Thread: GEM on VAST in Native HD

Thanks

Default GEM on VAST in Native HD

Was doin a bit of channel surfing tonight and notice that CSI on GEM is showing at a reasonable bit rate; native HD I guess. I hope this is a sign of better things to come, as apart from the simulcast Today Show in the mornings, proper HD has been missing from GEM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I think 'proper' HD is missing in many situations but as time progresses and programs are made in HD it will gradualy improve.
    Being old enough to remember the beginning of TV here I have noticed how the 'image' of some early films was to say the least very grainy and poor but as they changed from film to tape to digital, used different lighting techniques or remastered/enhanced or digitised recorded programs, the 'image' quality has changed tremendously.
    Even now you buy a Bluray player that 'Enhances' a DVD which in its beginnings was considered the ultimate in vidoe/audio quality but that has been surpassed by Bluray.
    But even when you transfer a recent made movie to Bluray format, to me it doesnt have that 'sharp' image as a movie specificaly made for Bluray.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    But even when you transfer a recent made movie to Bluray format, to me it doesnt have that 'sharp' image as a movie specificaly made for Bluray.
    The end result depends almost entirely on the original source media.

You can't expect up-converted SD media to look as good as native full HD.

What you view it on can also have a considerable variation of PQ.

It's a pity most network 'HD' channels don't screen the latest movies which many have been filmed/recorded for full HD.

A Blu-Ray disc can provide higher quality compared to the same program shown on TV due to the low bit rates of all Australian 'HD' channels.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The end result depends almost entirely on the original source media.

You can't expect up-converted SD media to look as good as native full HD.

What you view it on can also have a considerable variation of PQ.

It's a pity most network 'HD' channels don't screen the latest movies which many have been filmed/recorded for full HD.

A Blu-Ray disc can provide higher quality compared to the same program shown on TV due to the low bit rates of all Australian 'HD' channels.
    Cricket tonight is on GEM because of the time delay from WA. Looks like a native HD picture - not bad.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pc9 View Post
    Cricket tonight is on GEM because of the time delay from WA. Looks like a native HD picture - not bad.
    GEM is HD 1080i... so a bonus having cricket on it.

Thanks

Thank god for the cricket feed on D1 because not all of use can get Gem yet.

Cheers
    Kevin

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pc9 View Post
    Was doin a bit of channel surfing tonight and notice that CSI on GEM is showing at a reasonable bit rate; native HD I guess. I hope this is a sign of better things to come, as apart from the simulcast Today Show in the mornings, proper HD has been missing from GEM.
    PC9, are you viewing direct from a UEC 4121 VAST box? What connection are you using between the box and the screen? If you are using the HDMI connection to a full HD compatible screen then are you saying that GEM IS NOT ALWAYS IN NATIVE HD?
    Last edited by beerman; 09-02-12 at 11:49 AM.
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Beerman, I think pc9 means that although GEM is a HD signal, the general run of programming isnt HD material but even I grudgingly have to admit the few minutes I saw of the Cricket the other night really did look great.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    PC9, are you viewing direct from a UEC 4121 VAST box? What connection are you using between the box and the screen? If you are using the HDMI connection to a full HD compatible screen then are you saying that GEM IS NOT ALWAYS IN NATIVE HD?
    Slightly careless wording on my part Beerman. Aware that GEM comes out at 1080i all the time, but as Gordon has pointed out below, much of the source material is a lower resolution. Also, previously, GEM (both in the regions and on VAST) lowered its bitrate immediately after the simulcast of the Today show in the mornings, so I was merely making the comment that its pleasing to see some improvement.

GEM still has a long way to go.....showing repeats of get smart and Mash at prime time is not my idea of how hd TV in Australia should be run.

In response to your question..........are you viewing direct from a UEC 4121?.........the answer is...........yes unfortunately.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

At least you're not watching GEM through component!! *vomits all over couch*

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.