Thread: Camera from OS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 850 Posts

Default Camera from OS

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from Chinavasion. Mostly in car GPS, DVD Players and like products.
    I've always been very happy with the quality / service and support provided by the company, however I'm now thinking of buying a couple of but unfortunately I know nothing about cameras or camera quality.
    I wonder if one of our experts here could give me a brief synopsis

This camera will be placed externally on a small factory at a height of about 15 feet and will be pointed at a front entry door. The door would be no more than 30 feet from the camera.
    Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Seymour Butts For This Useful Post:

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks

Wireless cameras are prone to pick up a lot of interference and you would not be happy with the result. Even those used as reversing cameras on cars have problems and they are only about 8 feet from the receive unit. Better to go hardwired.
    The Eagle Flies High!

• The Following User Says Thank You to eaglem For This Useful Post:

Seymour Butts (03-12-11)

Thanks

It appears to be WiFi so the transmission method doesnt bother me so much. No more suceptible to RFI than any other WiFI device. The main concern is that the small low res CMOS sensor with slow lens is not condusive to decent image quality in all but the most perfect of lighting conditions. IE: An evenly lit white room. You'll find during the day in full sun it'll be somewhat acceptable but anything in the shade in the same scene is going to look like a dark grey muddy smudge. Don't expect to see a thing at night. As for the PT drive, I would be expecting any soft of longevity from it.
    Last edited by Drift; 03-12-11 at 01:25 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

Seymour Butts (03-12-11)

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys, it is appreciated, I was only considering WIFI because of ease of installation but the building lends itself to a hard wired install also.
    We don't want to spend a lot of money and was hoping to get away with under $1000.00 for one camera plus a DVR of some description. We already have 2 cameras hard wired inside the building but they at present are not recorded from.

What has bought this about is we were broken into last week, we have already replaced chains and padlocks at the front gate to Bolt cutter proof types (In fact the lock smith we went through demonstrated the strength with a hand held battery powered angle grinder - it hardly marked the chain nor the padlock)
    We are also well alarmed and nothing was taken during the break in, we assume they were just joy riders because after our front door was smashed our alarm activated and appears to have driven them next door where they stole a Ute.

Anyway long story short, has anyone got any suggestions for a cheapish but not rock bottom camera and DVR that we could add to our existing setup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour Butts View Post
    We are also well alarmed and nothing was taken during the break in, we assume they were just joy riders because after our front door was smashed our alarm activated and appears to have driven them next door where they stole a Ute.
    Probably the other way around, your neighbours ute stolen first, then they decide to try to get some more gear (as they can carry it now), your alarm trips, they take off in the stolen ute.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bet2win For This Useful Post:

Seymour Butts (04-12-11)

Thanks

Yes, in retrospect you are probably right.
    We have since found out that the next door place is NOT alarmed (he doesn't see the point - even bitched yesterday about going halves in the padlock and chain for the front gates) and his number plates for the ute were stolen off the ute 3 nights earlier when he left the front gates open.