Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Channel 74 TV4ME

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    However, I agree, where is the data?
    Perhaps they consider it's all the 1's & 0's in the phone numbers and prices they advertise?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Ah yes mpeg2/mpeg4, who was that fed. communications minister who got the free plasma and who had no bloody idea what he was approving...........
    The honourable Senator Richard Alston, Minister for Communications. Blissfully ignorant of anything related to communications policy. Telstra lent him the TV, see
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

G'day all,

Guess what? Channel 74 is back to MPEG 2. Confirmed this just now, go figure.

Cheers
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Is it just barely possible the Dodo's in charge realised that to broadcast in a format that is incompatible for their projected customers to see results in Negative sales??

Simply put if they cant see it, they wont buy it!!!

I do realise this would be quite a leap based on the intellegence of those behind using MPEG4 in the first place but then, stranger things have happened.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

This channel is fairly useless. Here in Sydney we get stuff like University of NSW tv, religion, Expo home shopping adverts, psychic TV and self help style programming.

The only program worth watching on 4ME is CNET TV

Premium Member

Thanks

Regreatably both Regional and VAST viewers dont have those available and the poor VAST users dont get TV4ME at all, makes you weep dont it !!!!!
    I heard a theory that says for every Digital Channel available, the Crap content increases by 150% and so far I believe the quota has been exceeded by a country mile.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I don't mind Psychic TV, CNet fairly good.I would mind maybe bit of A Rodder's Life,Blokesworld,Bit of Tech stuff like PC gadgets like on Net25 channel or Satellite Tech stuff like the one they use to show on Westlink Channel a few years back.Maybe bit of Pimp My Ride episodes..

Thanks

My Mystar HD gets all free view ch's but doesnt get TV4ME (no great Loss) as stated earlier ppost of mine. i can watch if i want to threw my tv's inbuilt tuner.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bestestimes View Post
    My Mystar HD gets all free view ch's but doesnt get TV4ME (no great Loss) as stated earlier ppost of mine. i can watch if i want to threw my tv's inbuilt tuner.
    Austar may not have added it to your channel list.

Mystar does not operate like a 'normal' TV tuner. Eg: If you took your Mystar box somewhere else, it will still try to tune FTA channels from your home address area, so if the box is outside terrestrial FTA signals from your home area, you won't get terrestrial FTA channels on it.

It won't tune FTA terrestrial channels in other areas unless your Austar account address (where the box is registered) is changed to that new area.

You could try disconnecting the power (at the wall) of the Mystar box, waiting 30 seconds then switching back on to see if it updates tuning, otherwise, you'll need to wait until Austar add that channel to your local channel list.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

beerman (10-04-12),OSIRUS (10-04-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

When a friend got the Mystar connected he said as it scanned through the terrestial channels it showed loctions outside his know reception area and as such he thought he was able to receive not only his local translator but in the adjacent town as well.
    I couldnt see how this could be due to his location basicaly 'Up a Gully and behind the Mountain' for this particular translator but now we know that the digital terrestial tuner is controlled by Austar so it would appear they 'load' the terrestial services by your post code or a group of Post codes that are associated in an area like mine that covers from Lithgow to Dubbo for example.
    A neighbour I am waiting to supply a VAST stb to in the Village had a Mystar installed thinking because they advertised that is was capable of receiving terrestial FTA but as she found out that only applies if you are in an area covered by a FTA terrestial transmitter but she isnt.

PS, we havent got that new 'Extra' (84/94) run by the NINE network as yet and so far I dont think anyone is overly bothered.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 10-04-12 at 11:56 AM.

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Mystar does not operate like a 'normal' TV tuner. It won't tune FTA terrestrial channels in other areas unless your Austar account address (where the box is registered) is changed to that new area.
    How do they manage that? I thought the Mystar box was simply a dual tuner Sat/Terrestrial receiver. I understand the encryption card for the Austar content but why would they be at all concerned with the FTA reception?

I may also have answered my own question. Perhaps if the FTA terrestrial content is difficult to get you'll watch more Austar and hence pay (more).
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    How do they manage that? I thought the Mystar box was simply a dual tuner Sat/Terrestrial receiver. I understand the encryption card for the Austar content but why would they be at all concerned with the FTA reception?

I may also have answered my own question. Perhaps if the FTA terrestrial content is difficult to get you'll watch more Austar and hence pay (more).
    All controlled by smartcard.

Yes, they are a dual tuner (terrestrial & sat) but just as they limit what can be tuned from satellite (eg: other fta sat channels can't be added) they control which terrestrial channels can be displayed.

Perhaps it has something to do with channel numbering that they can't (or don't want to) provide for different frequencies with the same network LCN's?.... just guessing.

I really don't see the need for FTA terrestrial to be so 'controlled' with access.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I really don't see the need for FTA terrestrial to be so 'controlled' with access.
    I imagine its because some are carried by sat (ABC/SBS SD channels), and that Expo etc. might get annoyed if they have to compete with TV4ME and eXtra.

The FTA areas themselves programmed into the card arent overly restrictive either, boxes in my area will tune all the major transmitter within a considerable distance.

Premium Member

Thanks

One stupid thing with the standard Mystar is that it is only an SD tuner as far as I know but I do know he took a box to Sydney and it wont tune in the Sydney metro channels.
    I could never see the sense of having the stb connected to the TV antenna.
    All it does is save you the effort off changing Input sources on the TV remote.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    One stupid thing with the standard Mystar is that it is only an SD tuner as far as I know but I do know he took a box to Sydney and it wont tune in the Sydney metro channels.
    I could never see the sense of having the stb connected to the TV antenna.
    All it does is save you the effort off changing Input sources on the TV remote.
    As mentioned, access to terrestrial channels depends on the area where the box is registered.

Crazy I know for FTA terrestrial.

It's a crap box anyway.

Hopefully the Foxtel takeover will at least improve equipment a bit (iQ) but I wonder how regional FTA TV will accessed via Foxtel.

There's no way they'll carry regional FTA TV channels and there's no way they'll allow metro area commercial channels to be viewed by regional viewers.

Most likely regional areas will be given access to ABC/SBS only.

Thanks

One stupid thing with the standard Mystar is that it is only an SD tuner
    Yeah thats pretty poor form on their part, the terrestrial tuner should just get all stations like even a $29 STB will get these days. Id guess that its a firmware/card imposed restriction, not anything related to the hardware, which would make it even more slack really.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nbound View Post
    Yeah thats pretty poor form on their part, the terrestrial tuner should just get all stations like even a $29 STB will get these days. Id guess that its a firmware/card imposed restriction, not anything related to the hardware, which would make it even more slack really.
    Go to the GoodGuys and get a HDSTB for $20.

MTV: Most likely regional areas will be given access to ABC/SBS only
    ABC1 & 3 along with SBS1 & 2 are already available on Austar so most likely this will remain the same once the merger is completed IF they allow a Subscriber (Foxtel or Austar ) to relocate the STB to a regional or Metro address or not.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 11-04-12 at 12:24 AM.

Thanks

Go to the GoodGuys and get a HDSTB for $20.
    Saw that... they are a bloody steal these days.

ABC1 & 3 along with SBS1 & 2 are already available on Austar so most likely this will remain the same once the merger is completed IF they allow a Subscriber (Foxtel or Austar ) to relocate the STB to a regional or Metro address or not.
    ABC2 is available on Austar (and Foxtel) satellite too (Ch126).

Premium Member

Thanks

Missed that on the back page of the Austar guide so all they need is ABC24 (news) and its a full set.

Administrator
    Thanks

I'm aware of that, what I'm saying is it's likely to stay restricted to ABC/SBS channels with commercial networks unlikely to be made available to regional viewers via Foxtel/Austar satellite, due to the huge amount of 'local' advertising licence areas of commercial regional networks.

A perfect example of this is the restrictions placed on viewers of VAST, which is completely FTA.

The FTA networks pay Foxtel to carry their programming for metro areas (even then, not all metro areas) as they are few in (area) numbers and have the bulk of the population, so I expect if an existing subscriber moves from a regional area to a metro area which Foxtel included FTA channels, then those subscribers will have access to thos ecommercial FTA channels in those metro areas.

It's really no different to how it happens now, just likely easier to relocate as it will be all one company after the merger.

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast