Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samsung hdmi bug w/VAST DSD4121

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    Have you tried using an Optic fiber Cable from your Yamaha (Number 2 on the back) to your TV, that's if your TV has an input?
    Iv'e got a Toshiba TV and 2 boxes connected to the Yamaha with HDMI cables from ports 1 & 2 and 1 box is a Strong 4910 and the other is a UEC 4121. and both work fine using the Optic Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by newy1234 View Post
    The optic is only for audio.
    Yep, newy is correct, optic is audio only. At one point, I had all but given up trying to use the UEC4121 with hdmi, and had purchased optical and YPbPr cable. Didn't need to install it as I eventually got hdmi to work using the YMC-500 hdmi pass-through feature.

Point is, happy to test YPbPr/TOSLINK (optic) with the UEC4121 if anyone thinks it deserves merit.
    Last edited by th37sk; 17-02-12 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozzguy88 View Post
    Kevin
    I can throw some more equipment into this mess. I have a UEC 4121 connected via a HDMI splitter to 1/ a samsung ps58 TV and 2/ a belkin av4 hdmi wireless tansmitter ( to a belkin AV4 wireless receiver which is in turn connected via a hdmi cable to a Epson TW6000 projector). The samsung is also connected via hdmi to the splitter.
    Now with this setup inplace i get perfect picture on the Samsung TV (despite what other people in this thread cant do) but no picture or should i say an intermittent picture on my projector.

Wikipedia is your friend :-)
    You cannot simply 'split' an HDCP-enabled HDMI signal to 2 different devices simultaneously. Unless it's an HDCP-capable splitter that can re-encrypt and authenticate each attached device separately. And HDCP probably won't work with any one-way HDMI transmitter/receiver combo, as the receiving device (projector) won't be able to respond to any authentication requests from the box.
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 17-02-12 at 06:33 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buffalo Bill For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (17-02-12),ozzguy88 (17-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Wikipedia is your friend :-)
    You cannot simply 'split' an HDCP-enabled HDMI signal to 2 different devices simultaneously. Unless it's an HDCP-capable splitter that can re-encrypt and authenticate each attached device separately. And HDCP probably won't work with any one-way HDMI transmitter/receiver combo, as the receiving device (projector) won't be able to respond to any authentication requests from the box.
    This is the splitter i am using -:

- is says it "Instals in seconds, no need for setting, up to 1080P and 1.3b/v1.4 and HDCP compliant. "

Is this what you mean by HDCP capable?

Another i am considering is -:.
    Would you consider this one HDCP capable?

Any help much appreciated

John

• The Following User Says Thank You to ozzguy88 For This Useful Post:

kevin1341 (01-03-12)

Thanks

Both do say HDCP-compliant. Might be worth reading the manuals in case there's some "fine print" regarding HDCP.

Have you tried using an HDMI cable to go directly between your splitter and projector, without using the wireless HDMI transmitter?
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 18-02-12 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks

have just tried hdmi thru splitter direct to projector and all fine - that is tv pic good and projector pic good.

So this to me means the splitter is fine and accepts the hdmi split and the problem lies in the Belkin AV4.

Maybe ???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozzguy88 View Post
    have just tried hdmi thru splitter direct to projector and all fine - that is tv pic good and projector pic good.

So this to me means the splitter is fine and accepts the hdmi split and the problem lies in the Belkin AV4.

Maybe ???

That would seem to be the case. But maybe the chain of devices causes the issue, with each device having to authenticate the next and re-encrypt the HDMI signal.

To determine if the Belkin is at fault, do the opposite: Connect the UEC box directly to the Belkin, without using the splitter.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Buffalo Bill For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (19-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    That would seem to be the case. But maybe the chain of devices causes the issue, with each device having to authenticate the next and re-encrypt the HDMI signal.

To determine if the Belkin is at fault, do the opposite: Connect the UEC box directly to the Belkin, without using the splitter.
    Tried this and no work at all- just a blank screen and no response from remote.

So decided to go back to splitter and then found it will not work at all with any of my devices- so i am now just reverting to direct connections(that is no splitter and no wifi) and put up with cords running thru the living room.

This is easier than to trust modern technology such as splitters and wifi that simply do not do what the average consumer thinks they do when purchasing.

Thanks for your help anyways

John

Thanks

The OTA update did not resolve the DSD4121 hdmi bug with my Samsung LCD : Series 4 (See for model specifics).

After watching maybe an hour or two of TV, I'll soft-power off the 4121, power off the Samsung. I would expect to turn both back on and have pics - getting a black screen where only a reset on the front of unit, to reboot/rescan, will restore pic.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this is of no bother as I've resolved it by using a Yamaha Media Controller - the OTA update had no effect to the way the controller handles pics. It worked before and after the update going through the controller to process hdmi.

My recent testing with the Samsung was done on two separate occasions - earlier in the week and again over the weekend, running hdmi direct from 4121 to Samsung.

th37sk
    Last edited by th37sk; 21-05-12 at 03:04 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (21-05-12),Tiny (21-05-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well, I'm digging up an old thread hoping there has been advancement of UEC boxes being fixed.

I have an original UEC DSD4121 that is connected to a LG 42LN5710 tv via HDMI, that is losing signal for 1-5 seconds about every 30 seconds.
    So, the previous comments above are not restricted to just Samsung tv's.

Very painful to watch and the box has been threatened to be thrown out the door.

Does anyone know of a fix?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Further to above, I am running a cheapy HDMI cable, 20m in length I bought from MSY computers.

This cable has worked perfectly with a Humax VAST that I recently borrowed. No issues in about 2hrs of viewing.

UEC DSD4121 has about countless of issues in 2hrs, un-watchable.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    Further to above, I am running a cheapy HDMI cable, 20m in length I bought from MSY computers.

This cable has worked perfectly with a Humax VAST that I recently borrowed. No issues in about 2hrs of viewing.

UEC DSD4121 has about countless of issues in 2hrs, un-watchable.
    Are you saying that the picture freezes or pixelates at regular intervals. As I had this problem with my UEC 4639 a while back but not with my 4121.
    The 4121 did have this problem in it's early days with the original Firmware, however everybody had the problem & it was solved with an OTA update back in 2011.

The 4639 problem was solved by fine tweaking of the lnb skew to get the max picture quality with a sat meter. Previously I had used the box as the tuner & thought i had a good signal as the Fox box connected to the same dish via Spaun Multiswitch appeared to have no issues.
    Now both are happy with the fine tuning.

Some boxes, particularly VAST boxes, appear sensitive to Signal quality.

I wouldn't rule out the HDMI cable though, maybe worth changing to rule it out.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Xplorer (01-03-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Am I correct in thinking some found one HDMI cable worked perfectly well on box but was a problem on another?
    I had a minor problem with a HDMI connection yesterday when I had no picture from a Terrestrial STB to the TV but it was working the day or so before so I carefully just pushed it into the socket and while I didnt feel that it moved, the picture was restored and its working now.
    I must say 20 metres is one long cable though....................
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Xplorer (01-03-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

When the tv loses signal, it resembles the HDMI cable being disconnected from the TV (i.e. blank screen).

It may be the HDMI cable being a cheap one at that, but the Humax worked without any flaws.

I'll move the box into another room where I can use a short HDMI cable and see if there is any difference.

LNB: no chance of tweaking as it's two stories high.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12