Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Optus D2

Thanks

Default Finding Optus D2

hey guys,

i have been trying to find optus D2 or the past 3 days and there has been no luck the quailty is at 30 and the power at 65

the setup im using is:

Dish: 65cm
    LNB: Mediastar 10700
    Diseqc switch
    RG6 coaxial cable
    Receiver: Mediastar HD900s

I have found Intelsat 8 on the other satellite and its working fine, that's why I'm using a Diseqc switch.

i have changed the LNB to a new one and the Diseqc switch but still no luck

can someone tell me whats wrong I'm in the area of South Penrith

regards
    gner8r

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quite likely LNB skew hasn't been optimised.

What method have you used to adjust the LNB skew?

Do you realise Optus sats have a skew around 40 deg different to other sats?

If you have set the skew the same as the LNB on IS8, that will be the problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by gner8r View Post
    hey guys,

i have been trying to find optus D2 or the past 3 days and there has been no luck the quailty is at 30 and the power at 65

the setup im using is:

Dish: 65cm
    LNB: Mediastar 10700
    Diseqc switch
    RG6 coaxial cable
    Receiver: Mediastar HD900s

I have found Intelsat 8 on the other satellite and its working fine, that's why I'm using a Diseqc switch.

i have changed the LNB to a new one and the Diseqc switch but still no luck

can someone tell me whats wrong I'm in the area of South Penrith

regards
    gner8r
    G'Day Cobber.
    Methinks you are misinformed.
    There are a few options, but you will not lock more than one Satellite with a fixed Dish.
    Please, more information as to what you are trying to achieve will help?

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Administrator
    Thanks

Reading between the lines (the missing bits) I interpreted it as there are two separate dishes... with an LNB on each dish selected via the diseqc switch.

Even if there were two LNB's on a single fixed mount dish, it's still possible... but pushing it a bit for IS8 and D2 on a 65cm dish.

Agreed.... clarification on the setup from the OP would help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    G'Day Cobber.
    Methinks you are misinformed.
    There are a few options, but you will not lock more than one Satellite with a fixed Dish.
    Please, more information as to what you are trying to achieve will help?

ok sorry guys for the missing information

well i have 2 dishes, 1 thats point to Intelsat 8 and 1 which is for optus d2 but i cannot find optus d2

Administrator
    Thanks

i have 2 dishes, 1 thats point to Intelsat 8 and 1 which is for optus d2 but i cannot find optus d2
    You first post suggested you had found D2, but signal level and quality were low.

the quailty is at 30 and the power at 65
    65 for signal strength is OK, but higher is better... 30 is probably a bit low for signal quality, which i why I suspected LNB skew being the issue.

You haven't answered my questions about your LNB skew.

Have you found Optus C1/D3?.... D2 is slightly higher and a bit to the west (to the left, when viewed from behind the dish) from C1/D3.

How are you performing the dish alignment... satfinder, decoder-only.... which D2 transponder frequency are you using for tuning?

More info needed to help.

Thanks

location is also missing from your post. for the cost a of dish these days I would not even bother with a 65cm. go for a 80cm you'll find sats abit easier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strada916 View Post
    location is also missing from your post. for the cost a of dish these days I would not even bother with a 65cm. go for a 80cm you'll find sats abit easier.
    I agree and also when stormy you will have less of a chance of signal drop outs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strada916 View Post
    Strada, he stated his location as South Penrith. With that information I can assure you that, although size does matter, your 65cm dish should work under most conditions. I bought, a 65cm dish on ebay for $5 and pointed it to D2 for the 2 Italian channels and the signals start cutting out under significant cloud cover or rain. Note that I'm about 25km from your location so reception, for all intents and purposes, is identical.

So to some technical stuff...

1. Did you align your dish using a local landmark found on dishpointer.com such as a tree, pole, neighbour's antenna mast etc. This helps in fine tuning location?

2. Is the mast plumb? Not a big issue if you compensate for it, but it will throw your elevation, azimuth and skew out if you rely on the official figures?

3. Is the LNB skewed to about the 7 O'clock position. Most LNB cables attach the same way. That means that the cable insertion on your LNB should be pointing to the 7 o'clock position looking into the dish (5 o'clock from behind).

4. Was the elevation set via calibrations on your dish or using an angle finder?

5. Did you correctly program your receiver with a transponder frequency, as per lyngsat.com,

6. Did you position your receiver on the correct DiSeCq setting for D2?

7. Have you performed an East to West swipe of the dish about the presumed azimiuth (given the elevation was set correctly) with a satfinder attached to indicate max signal strength?

8. Is there an obstruction along the line of sight?

If you answered YES to all of the above (except the last), then you should be receiving a signal.

Cheers
    OC
    Last edited by Optima Collins; 01-12-11 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks

thanks for all your help so far guys,

the LNB skew according to dishpointer.com is 2 degrees so that's what i set it to, is this wrong?

in regards to Optus C1/D3 there is another satellite that is set to that and its receiving it fine but i did not set that satellite (i'm using it as a reference).

answers to below questions

1. Did you align your dish using a local landmark found on dishpointer.com such as a tree, pole, neighbour's antenna mast etc. This helps in fine tuning location? YES

2. Is the mast plumb? Not a big issue if you compensate for it, but it will throw your elevation, azimuth and skew out if you rely on the official figures?
    YES, the mast is 100% level i check

3. Is the LNB skewed to about the 7 O'clock position. Most LNB cables attach the same way. That means that the cable insertion on your LNB should be pointing to the 7 o'clock position looking into the dish (5 o'clock from behind).
    LNB Skew is set to 2 degrees to the right (when behind the dish)

4. Was the elevation set via calibrations on your dish or using an angle finder?
    via the dish markings which is 50.2 degrees

5. Did you correctly program your receiver with a transponder frequency, as per lyngsat.com,
    YES, as per lyngsat tp settings as follows 12734 V 22500

YES DiSeCq LNB 2, and also have changed the DiSeCq switch just in chase it was faulty but no luck there

7. Have you performed an East to West swipe of the dish about the presumed azimiuth (given the elevation was set correctly) with a satfinder attached to indicate max signal strength?
    YES, tried to use a sat finder but the signal peaks at the sat finder but not at the receiver

YES, cut down 2 trees because of that and still no signal

before i was using a sat finder but the power dropped so i stopped and I was using the signal meter on the receiver

Thanks

Wink

the LNB skew according to dishpointer.com is 2 degrees so that's what i set it to, is this wrong?

in regards to Optus C1/D3 there is another satellite that is set to that and its receiving it fine but i did not set that satellite (i'm using it as a reference).

1. Did you align your dish using a local landmark found on dishpointer.com such as a tree, pole, neighbour's antenna mast etc. This helps in fine tuning location? YES

YES, the mast is 100% level i check

via the dish markings which is 50.2 degrees

YES, as per lyngsat tp settings as follows 12734 V 22500

YES DiSeCq LNB 2, and also have changed the DiSeCq switch just in chase it was faulty but no luck there

YES, tried to use a sat finder but the signal peaks at the sat finder but not at the receiver

YES, cut down 2 trees because of that and still no signal

before i was using a sat finder but the power dropped so i stopped and I was using the signal meter on the receiver
    G'Day Cobber.
    You do need to reset the Skew as suggested.
    Is the Sat Finder self powered or from the decoder?
    Have you checked the cable and connections?
    Have you measured the 18V and 13V at the decoder?
    And at the LNB?
    You could try swapping the decoders.
    Also try a straight through connection without the switch.

Give that a go and report.

Last edited by beer4life; 01-12-11 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks

OK, this may be a problem because the Optus sats are inclined at 45 degrees and dishpointer doen't take that factor into account. Neither does satlex:

Do as I said above. Skew the LNB slowly until it is at about the 7 oclock position and the signal will eventually peak at the appropriate angle.

Then the problem can be a configuration issue, connection issue or a faulty cable

Unless you inadvertently moved the dish, that definitely implicates a faulty connection/cable. Also note that a satfinder gives you real-time readings a receiver always lags in response which means you may have difficulty finding a sat if you move it too fast.

OC
    Last edited by Optima Collins; 01-12-11 at 01:54 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,972 Times in 1,289 Posts

Try using 12407 vert 30000 2/3
    thats the tune channell for D2

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    Try using 12407 vert 30000 2/3
    thats the tune channell for D2
    That makes it hard to tell which Optus Satellite that you are on without seeing the picture.

Thanks

mmm if I was in this position I would break out the Johny walker then try again after the drink wore off (don't dish align and drink)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vautek View Post
    mmm if I was in this position I would break out the Johny walker then try again after the drink wore off (don't dish align and drink)
    roger that

ok so I'm pretty sure that the LNB skew is the problem i will try to rectify that and then try to sweep for a signal, but when i was sweeping before i was getting max 65 for the power is that fine (will that change when i fix the LNB)

also to clarify the LNB skew i have to set it to approx 43 dregees (45-2) which is approx 7 o'clock looking at the image below

the cable has to be at the 7 O'clock mark (looking into the satellite not behind the satellite), pretty much clock wise

thanks

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    That makes it hard to tell which Optus Satellite that you are on without seeing the picture.

No the test pattern clearly states OPTUS D2

• The Following User Says Thank You to toyboy11 For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (01-12-11)

Banned
    Thanks

Gner8r.

Are you sure that it's not what your looking for (D2)

Do as MTV said find C1 and the move smigingly to the left (from behind) and up a micky hair and you will get it.
    Set your box to an active transponder 12.407 and you should see the Tunining channel Optus D2 152 deg east.
    Last edited by toyboy11; 01-12-11 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks

roger that

ok so I'm pretty sure that the LNB skew is the problem i will try to rectify that and then try to sweep for a signal, but when i was sweeping before i was getting max 65 for the power is that fine (will that change when i fix the LNB)

Think of it this way. If you were to put both of you hands vertically (or horizontally) up to the sky so that you were, figuratively speaking, looking at the satellite through the slit between each hand, your field of view would only consist of what was not obstructed by your hands. For our Optus sats that means you would only see a small part of the satellite. Now by moving your hands progressively to 45 degrees you would see more and more of the same bird until it all come into view. In this instance, your hands are acting like the LNB. If it isn't skewed properly, it can't really see all of the signal, be it Horizontal or Vertical, so you won't get a strong signal, if at all. Likewise, you should be able to appreciate that if the LNB is skewed in the opposite direction you will still get a strong signal, however, your receiver will see your signal polarities as being inverted, i.e. a vertical signal will scan as horizontal and vice versa.

I hope that explains it better to you.

OC
    Last edited by Optima Collins; 01-12-11 at 05:42 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

To optimise the LNB skew.. you MUST be able to see the signal scale on a screen as youturn the LNB in very small increments, then wait a second or so after each movement to allow the tuner to 'catch up'.

A cheap satfinder will not give you any indication of signal quality, which is why you MUST be able to see what the signals are doing with either the decoder, or a meter which displays signal quality, whilst you make any adjustments to LNB skew.

The 6-7 o'clock position is only a starting point and you WILL have to fine-tune the LNB skew position for maximum signal quality.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast