Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAST Preapproval and then ?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default VAST Preapproval and then ?

Although I am not quite ready to install an STB yet I decided to fill in the Pre-Approval part of the Myswitch application.
    This was recommended by the DigitalReady operator but they said it could take up to 15 days to be processed but I basicaly received a reply in minutes from VAST confirming I am eligible to receive the VAST Commercial services.

I am curious to know what happens now as there is no reference number I can see to quote this approval back or is it simply confirming my location is now a VAST Commercial reception Area?
    I also asked the operator if there was a Time limit on the approval just in case but none was found.

Subject : VAST Decoder Registration
    From: vast.administration@mysattv.com.au( ...mysattv.com.au)
    To: ME @myemailaddressI supplied.com.au
    Date: Saturday, 17 December 2011 :2:52pm

Application for : ME

Thank you for your application to receive VAST satellite television services. We can confirm that you are eligible to receive the VAST commercial services.

The VAST services,including Commercial and National services, have been enabled on your decoder during the registration processing. If there was an error during this process our staff will review your registration within 48 hours of the next business day.

mySatTV
    VAST Administration
    T:1300 993 376 |F: 07 4726 2295
    E: vastadministration@mysattv.com.au
    W:hhtp://www.mysattv.com.au
    Obviously there is no decoder to authorise as I quoted the 4200000000 Smart Card number and no decoder number so I guess paragraph 2 is a standard reply to all applications. that cover both Pre Approval and STB activation in approved areas.
    Btw, I had the choice of selecting either the UEC or that Cam devise for activation.

Also I am wondering could I do a 'Pre-Approval' for others in the area who for varous reasons may not use or access the internet to check their eligibilty for VAST ??
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-12-11 at 03:46 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Now you have approval you can safely buy a box and apply for the VAST service with you smart card number and all systems should be go.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Although I am not quite ready to install an STB yet I decided to fill in the Pre-Approval part of the Myswitch application.
    This was recommended by the DigitalReady operator but they said it could take up to 15 days to be processed but I basicaly received a reply in minutes from VAST confirming I am eligible to receive the VAST Commercial services.

I am curious to know what happens now as there is no reference number I can see to quote this approval back or is it simply confirming my location is now a VAST Commercial reception Area?
    I also asked the operator if there was a Time limit on the approval just in case but none was found.

Subject : VAST Decoder Registration
    From: vast.administration@mysattv.com.au( ...mysattv.com.au)
    To: ME @myemailaddressI supplied.com.au
    Date: Saturday, 17 December 2011 :2:52pm

Application for : ME

Thank you for your application to receive VAST satellite television services. We can confirm that you are eligible to receive the VAST commercial services.

The VAST services,including Commercial and National services, have been enabled on your decoder during the registration processing. If there was an error during this process our staff will review your registration within 48 hours of the next business day.

mySatTV
    VAST Administration
    T:1300 993 376 |F: 07 4726 2295
    E: vastadministration@mysattv.com.au
    W:hhtp://www.mysattv.com.au
    Obviously there is no decoder to authorise as I quoted the 4200000000 Smart Card number and no decoder number so I guess paragraph 2 is a standard reply to all applications. that cover both Pre Approval and STB activation in approved areas.
    Btw, I had the choice of selecting either the UEC or that Cam devise for activation.

Also I am wondering could I do a 'Pre-Approval' for others in the area who for varous reasons may not use or access the internet to check their eligibilty for VAST ??
    Not sure what your on about here, but if you decide to make applications for others i think that you would only be able to do that for 3 boxes and in your name. They will look at your email address and if you go overboard you may jeopardize your own application, your email address would be your problem.

As for your approval how long will they give until you to give them a card number?
    Last edited by toyboy11; 17-12-11 at 04:51 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

All the pre-approval process does is confirm your eligibility for the services requested. It's just a check to ensure you can get VAST, before you buy/install anything.

Now you just follow the standard registration process, once you've purchased your decoder.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (17-12-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

Toyboy, if you re-read my origonal post and MTV's reply you will see there is actualy NO permission given for a specific stb nor is there a 'Time Limit' on this 'pre-approval' as the areas concerned are never likely to have a terrestial service provided in the forseeable future.
    This application was to confirm my area is actualy in an approved Vast commercial reception area.
    I dont think there is any limit on how many STB's you can have but more than 3 to a household could raise questions but then why not?
    Over the years I have had as many as 6 TV's here at one time when all my family were home.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Sounds good Gordon, all green lights, go for it, or are you waiting for the SSS &/or HAS to kick in?

Very neighborly of you to offer to submit preregistration approval apps for your neighbors.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

Tiny, I got me letter on Friday and rang Centrelink so me names on the list and I am to expect a call from an installer anytime in (late?) January.
    To ensure you dont get any 'shonks' cold calling, I had to make up a 'Secret' ID word for the Installer to quote me when they call.

And Tiny, I am not really being 'neighborly' as most here are as thick as bricks and while they bemoan paying for Austar, the 'whinge tone' went a note higher when they found they had to buy a STB etc for VAST even though the first cost is the last.
    I did it partly for my own curiosity and for a good friend in another village 20 kms away.
    One local mid last year got Aurora on (Black Spot Authority) after being told VAST was about to be approved here in a few months and then changed to VAST when it did.
    Oh well, its his money.................

Premium Member

Thanks

Email received today re above.

Subject: VAST Decoder Registration
    To: ME of course at my email address.
    Date: Monday, 19 December 2011 9:59 AM.

Hi Gordon

Reference : (Blank)
    Name: Me again.
    Smart Card Number:
    Thank you for your application for VAST Satelitte Service.

We can confirm you are eligible to receive the VAST service.

Activation will occur once you provide us with a valid smart card number. This smartcard is located within your VAST Certified Decoder Set Top Box.

Kind Regards,
    VAST.

This email today answers my previous questions and shows the first reply was automated and the 2nd paragraph is a standard reply to all applicants.
    As you can see there is no time limit shown or other requirements other than filling in the Activation form whenever I get around to getting a STB for here.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

toyboy11 (19-12-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Email received today re above.

Subject: VAST Decoder Registration
    To: ME of course at my email address.
    Date: Monday, 19 December 2011 9:59 AM.

Hi Gordon

Reference : (Blank)
    Name: Me again.
    Smart Card Number:
    Thank you for your application for VAST Satelitte Service.

We can confirm you are eligible to receive the VAST service.

Activation will occur once you provide us with a valid smart card number. This smartcard is located within your VAST Certified Decoder Set Top Box.

Kind Regards,
    VAST.

This email today answers my previous questions and shows the first reply was automated and the 2nd paragraph is a standard reply to all applicants.
    As you can see there is no time limit shown or other requirements other than filling in the Activation form whenever I get around to getting a STB for here.

I received the same email a few months ago when I went through the same pre approval.

I have since applied (5 days ago) with a valid card number for my STB and did not get anything from them?

Premium Member

Thanks

newy1234, you have another post going re possible STB connection problems so at the moment you dont know if the STB has been activated or not but I am sure when a 'friend' did an activation back late January (Upgrade from Aurora) they received a confirmation email from VAST.
    The proof will be when you get that STB working to see if it is indeed activated or not.

Premium Member

Thanks

Checked with friend and he did get an email advising him that his STB was activated.
    He couldnt remember now how long it was after activation tho.
    I do remember the activation only took about 40 minutes from when he filled out the form.
    So apart from everything else, you may need to follow that up once you can be sure your 'connected' to C1/D3 and there is no programming other than channel 800 being seen..

Administrator
    Thanks

When you receive the replacement decoder, you'll need to register it and the smartcard, as that will also be replaced (as they are paired).

You will need to ensure you can receive the tuning/info channel before submitting your activation request, otherwise the decoder/card will miss the OTA activation command.

OSIRUS (19-12-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    When you receive the replacement decoder, you'll need to register it and the smartcard, as that will also be replaced (as they are paired).

You will need to ensure you can receive the tuning/info channel before submitting your activation request, otherwise the decoder/card will miss the OTA activation command.
    Ok copy that. I would have thought I should have received another confirmation email when I registered a valid card but maybe you do have to have the box plugged in a running. Not good if you have no internet access where it is being installed! I assume you would have to make a phone call to them.

Premium Member

Thanks

You dont have to have the internet connected at your install location, only a Valid Email address.
    I cant see any reason why you couldnt do an activation On Line at someones else home, a Library or Public Access 'coin in the slot' facility.
    And the email address doesnt even have to be yours, you could use anyones so long as they know about it.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newy1234 View Post
    Ok copy that. I would have thought I should have received another confirmation email when I registered a valid card but maybe you do have to have the box plugged in a running. Not good if you have no internet access where it is being installed! I assume you would have to make a phone call to them.
    You just need thebox turned on and ensuring it has signal (eg: you can see the info channel) when you send the registration request.

As mentioned, you could send the request from elswhere, you can (snail) mail the application and you can also ring, but the online registration is usually the quickest method.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (21-12-11),OSIRUS (21-12-11)

Thanks

Ok, be aware, you do not seem to receive any confirmation email that a valid smart card reg has been received by Vast when you do the reg over the internet!

Not sure if this have been covered before, but here is my experience.

I submitted a preapproval back in Oct 2011 and received a confirmation email.

I submitted a valid reg and new smart card number etc on the 14 Dec 2011. No email confirmation received, nothing at all.

I got me new STB etc up and running on the 28th Dec to find I only had channel 800.

I called digital ready and they said call Vast and gave me the number.

I called Vast and got a recorded announcement telling me to call back on a working week day (It was a working week day). I called digital ready again and they told me Vast will not be back to work until the 3rd Jan 2012.

I called Vast on the 3rd Jan and they told me my smart card was activated back on the 14th Dec 2011, the Vast person was helpfull and resent the activation while I was talking and we got the extra channels working all ok.

In the end, I assumed the activation would sit into the 'network' until it could see my smart card appear online and away it would go. Wrong on my part.

Also there seems to be not alert messages etc sent to your email for any part of the reg setup.
    Last edited by newy1234; 09-01-12 at 10:43 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

In the end, I assumed the activation would sit into the 'network' until it could see my smart card appear online and away it would go. Wrong on my part.
    You MUST have your decoder powered up and connected to a correctly-aligned dish, confirmbed by being able to see the info/tuning channel (800) on the screen BEFORE you request activation.

The activation signal is one way.. It cannot see your smartcard 'online'. VAST has no way of knowing if your smartcard is in the decoder and the decoder is correctly tuned, so it must be 'ready' to receive the activation code when you request it.

This process has been covered many times in this VAST forum and it's also clearly described in the VAST decoder installation instructions.

Bummer that you had to wait over the holidays to make contact with VAST to re-send the activation code.

Good that you finally got it sorted.

OSIRUS (10-01-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Being that his registration was valid, he probably could have had an activation hit sent from here himself.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

mtv (10-01-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Being that his registration was valid, he probably could have had an activation hit sent from here himself.
    Quite likely.

I've used this myself a few times and it works fine.

As I'm in a lightning-prone area, I disconnect everything when I'm away working and sometimes the VAST (and Aurora) cards miss an update during that time, so it's a quick and simple way to get them running again.

Premium Member

Thanks

Here's a question for you,
    What happens if you 'Move' house.
    2 scenarios,
    One is an authorised STB for ABC/SBS only and you 'MOVE' to a fully authorised area for the commercial channels, do you just reapply with the 'new address'?
    TWO, Sale of the STB, your moving house and not taking the STB with you, there doesnt appear anyway to Cancel your origonal activation so can you (or they) transfer activation to the new resident or do they need to?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast