Thread: VAST & cardsharing

Thanks

Default VAST & cardsharing

1st of all modartors i apologies if this thread breachs dicussion ruels of this forum.

a few things have been running through my mind.

1. is VAST card sharing even possible?
    2. how does it sit legally. i know alot of people discuss sharing paid services between box's in thier own home or to remote locations. which i supose is illegal since your suposed to pay for the additional box prviledge. however with VAST in essance your paying for the hardware and software to access free to air TV, my understanding of the reasons for the complex protections put inplace for VAST was to ensure FTA providers could ensure that the audiance could not access other zones FTA services thus making sure (forcing) the viewer to see only the advertisments particularly targeted at thier zone. since the service in essance a "free" service would sharing of card constitue "theft"? or even be ilegal?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

No, it's not possible (not at this time anyway).

Because of the tighter than tight encryption, greater than any pay tv system.... you can't even use the card in anything other than the box it's 'married' to.

Due to the ability of cardsharing to operate over a WAN.... it would be reasonable to assume it would be illegal to do it, even if it was possible, as you would be considered to be re-transmitting content without authorisation.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (14-12-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmacka View Post
    1st of all modartors i apologies if this thread breachs dicussion ruels of this forum.
    No , thats no problem. There is no problem with discussing anything , discussion doesnt mean anyone is doing anything illegal.

Your spelling on the other hand, should be illegal

Due to the ability of cardsharing to operate over a WAN.... it would be reasonable to assume it would be illegal to do it, even if it was possible, as you would be considered to be re-transmitting content without authorisation.
    Thats it exactly. Reading a few threads lately , it seems this point is confusing many people particuarly in regards to streaming content. Streaming is no different to card sharing in this regard......if you were card sharing Foxtel and charging people to access it, it would be illegal. If you were streaming Foxtel to people and charging them to access it, it would also be illegal. Even if you were doing it for free, its still illegal because as you mentioned you do not have authorisation.

One thing you need to consider Madmacka is that even though VAST has FTA channels on it, it is NOT a FTA service. If a service has encryption, it is not a FTA service regardless of what is on it. As MTV mentioned, VAST has very tight encryption designed so that all we can do is watch the service on their stupid receiver.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

AJM (27-01-12),OSIRUS (14-12-11),Tiny (14-12-11)