Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung hdmi bug w/VAST DSD4121

Thanks

Default Samsung hdmi bug w/VAST DSD4121

The family and I have settled into VAST using the DSD4121PVR. I was surprised to learn the DSD4121 has a UEC known bug where the receiver outputs over hdmi at a frequency which is incompatible with all hdmi enabled Samsung television sets.

The only work-around which I have found, is to put the television input to the hdmi source, then with the 4121 powered on do a full 'reset' using the button on the front of the receiver. This reset takes exactly 1:33 (93 seconds) to reboot, scan and display pics.

Do other work-arounds exist? Would 4121-outputing to an hdmi receiver which then outputs to the Samsung TV resolve? Any other ideas or suggestions?

I only learned of this bug at dish/receiver installation where UEC failed to authorise my PVR remote. It meant I had to ring UEC support (who resolved the remote issue) where I further enquired to, "Needing to reset to get pics every time I use the receiver." With no hesitation, the support rep asked, "Do you have a Samsung TV?" etc. Would have been handy if UEC includes installation instruction ala READ FIRST with SAMSUNG TV OWNERS NOTE or similar.

The rep did mention they, "may" release a firmware update in Jan. of next year addressing the issue. He then said, or if not January some time next year. And then said, "We may never release a fix because this is Samsung's problem with all of their TV's, not a problem with our receiver."

Any tips appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

I remember a while back that another member had a similar problem & it was rectified by updating the firmware on the TV.

Did UEC support get you to check &/or change the screen resolution settings for the TV & UEC decoder?
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by th37sk View Post
    The family and I have settled into VAST using the DSD4121PVR. I was surprised to learn the DSD4121 has a UEC known bug where the receiver outputs over hdmi at a frequency which is incompatible with all hdmi enabled Samsung television sets.

The only work-around which I have found, is to put the television input to the hdmi source, then with the 4121 powered on do a full 'reset' using the button on the front of the receiver. This reset takes exactly 1:33 (93 seconds) to reboot, scan and display pics.

Do other work-arounds exist? Would 4121-outputing to an hdmi receiver which then outputs to the Samsung TV resolve? Any other ideas or suggestions?

I only learned of this bug at dish/receiver installation where UEC failed to authorise my PVR remote. It meant I had to ring UEC support (who resolved the remote issue) where I further enquired to, "Needing to reset to get pics every time I use the receiver." With no hesitation, the support rep asked, "Do you have a Samsung TV?" etc. Would have been handy if UEC includes installation instruction ala READ FIRST with SAMSUNG TV OWNERS NOTE or similar.

The rep did mention they, "may" release a firmware update in Jan. of next year addressing the issue. He then said, or if not January some time next year. And then said, "We may never release a fix because this is Samsung's problem with all of their TV's, not a problem with our receiver."

Any tips appreciated.
    Thats similar but not identical to a problem that I have been experiencing. My Samsung 51" series 5 plasma accepts a hdmi directly from the 4121 no probs although it appears to operate a little better with the resolution set to 720p. My problems occur when I run it through my Pioneer AV receiver, where it takes anything between 20 and 40 seconds after the input is slected to bring up the picture. I have put this down to perhaps the 4121 is programed to output hdmi version 1.3 instead of the 1.4 which the reciever and TV are set to.

Also the AV amp refuses to upscale hdmi from the 4121 - again I have put this down to the 1.3 v going through the 1.4v amp. I will certainly wait for any firmware updates and see if this solves the problem.

Thanks

Have you checked with Samsung for a firmware update?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I remember a while back that another member had a similar problem & it was rectified by updating the firmware on the TV.

Did UEC support get you to check &/or change the screen resolution settings for the TV & UEC decoder?
    I've checked the TV and unfortunately, I'm running the newest and only firmware available via the AUS Samsung support website.

UEC did not offer any resolution suggestions or otherwise, simply stated it's a Samsung issue, they are aware of it and they may or may not do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pc9 View Post
    Thats similar but not identical to a problem that I have been experiencing. My Samsung 51" series 5 plasma accepts a hdmi directly from the 4121 no probs although it appears to operate a little better with the resolution set to 720p. My problems occur when I run it through my Pioneer AV receiver, where it takes anything between 20 and 40 seconds after the input is slected to bring up the picture. I have put this down to perhaps the 4121 is programed to output hdmi version 1.3 instead of the 1.4 which the reciever and TV are set to.

Also the AV amp refuses to upscale hdmi from the 4121 - again I have put this down to the 1.3 v going through the 1.4v amp. I will certainly wait for any firmware updates and see if this solves the problem.
    I do have my resolution set to 720p, but doesn't seem to make a difference. The circumstance of when and how the 4121 works is certainly odd which prompted my thread. For example, if I have my media player on and at playback (over hdmi1) with the 4121 also on and displaying pics at hdmi2, I can generally swap between the two without losing pics on return to the 4121. If I were to power down the media player on hdmi1 where the TV goes to a black screen, then back to hdmi2, I won't have pics and will need to force a restart. Also, if I'm away from hdmi2 for any length of time longer than say an hour (by guesstimate) it loses pics. And then occasionally, out of the blue, it will just work with pictures even coming from a TV off state which I find even odder.

The reset is currently something the family can live with, but it's quite a nuisance none the less.

Thanks

Is this HDMI problem also an issue with the new series 8 D8000 Samsung plasmas?
    I was about to purchase one of these in the next couple of weeks!
    Does anyone have one of these tvs with the Vast box connected via HDMI that can comment?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Samsung Televisions are just about top of the heap at the moment when it comes to televisions... (a popular choice with consumers)

& I would be looking at a Samsung .....if I was going to buy one....

Just wondering what Samsung Models have a problem with the Vast DSD 4121 or the PVR DSD 4121 STB (using HDMI)

especially, the vast DSD 4121 PVR STB, as it would have the latest fixes in its firmware, & the Standard DSD 4121 STB's are still running on the old Firmware

Please list your model of Samsung TV & what is happening, if you are having problems, with the Vast STB,

cheers
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 20-12-11 at 06:50 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    Please list your model of Samsung TV & what is happening, if you are having problems, with the Vast STB
    LCD : Series 4 32inch (LA32B450) LA32B450C4D | LA32B450C4DXXY firmware 1010.1
    UEC DSD4121PVR
    General Symptom: black screen. TV needs to be turned ON, hdmi source selected, and the 4121PVR rebooted using the button on front of receiver. The receiver & TV function as normal unless the TV is turned off, where a 4121 reboot is require to restore pics. Sporadically working when changing input sources on TV and returning to hdmi source for the 4121, guessing depending on alternate source (Wii, media center, etc.) and time away from the 4121.

Hope helps

• The Following User Says Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (20-12-11)

Thanks

Hey fellas, I'm incredibly pleased to report I've resolved the issue by replacing the ftatv.com.au provided HDMI cable () with, what I assume to be, a .

It's frustrating when the solution is right under your nose - a simple swap over of what is essentially a throw away cable. I'm surprised (at myself) for not trying this at installation. I guess you just assume the cable provided is "factory-ready" or equipment ready, that sort of thing.

Again, I did have a real conversation with a UEC rep who, to reiterate, acknowledged their knowing of a "bug" (to use his term) where Samsung sets are incompatible with the UEC4121 over HDMI. This begs the following questions (as means to help others/ the community/ possibly UEC resolve this issue):

1.) Is the bug really as simple as a poor cable? Please, others with this fault try an alternate cable and report back. If possible, please provide the TV make/model and cable(s) before, and tested.

2.) Is UEC providing this poor cable in tandem with the 4121, or is the cable an add-on provided by ftatv and possibly other UEC4121 distributors?

I mentioned in a previous post the box working intermittently, or it being flaky where I've put it through some fairly extensive testing (new cable) trying to fault it. Simply put, it is working under everything I can throw at it coming from any state, with or without the external hdd (PVR) on, any input selection on the TV, any alternate source, back and forth, TV off to on, resets on the 4121 (not required as per OT, trying to get it to resume fault), even passes the wifey factor who has absolutely no idea what is going on - finally, she just turns on and, "it just works."

As final mention, I received excellent service from ftatv. This is not a dig at their package or otherwise. Highly recommended outfit.

Best of luck
    th37sk

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (23-01-12),LeroyPatrol (22-01-12),OSIRUS (23-01-12),Tiny (22-01-12)

Thanks

Damn. Guys, I'm so sorry but even with the new HDMI cable the box has reverted back to faulting, requiring a reboot to get pics. I had a few good days there of functionality (including a few days of testing before I posted).

I've made no changes to my setup; haven't had a power spike or outage.

I'll keep trying various scenarios. I've ordered a HDMI-ready Yamaha Media Controller/Amplifier which I'm hoping will correctly process the signal. I'll also try an inline signal amplifier, though I don't think low signal has anything to do with it.

Interested to hear if others have tried alternate cables to temporary functionality or otherwise. Apologies to anyone who raced out and purchased the cable I linked to.

This is officially starting to shit me.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Mate, you tried and advised both of the success and failure of your solution so I dont see any sort of apology is needed.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

th37sk (27-01-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks

All feedback is good....

it may start a new direction, that leads to the answer...

Cheers

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

th37sk (27-01-12)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

One later thought occured and thats the 'quality' of the cables tried.
    I am NOT suggesting the origonal one from FTA wasnt any good but it was 'cheap' going on the deal but by the opposite token, the one th37sk replaced it with didnt work any better.
    With one HDMI to mini HDMI cable I got as a 'Freebie' with a digital Video camera (RRP of $9) which I havent tried yet, all the others I have bought were under $5 each and so far have worked for me.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

There seem to be a variety of types of HDMI cables available,

The last time I bought one, I think I had to choose between one that also included ethernet though the HDMI Cable as well......?

& I can understand that the technology being used by vast may not have been seen by the TV manufactures or the HDMI manufactures yet either....

insisting on the New Technology could be the problem ?

Thanks

I'm now using a Yamaha YMC-500 Media Controller to process the hdmi signal from the UEC-4121 to my Samsung TV. Review of the YMC-500 .
    (rear image):

I am able to get the unit to correctly and consistently display pics from the UEC-4121, but only by putting the controller into, "HDMI Standby Through" in "Option" specific to "HDMI 1" (the hdmi port utilised by the UEC-4121). Additionally, for stability, I need to set the YMC-500 to boot to hdmi1 first, omitting or skipping all other inputs including the YMC-500 default start screen (or main menu). Confusing? Probably. Ridiculous? Yes. But at the end of day, the family is now able to simply use the UEC-4121. I have not needed to force a UEC-4121 reset in a good two weeks, and that makes us happy

Now, it's interesting to note my installation path: the YMC-500 fails to display pics from the UEC4121 using default YMC-500 settings. With the 4121 installed, the YMC-500 is thrown "off-line" for lack of a better term. The YMC-500 boots (screen displays NeoHD now loading...) to a 3 second pause to black screen, close in behaviour to using the 4121 with just our Samsung TV. The YMC-500 becomes unresponsive, does not display a (normal) main menu, and control or back buttons using both remote and front of unit are unresponsive. To get the YMC-500 to correct itself (and boot to main menu) it needs powering down with complete removal of hdmi1 UEC-4121 input (all other components can remain connected) to YMC-500 power on. The unit then correctly boots to main menu with normal function, but of course the 4121 is not connected!

In trying to make the 4121 play, I next booted the YMC-500 (4121 not connected) to the YMC-500 main menu. With the 4121 in standby mode (red light displayed on front of 4121) I hot-plugged the hdmi1 back into the YMC-500. Power on 4121. Within a few seconds the YMC-500 detected signal at hdmi1. Navigating the YMC-500 to hdmi1 (Watch TV) displayed no pics - but, I was able to force a RESET via front of 4121 to where the unit rebooted, scanned and displayed pics, again, close in behaviour to using the 4121 with just our Samsung TV.

Changing inputs on the YMC-500, and coming back to hdmi1/SatTV loses 4121 pics. Powering down the YMC-500 to reboot, throws the YMC-500 offline.

So I was able to replicate the hdmi bug with yet another component and now, I'd complicated things by introducing a media controller. Great.

Eventually I tested the YMC-500's "HDMI Standby Through" feature where you can nominate 1 hdmi port to pass the hdmi signal through the receiver to TV. When this is enabled and YMC-500 is powered off (standby) the signal is sent through the receiver to the TV and the following happens:

TV power on for 1-2 seconds (normal warm up time), the entire screen flashes PINK for 1 second, BLACK 1 second, PINK again 1 second, 4121 pics appear in GREEN for a split second to working as normal!

If I power on the YMC-500, the TV screen goes black, I see the YMC-500 boot screen (I've told it to skip main menu and go straight to hdmi1 input selection) screen flashes PINK for 1 second, BLACK 1 second, PINK again 1 second, 4121 pics appear in GREEN for a split second to working as normal!

So, with or without the media controller powered on, I have consistent 4121 pics. The benefit to the receiver on is, of course, 5.1 sound but with it off the kids are just as happy to watch TV with the sound from the TV only.

Observations:
    -hdmi is substandard on the UEC-4121. I wouldn't refer to it as a Sony hdmi bug or Samsung hdmi Bug or Media Controller hdmi bug - I would just maybe call a fresh thread, "VAST DSD4121 hdmi defective"
    -the PINK and GREEN flashing makes me think 'Handshake' I'm wondering is HDCP at play? We know how tightly wound this box is with marriage to card, encryption and so on. Any way to check if the UEC4121 is HDCP enabled? (and further, shouldn't my 3 year old Samsung TV be HDCP compliant?)
    -does the PINK, GREEN flashing signify something? Red flag to anyone out there?

Cheers
    th37sk

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

kevin1341 (16-02-12),OSIRUS (16-02-12)

Banned
    Thanks

Have you tried using an Optic fiber Cable from your Yamaha (Number 2 on the back) to your TV, that's if your TV has an input?
    Iv'e got a Toshiba TV and 2 boxes connected to the Yamaha with HDMI cables from ports 1 & 2 and 1 box is a Strong 4910 and the other is a UEC 4121. and both work fine using the Optic Cable

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    Have you tried using an Optic fiber Cable from your Yamaha (Number 2 on the back) to your TV, that's if your TV has an input?
    Iv'e got a Toshiba TV and 2 boxes connected to the Yamaha with HDMI cables from ports 1 & 2 and 1 box is a Strong 4910 and the other is a UEC 4121. and both work fine using the Optic Cable

The optic is only for audio.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by th37sk View Post
    I'm now using a Yamaha YMC-500 Media Controller to process the hdmi signal from the UEC-4121 to my Samsung TV. Review of the YMC-500 .
    (rear image):

I am able to get the unit to correctly and consistently display pics from the UEC-4121, but only by putting the controller into, "HDMI Standby Through" in "Option" specific to "HDMI 1" (the hdmi port utilised by the UEC-4121). Additionally, for stability, I need to set the YMC-500 to boot to hdmi1 first, omitting or skipping all other inputs including the YMC-500 default start screen (or main menu). Confusing? Probably. Ridiculous? Yes. But at the end of day, the family is now able to simply use the UEC-4121. I have not needed to force a UEC-4121 reset in a good two weeks, and that makes us happy

Now, it's interesting to note my installation path: the YMC-500 fails to display pics from the UEC4121 using default YMC-500 settings. With the 4121 installed, the YMC-500 is thrown "off-line" for lack of a better term. The YMC-500 boots (screen displays NeoHD now loading...) to a 3 second pause to black screen, close in behaviour to using the 4121 with just our Samsung TV. The YMC-500 becomes unresponsive, does not display a (normal) main menu, and control or back buttons using both remote and front of unit are unresponsive. To get the YMC-500 to correct itself (and boot to main menu) it needs powering down with complete removal of hdmi1 UEC-4121 input (all other components can remain connected) to YMC-500 power on. The unit then correctly boots to main menu with normal function, but of course the 4121 is not connected!

In trying to make the 4121 play, I next booted the YMC-500 (4121 not connected) to the YMC-500 main menu. With the 4121 in standby mode (red light displayed on front of 4121) I hot-plugged the hdmi1 back into the YMC-500. Power on 4121. Within a few seconds the YMC-500 detected signal at hdmi1. Navigating the YMC-500 to hdmi1 (Watch TV) displayed no pics - but, I was able to force a RESET via front of 4121 to where the unit rebooted, scanned and displayed pics, again, close in behaviour to using the 4121 with just our Samsung TV.

Changing inputs on the YMC-500, and coming back to hdmi1/SatTV loses 4121 pics. Powering down the YMC-500 to reboot, throws the YMC-500 offline.

So I was able to replicate the hdmi bug with yet another component and now, I'd complicated things by introducing a media controller. Great.

Eventually I tested the YMC-500's "HDMI Standby Through" feature where you can nominate 1 hdmi port to pass the hdmi signal through the receiver to TV. When this is enabled and YMC-500 is powered off (standby) the signal is sent through the receiver to the TV and the following happens:

TV power on for 1-2 seconds (normal warm up time), the entire screen flashes PINK for 1 second, BLACK 1 second, PINK again 1 second, 4121 pics appear in GREEN for a split second to working as normal!

If I power on the YMC-500, the TV screen goes black, I see the YMC-500 boot screen (I've told it to skip main menu and go straight to hdmi1 input selection) screen flashes PINK for 1 second, BLACK 1 second, PINK again 1 second, 4121 pics appear in GREEN for a split second to working as normal!

So, with or without the media controller powered on, I have consistent 4121 pics. The benefit to the receiver on is, of course, 5.1 sound but with it off the kids are just as happy to watch TV with the sound from the TV only.

Observations:
    -hdmi is substandard on the UEC-4121. I wouldn't refer to it as a Sony hdmi bug or Samsung hdmi Bug or Media Controller hdmi bug - I would just maybe call a fresh thread, "VAST DSD4121 hdmi defective"
    -the PINK and GREEN flashing makes me think 'Handshake' I'm wondering is HDCP at play? We know how tightly wound this box is with marriage to card, encryption and so on. Any way to check if the UEC4121 is HDCP enabled? (and further, shouldn't my 3 year old Samsung TV be HDCP compliant?)
    -does the PINK, GREEN flashing signify something? Red flag to anyone out there?

Cheers
    th37sk
    Thanks for posting this, not looking good for UEC. I should get my arse into gear and log a fault with UEC.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newy1234 For This Useful Post:

domwild (18-02-12),th37sk (16-02-12)

Thanks

Hi All, You can add the Panasonic TH-L37G10A 37" LED TV to the list of equipment that the sh!t
    UEC4121 will not work properly with when connected to HDMI.
    The story is nearly the same as posts above but I can have it work ok with the resolution set to 720p
    Last year I had another one of these sh!t boxes and had no problem with connectivity.
    This would tell me that the software not the hardware is the problem if the hardware has not been changed since last year.
    I sold the first box to a friend because I was looking at buying the great PVR version.
    Got the new one to watch the cricket on GEM. ( No more GEM on D1)
    Was going to buy a HDMI switch but I think I will be wasting my time with trying to switch this bloody thing.
    Ok that’s my rant !!!!!

Cheers
    Kevin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevin1341 View Post
    Hi All, You can add the Panasonic TH-L37G10A 37" LED TV to the list of equipment that the sh!t
    UEC4121 will not work properly with when connected to HDMI.
    The story is nearly the same as posts above but I can have it work ok with the resolution set to 720p
    Last year I had another one of these sh!t boxes and had no problem with connectivity.
    This would tell me that the software not the hardware is the problem if the hardware has not been changed since last year.
    I sold the first box to a friend because I was looking at buying the great PVR version.
    Got the new one to watch the cricket on GEM. ( No more GEM on D1)
    Was going to buy a HDMI switch but I think I will be wasting my time with trying to switch this bloody thing.
    Ok that’s my rant !!!!!

Cheers
    Kevin
    Kevin
    I can throw some more equipment into this mess. I have a UEC 4121 connected via a HDMI splitter to 1/ a samsung ps58 TV and 2/ a belkin av4 hdmi wireless tansmitter ( to a belkin AV4 wireless receiver which is in turn connected via a hdmi cable to a Epson TW6000 projector). The samsung is also connected via hdmi to the splitter.
    Now with this setup inplace i get perfect picture on the Samsung TV (despite what other people in this thread cant do) but no picture or should i say an intermittent picture on my projector. The intermittent problem on the projector makes it not watchable.
    To try and track the problem i connected a hdmi cable directly from the UEC to the projector and like the Samsung the pic is perfect.

To add to the mix i have a samsung blueray connected to the Belkin sender via Hdmi and the pics for this on the projector are again very good.

Then to cap it all off the Belkin has a remote control that will not work when the UEC is connected but will work ok when the UEC is turned off.

Any Guru who could solve my problems i am all ears

Thanks all
    John

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast