Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Vast PVR Remote and S/ware

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Just to also note I am not saying your are wrong toyboy11 Its just that you are quoting someone who is not providing any evidence to back up what he is saying.

I have seen that many either false or incorrect things in the last few weeks I only take things as gospel if they can be absolutely proven.

I have just come from a thread in General Chat where it was proven what was posted was totally incorrect.....I am a lot more paranoid of whats fact and fiction these days.

Anyway , hopefully MTV can get an answer directly from them.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (06-12-11),mtv (06-12-11),Tiny (06-12-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    ......Anyway , hopefully MTV can get an answer directly from them.
    I have emailed the UEC person responsible for the project and awaiting a reply to either confirm or deny the rumour and if UEC still plan to make the PVR upgrade option available, why it isn't available now and (apart from soon) when it will be available.

I preferred to request an emailed response, rather than a 'verbal' reply by phone for obvious reasons.

I shall advise the outcome as soon as I receive it.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (06-12-11),Tiny (06-12-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The registration key they are referring to is the one for the PVR remote.
    Thanks mtv. There wasn't one, at least nothing bundled in the DSD4121 PVR Ready box purchased from ftatv. The seal was good/intact from Altech UEC. Remote was inclusive, but as I say no registration key and further, no working remote at pics.

Anyway, UEC support has provided the code and I'm up and rolling. All good.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by th37sk View Post
    Thanks mtv. There wasn't one, at least nothing bundled in the DSD4121 PVR Ready box purchased from ftatv. The seal was good/intact from Altech UEC. Remote was inclusive, but as I say no registration key and further, no working remote at pics.

The remote registration key is usually on an instruction sheet specifically for that purpose.

Good to hear UEC was helpful for you.

Now all we need is the remote 'upgrades' for those who bought the original box.

Thanks

Yep, no key on the instructions. Have it here in my hand as I'm installing an external HDD. I was just contacted by the folks at ftatv who also offered to grab the code and they noted UEC missed a few boxes last week.

Now all we need is the remote 'upgrades' for those who bought the original box.
    Yeah I feel for you guys. Hopefully they'll also release a firmware upgrade resolving the Samsung hdmi bug which I've conveniently learned of this morning, too. At least I can manage that with a box reset - every time I change input on the tele to hdmi2/Satellite

Thanks

[H
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtv
    The registration key they are referring to is the one for the PVR remote.

#
    Got a pvr ready stb for a well known WA shop , no code needed from UEC for remote because the stb was enabled for pvr use straight from the UEC sealed box, just pluged in the seagate 1TB Hdd , fomat it & and away we go.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gavatron View Post
    [HGot a pvr ready stb for a well known WA shop , no code needed from UEC for remote because the stb was enabled for pvr use straight from the UEC sealed box, just pluged in the seagate 1TB Hdd , fomat it & and away we go.
    This is what I would have expected and probably the reason why there wasn't a remote registration code the box th37sk received.

It makes sense that the remotes are pre-registered and assigned to the particular decoder when shipped.

The registration process should only be required when adding the PVR remote to the original 4121 box.

Still waiting on a reply from UEC about it's availability.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Just to also note I am not saying your are wrong toyboy11 Its just that you are quoting someone who is not providing any evidence to back up what he is saying.

I have seen that many either false or incorrect things in the last few weeks I only take things as gospel if they can be absolutely proven.

I have just come from a thread in General Chat where it was proven what was posted was totally incorrect.....I am a lot more paranoid of whats fact and fiction these days.

Anyway , hopefully MTV can get an answer directly from them.
    Well he is a big supplier of Satellite equipment here in the west as well as the rest of the country.
    You actually banned him from this Forum some time back and he may not be the greatest guy around when it comes to business, but why would he send me an email advising me that UEC where not releasing the Remotes and S/ware upgrades
    Last edited by toyboy11; 06-12-11 at 04:37 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    ..... why would he send me an email advising me that UEC where not releasing the Remotes and S/ware upgrades
    That question would be best asked of him.

The email you've quoted from UEC makes no mention of the PVR Upgrade option being withdrawn, so once again, there is no substantiated evidence to suggest otherwise at this time.

Banned
    Thanks

The email you've quoted from UEC makes no mention of the PVR Upgrade option being withdrawn, so once again, there is no substantiated evidence to suggest otherwise at this time.
    Iv'e since edited that that was a previous email that was answered back in August my mistake.
    Last edited by toyboy11; 06-12-11 at 04:50 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

I spoke to a Person at UEC today

& to put it in my own words,

UEC assures me, that they fully intend to release the PVR Upgrade kit & OTA download for the Vast DSD4121 STB

The Software has been submitted for testing, & they are waiting for approval, & as soon as this is complete the OTA software update will be made available.....

they still don't know when approval will be granted at this stage......

As an interim measure, for people who want the PVR functionality now,

He Said, The Altech UEC Lane Cove West Service Centre, is offering to pre-activate units with the PVR upgrade Kit + New PVR Remote....

These units can either be purchased New, or customers can arrange to send them their existing units.

Pricing & details can be arranged by Telephoning, The Altech UEC Lane Cove West Service Centre NSW
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 06-12-11 at 11:13 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

AJM (07-12-11),Croady (09-12-11),dam0 (06-12-11),mtv (06-12-11),Tiny (06-12-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    I spoke to a a Person at UEC today

UEC assures me, that they full intend to release the PVR Upgrade kit & OTA download for the Vast DSD4121 STB

The Software has been submitted for testing, & they are waiting for approval, & as soon as this is complete the OTA software update will be made available.....

He Said, The UEC Lane Cove West Service Centre, is offering to pre-activate units with the PVR upgrade Kit + New PVR Remote....

These units can either be purchased New, or customers can arrange to send them their existing units.

Pricing & details can be arranged by by Telephoning, The UEC Lane Cove West Service Centre
    That suggests that the info sent to toyboy11 from a WA retailer is false and misleading.

What is interesting though, is UEC's explanation about the software (firmware) that is still being subjected to an approval process.... surely this is the identical software which is being used in the identical 4121 boxes being supplied with the PVR remote' package'?

Given it's a $20K fee for each variation, I'm dubious that UEC would have two different firmware versions for PVR functionality of the same box.

This has been quoted to me previously by UEC as the reason for the delay with the PVR rollout, as UEC wanted to ensure everything was right, so the 'software' only had to be tested and approved by Optus, once.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (06-12-11)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

That suggests that the info sent to toyboy11 from a WA retailer is false and misleading.

What is interesting though, is UEC's explanation about the software (firmware) that is still being subjected to an approval process.... surely this is the identical software which is being used in the identical 4121 boxes being supplied with the PVR remote' package'?

Given it's a $20K fee for each variation, I'm dubious that UEC would have two different firmware versions for PVR functionality of the same box.

This has been quoted to me previously by UEC as the reason for the delay with the PVR rollout, as UEC wanted to ensure everything was right, so the 'software' only had to be tested and approved by Optus, once.
    Maybe its approval to send the OTA .......(I don't know)

another unsubstantiated rumor is that they don't want any problems with an OTA roll-out in the Christmas break, (when people take holidays & most places are running on skeleton staff.....between December to February)

& Have their Call centers handling (possibly.... maybe) mass inquiries
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

mtv (06-12-11)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

One reason for delay of approval for the OTA upgrade is; bureaucrats = people that complicate & delay things because they can.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (06-12-11),toyboy11 (06-12-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

Maybe its approval to send the OTA .......(I don't know)

another unsubstantiated rumor is that they don't want any problems with an OTA roll-out in the Christmas break, (when people take holidays & most places are running on skeleton staff.....between December to February)

& Have their Call centers handling (possibly.... maybe) mass inquiries
    You may be right about the OTA upgrade being the 'approval' delay mentioned, as there would be red tape with Optus to have OTA upgrades sent.

On the other hand, there would also be no reason to prevent UEC from making the software/firmware available to download off their website, as they have always done.. and just provide the remotes.

There have been no problems with previous VAST OTA updates, so there is really no reason to think there would be one this time.

OSIRUS (06-12-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    One reason for delay of approval for the OTA upgrade is; bureaucrats = people that complicate & delay things because they can.
    Plus monetary greed and control freaks!

Administrator
    Thanks

UEC assures me, that they fully intend to release the PVR Upgrade kit & OTA download for the Vast DSD4121 STB

He Said, The Altech UEC Lane Cove West Service Centre, is offering to pre-activate units with the PVR upgrade Kit + New PVR Remote....

Pricing & details can be arranged by Telephoning, The Altech UEC Lane Cove West Service Centre NSW
    I suspect you may have spoken with the same person I contacted

The reply I received basically states the same thing:

UEC still fully intends to release the PVR Upgrade kit and OTA download for the DSD4121.

The software has been submitted for testing. At this stage we don't have a definite date on when this testing might be completed, but once it has passed we will be able to release an OTA download.

As an interim measure for those who can't wait any longer, we are offering to pre-activate units (PVR upgrade + new remote) at our Lane Cove West service centre. These units can either be purchased new, or customers can arrange to send their existing units to us. Pricing and details can be arranged telephonically.

Although it's still happening sooooon.... it is at least still happening.

toyboy11, you may wish to re-consider the reliability of information from your WA retailer source.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Croady (09-12-11),OSIRUS (06-12-11),Tiny (07-12-11)

Banned
    Thanks

Well thanks OSIRUS for your efforts but, What's this approval business supposed to mean
    As for the PVR software it's already working isn't it
    And we all know that the PVR boxes are already available, to me they are playing silly buggers!

• The Following User Says Thank You to toyboy11 For This Useful Post:

lurk_relurking (10-12-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    Well thanks OSIRUS for your efforts but, What's this approval business supposed to mean
    As for the PVR software it's already working isn't it
    And we all know that the PVR boxes are already available, to me they are playing silly buggers!
    Given UEC are offering to perform the upgrades at their (Sydney) service centre, confirms the software is available and it works, which further supports the approval is just for the OTA transmission of the upgrade, which will be an Optus approval delay (and fee charged to UEC by Optus).

As you can see, UEC can and will provide the upgrade NOW. it's just the OTA upgrade that's still delayed, and it's probably beyond UEC's control.

This is the best news we've had about the PVR upgrade to date.
    Last edited by mtv; 06-12-11 at 10:45 PM. Reason: added info

OSIRUS (06-12-11)

Banned
    Thanks

MTV, I'll do that and maybe you could check it out with him as well @ accessantennas( satellitetvwa@yahoo.com)
    Last edited by toyboy11; 06-12-11 at 10:36 PM.

• Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast