Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Channel 74 TV4ME

Thanks

ive got a hd tv i get all the other channels just not tv4me it comes up saying HD service but ive got a hd tv want to know whats going on

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by james86 View Post
    ive got a hd tv i get all the other channels just not tv4me it comes up saying HD service but ive got a hd tv want to know whats going on
    Depending where you are.. it may be transmitted in MPEG4 and your tuner may not be MPEG4 compliant.. eg: it may only be MPEG2 HD.

Check the specs of your TV tuner.

Unless you're an infomercial addict.... you're not missing anything.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Surely their not going to be stupid enough to transmit in MPEG4 when it seems very few have suitable receivers and a 'shopping' channel at that ??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Surely their not going to be stupid enough to transmit in MPEG4 when it seems very few have suitable receivers and a 'shopping' channel at that ??
    MPEG4 is a far more efficient use of transmission bandwidth.. you can fit more into less without PQ degredation. (Which is different from recorded PQ)

Most later model TV's and STB's have MPEG4 capable tuners, and MPEG4 will eventually become the norm in Australia.

New Zealand got it right by selecting MPEG4 for their DVB-T system.

Thanks

Will we ever get any decent channels in this country? Or are we destined to become clones of the Yanks and have shopping channel crap 24/7, really old 60/70's shows (in HD mind you) and those stupid reality shows etc. ??

I should do a scan and see if this useless new channel shows up. I know that the new Prime one does.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrtw View Post
    ....I should do a scan and see if this useless new channel shows up. I know that the new Prime one does.
    Television 4 is the new 7/Prime channel

Thanks

Smile Tv4me

I live in Innisfail NQ, we get our tv from Cairns. I have a samsung full HD lcd tv 6months old and I can pic up the new ch easy, didn't have to scan for it. My mums samsung lcd bit older, didn't nead to re scan, my friends panasonic lcd doesn't receive it. I have found the tv guide is always wrong for TV4ME. Not the best ch. A few days ago I was just changing ch' and there it was wish gov would allow many more ch's. More kids ch's, more HD ch's. One HD is awesome on my full hd lcd. TV4ME looks like a cheap satalite tv ch, bad pic quality. These's my 2 cents.

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nacriuos View Post
    Sorry but not all are. Television 4 which is channel 64 from Prime Ballarat is

transmited in only mpeg2 and can be viewed on a standard Def pvr.
    That is very interesting considering the press release anouncing TV4ME below.

Either at Ballarat they are transcoding it from MPEG4 back to MPEG2 (very expensive and many glitches) or your PVR is both MPEG2 and MPEG4 compatible. I'd bet your PVR is capable. Does it display 576i, 720i or 1080i on the screen when you change channel to TV4ME?
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by james86 View Post
    Older (and some no name brand) HD TV's are capable of up to 1080i/p picture quality. This then qualifys them as High Definition.

The issue is the tuner. It may only be equipped with an MPEG2 capable tuner as opposed to an MPEG2/MPEG4 capable tuner. How old is your TV and what brand is it?

Most brands don't even include whether their tuners are MPEG2 or 4 capable in their instruction manual. I don't know if a firmware upgrade is even possible so the solution might be an MPEG4 STB.

Thanks

Yes they are both doing it and stupid - but you already knew that. You will find more and more MPEG4 services eventuating as most of the world is now using it and Australia buys television technology from OS.

The MPEG4 stream as you know can contain a lot more data. This then facilitates features such as 3D TV and return path instructions for internet connected STB's and Smart TV's - all of which are the latest and greatest items on sale now.

Arguing against the roll-out of MPEG4 is pointless and we are only penalising ourselves if we do. The tragedy here is that with all that capacity MPEG4 is being used for a low res crappy shopping channel. I bet better services are on the horizon. I'll tell you more about at least one of these very soon.

Administrator
    Thanks

TV4 both Ballarat and Bendigo is MPEG2 576i

I think you'll find Prime is running it on MPEG2 and 7 is MPEG4
    Last edited by mtv; 05-12-11 at 01:46 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

beerman (06-12-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I remember a discussion several months ago regarding MPEG2 vs MPEG4 and while I dont care personaly if they transmit in Triple-Quad-Gold-Plated-Aluminium-Foil covered Emu eggs, so long as we have ONE bloody standard and EVERYONE (TV's PVR's) has it and not this half have this but not the other leaving people high and dry with expensive but now useless equipment.
    Its no good saying the 500 Inch whole wall HD that cost thousands but with only an MPEG 2 tuner fitted can still be used by adding an MPEG4 stb to it that costs more $$$$ to me is downright bloody disgracefull because no one seems to know what the hell is going on.
    I see 3D is rearing its ugly head again despite comments that the recent trials with 3D were exactly that and there is no intention in the foreseable future of broadcasting in 3D.
    So what is going on, is there anybody actualy steering this 'Ship' or is it being simply blown about by the 'Good Idea at the Time' winds to see where it may dock?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    we should sue the government or at least demand a buy back for all our old MPEG2 equipment that they told us we would need. Now they start fn MPEG4 transmissions!
    I remember a discussion several months ago regarding MPEG2 vs MPEG4 and while I dont care personaly if they transmit in Triple-Quad-Gold-Plated-Aluminium-Foil covered Emu eggs, so long as we have ONE bloody standard and EVERYONE (TV's PVR's) has it and not this half have this but not the other leaving people high and dry with expensive but now useless equipment.
    Its no good saying the 500 Inch whole wall HD that cost thousands but with only an MPEG 2 tuner fitted can still be used by adding an MPEG4 stb to it that costs more $$$$ to me is downright bloody disgracefull because no one seems to know what the hell is going on.
    I see 3D is rearing its ugly head again despite comments that the recent trials with 3D were exactly that and there is no intention in the foreseable future of broadcasting in 3D.
    So what is going on, is there anybody actualy steering this 'Ship' or is it being simply blown about by the 'Good Idea at the Time' winds to see where it may dock?
    what I said!!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Television 4 is the new 7/Prime channel
    My apologies. Well it's even better now.. as some people would probably get both the 7 and Prime versions of these channels though if they can receive both the capital city and regional channels in their areas. (eg, Gold Coast, Central Coast NSW, Blue Mountains and Wollongong)
    Just a thought.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrtw View Post
    My apologies. Well it's even better now.. as some people would probably get both the 7 and Prime versions of these channels though if they can receive both the capital city and regional channels in their areas. (eg, Gold Coast, Central Coast NSW, Blue Mountains and Wollongong)
    Just a thought.
    Even better?.... nah... just double the crap!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (06-12-11),mrtw (06-12-11)

Thanks

Yeah. I couldn't find a 'sarcasm' smiley.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mrtw For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (06-12-11)

Thanks

It is very difficult to progress technology without making previous technology obsolete. Sooner or later the older technology just won't have the features that people want and expect.

Of course everyone wants the best picture, best sound, 3DTV, interactivity, internet connectivity etc, etc. So when the techology is made available to do that at a reasonable price it will ineviatably be adopted.

As the saying goes; "you can please all of the people some of the time or some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time".

Yep, change is never easy.

Thanks

What I don't get is how can they call this a "data-casting" service? Where's the data?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Ah yes mpeg2/mpeg4, who was that fed. communications minister who got the free plasma and who had no bloody idea what he was approving...........

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogknees View Post
    What I don't get is how can they call this a "data-casting" service? Where's the data?
    The ACMA often lump Datacasting in with Narrow Casting. Narrowcasting is for a limited audience (i.e Religion, Tourism etc). A shopping Channel is definately of little interest and therefore Narrowcasting.

However, I agree, where is the data?

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast