, Telstar 18.

Thanks

LOL i got me one of them gas horns , he he he he works a treat , they dont ring here anymore.

Cheers

JH

Thanks

Had one here at a private residentce of some 8 months standing, something about 'your computer is infected and I am here to help you'. Told them I have an apple.

Wife took a call from one one night, led them on a bit and laughe, "Do you people really think I am going to give you my credit card number and details, do you really think I'm that stupid"? 'No maam'. "You do know we have TV programs about you people?". Hangs up.
    Last edited by Keepleft; 19-12-11 at 08:56 PM.
    5th Wyking Panzer Division

Thanks
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 850 Posts

A little off topic but perhaps it will interest a few.
    Last week I got my Visa card statement and noticed an irregular charge for $4750.00
    I rang my bank (Westpac) and within 10 minutes they advised me that it was a fraudulent transaction and that all costs and charges would be credited back to my account - so I was happy.....but, what amazes me is the sequence of events that not only made this happen but also allowed it to happen.

1 - My VISA card is not linked in anyway to my personal banking details
    2 - My VISA card is linked to my business banking details
    3 - They accessed my personal bank account, setup a link to my visa card, accessed my visa card and did a cash advance to my private banking account (Still westpac but different a/c's) once the funds were in my private account they transfered the full amount to the CBA, from the CBA they transfered it to the ANZ and from the ANZ they transfered it to a Chinese Clothing Company (Whom I've never dealt with) based in Taiwan. At no time were any of my business transaction accounts touched.

Although Westpac weren't very forthcoming with a lot of information, I got the distinct impression they were suspicious of their own staff - they didn't say this, it's just a gut feeling I got from discussions with both Westpacs fraud department and the fraud squad.

For myself I can't understand how they did it, Westpacs own on line computer scans came up clean, My own AV and Malaware bytes (both paid for) came up clean the only oddity in the chain was I recently installed a SDD drive as the boot drive on my system, this was a drive that I imported, because of the cost factor from Hong Kong.
    As soon as this episode became apparent and after Westpac had cleared my system I reinstalled Windows 7 on a brand new locally purchased drive. Westpac asked if they could have the originally SSD drive for analysis, needless to say I gave it to them (yes they reimbursed the purchase cost)
    cheers

• The Following User Says Thank You to Seymour Butts For This Useful Post:

anyone (21-12-11)