Thread: BigPond Cable and VOIP

Thanks

Smile BigPond Cable and VOIP

Just wondering if anyone can help here through having similar past experience.

Had Westnet ADSL2 with home phone (not VOIP) until recently, using Billion 7404vnpx and ethernet/wireless connections. After suffering (3 months) of huge dropouts daily - like up to 80 per day, and having 4 techs visit home (including Telstra dude), I was advised they could do nothing to prevent dropouts as it was outside line problem, between home and exchange some 3.8 kms away. not fixable as it would cost too much.

Seeing as I had Farktel cable running, I decided to go that way with Telstra cable internet and it has been (touch wood) very stable since (speed - that is another story). Got rid of home phone same time as ADSL as we use mobiles.

Still had a post paid mobile internet with Exetel (through warbro here) at $5 per month plus usage, so checked and found out this could be used for VOIP. Got number and thought I was the guru until setup.

Anyway, have been trying to get VOIP going with Bogpond cable and Billion 7404 vnpx with no success. Have read forums ie Billion. Bogpond, Whirlpool, Exetel, Austech etc but seems (I may just be stupid) there is no specific setup info with Billion model + with Exetel VOIP and Bpond cable.

Just wondering if anyone here has a similar setup running at present, if so a dummies guide (or link) to setup would be super helpfull.

Cheers and thanks anyway,

jamesv

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Same set up, my VOIP provider was mynetfone, apply for an account, ring service and they will talk you thru, yep you will have to pay, BUT found it cheaper overall to have a bundle with Telstra, ie broadband and all calls + overseas (to a point) incl my fax line, and more reliable
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

jamesv (09-12-11)

Thanks

I wander if helstra is not blocking voip trafic?

EDIT: I'm with Amnet, have 2 Sipura units, different payg providers and all is rocking
    Last edited by mborkp; 10-12-11 at 08:43 PM. Reason: more info
    "Politics is a bit like religion, everyone expects his/her "salvation" for their own private problems"
    "When you argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mborkp View Post
    I wander if helstra is not blocking voip trafic?

they don't at a network level although some modems they supply have port 5060 blocked

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jok11n For This Useful Post:

mborkp (10-12-11),Phoenixcomms.com.au (24-01-12)

Thanks

Thanks for the info mborkp n jok11n, will keep trying but it might be easier just to get fixed line back on, specially as it will be used for home office purposes in the New Year.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Should have mentioned there was an Australian supplement issued with my router for set up of voip in Australia, with a bit of trouble could try and locate it!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    they don't at a network level although some modems they supply have port 5060 blocked
    I read somewhere they use to block 5060, now the bp badged wireless gateway from netgear can not cope with the a streamed session - it basicly craps out, I'm not sure if the moto (30mb service) or cisco (100mb service) modem has the same issue.

To get around this I have enabled bridging on the netgear box and run it into a decent router and not had issues with bp cable or mynetfone for more then 12 months.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satguy View Post
    I read somewhere they use to block 5060, now the bp badged wireless gateway from netgear can not cope with the a streamed session - it basicly craps out, I'm not sure if the moto (30mb service) or cisco (100mb service) modem has the same issue.

To get around this I have enabled bridging on the netgear box and run it into a decent router and not had issues with bp cable or mynetfone for more then 12 months.
    cheers satguy, may be I should give exetel the flick. still not really tried to get it sorted, not trying to hard yet, crunch will be when I work from home...