Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do i need a licence

Thanks

Default do i need a licence

Hello all,
    just wondering, do i need a licence to install those ebay dvr kits, considering all the cables are pre made, its really just plug and play, do i still require a licence for this?

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

For personal use, no. For commercial gain, yes.

Thanks

do you have info of the licence required? i only want to install the plug and play kits, so nothing overly complicated.

Thanks

Can I offer you some advice? Don't. Learn how to terminate an RG59 and have a look at brand name DVRs (with local support) then compare the IQ results.

Thanks

i know how to terminate rg59 and 6 and have all the tools, a few people have asked me to install the ebay dvr kits, as i have done mine and its all working, what kind of licence is required to install these?

Thanks

Have you compared the image quality results with brand name DVRs? Have you compared the premade cables with self terminated? I'm guessing not.

As for licence, it depends on what state you're in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by impure View Post
    ia few people have asked me to install the ebay dvr kits
    From my experience, the user interface and ease of use would be the 1 of the biggest selling points on a good brand name dvr.

Warranty and local uspport on the brand name.

Thanks

ok cool. but what licence is required to install these?

Thanks

Thanks Drift, im in melbourne, any help is appreciated

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

ok cool. but what licence is required to install these?
    Individual Registration - Security equipment installer

You may also require an ACMA Cabling Licence - Registered cabler

Thanks

i made some enquiries today, as its not going back to a monitoring station and is confined to the network, ie just plugging into the persons router with pre made cables, they said the setup may be exempt, different if it were going back to a monitoring station, provided i dont need to run a phone line or data point and can use exisiting points it may be exempt, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

The ACMA cabling rules are clear. If you're working fixed network cabling regardless if the cables are premade you require a cabling licence. For security, you'll require a licence to install if you're doing it for commercial gain.

There is no grey.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

mtv (12-01-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    The ACMA cabling rules are clear. If you're working fixed network cabling regardless if the cables are premade you require a cabling licence. For security, you'll require a licence to install if you're doing it for commercial gain.

There is no grey.
    Spot on.

By definition, fixed cabling includes any cables which are concealed and/or pass through any wall, floor or ceiling. This includes pre-made cables.

Also, any cabling which 'may' be connected to a telecommunications network requires installation and a compliance certificate issued by a licensed cabler.

Just because cabling isn't currently connected to a telecommunications network doesn't mean it's not capable of being connected at a later time, therefore the cabler must be licensed.

Thanks

Thanks drift, I emailed ACMA today and they were unsure with this type of system so they will look into it further for me and email me a response, i will post it up once I have it so it can help others, i dont see how these systems differ from say a network attached storage device myself or plugging a ps3 into my router, if they require a licence i will get one no question, but so far today I have had 3 people stumped with no definate answer so I will wait to see what ACMA come back with and share with all.

Thanks for all the advice, its greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by impure; 12-01-12 at 01:05 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks drift, I emailed ACMA today and they were unsure with this type of system so they will look into it further for me and email me a response, i will post it up once I have it so it can help others, i dont see how these systems differ from say a network attached storage device myself or plugging a ps3 into my router, if they require a licence i will get one no question, but so far today I have had 3 people stumped with no definate answer so I will wait to see what ACMA come back with and share with all.

Thanks for all the advice, its greatly appreciated.
    There is no difference with data cabling installed for network storage and router connections.

If it's fixed cabling (concealed, passing through any wall, floor, ceiling, enclosure, etc) it must legally be installed by a licensed/registered cabler, regardless if the cables are pre-made or not.

Especially if you intend to offer your services for commercial gain.. you MUST be licensed.

It would not be possible for you to install security camera cabling without it being deemed 'fixed' cabling under the Cabling Rules.

This scenario is entirely different from the home user just connecting an ethernet cable from a computer to a modem with a patch lead that is not 'fixed' cabling.

I don't see why ACMA are unsure about this issue, as Drift said, the ACMA Cabling Rules are very clear.

Did you tell them you intended to offer your installation services for commercial gain to paying clients?

From the ACMA website:

The Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2000 (CPRs) regulate the cabling industry and replaced the previous cabler licensing system with an industry-managed registration scheme.

CPRs ensure that minimum cabling requirements are in place to promote safety and maintain network integrity.

The major requirements of CPRs are that:

1.All customer cabling work in the telecommunications, fire security and data industries must be performed by a registered cabler.
    2.Depending on the cabling work performed, cablers must obtain either an Open, Restricted or Lift registration that meets the ACMA's training competency requirements.
    3.Cabling work must comply with the Wiring Rules. The Wiring Rules detail the minimum requirements for cabling installations to ensure that network integrity and the health and safety of end-users, other cablers and carrier personnel is protected.
    4.A key requirement of the Wiring Rules is that telecommunications cabling is adequately separated or segregated from electrical cabling to avoid creating a dangerous situation.
    5.Cablers are required to install only cabling product (including cable) and customer equipment that complies with the requirements of the Labelling Notice.
    6.Cablers must, at the completion of each cabling task, provide the client (i.e. the customer or employer, whichever is appropriate) with a job sign-off form, such as a Telecommunications Cabling Advice 1 form (TCA1).
    7.Registered cablers must directly supervise an unqualified cabler's cabling work. This is known as the Supervision Rule.
    8.Under the Supervision Rule, a qualified cabler must accept full responsibility for the work done by an unqualified cabler and ensure that it fully complies with the Wiring Rules including signing the TCA1 form.
    9.Cablers must provide all reasonable cooperation and assistance to ACMA inspectors and cabling auditors. Cablers can be subject to fines if they do not abide by their registration conditions.
    10.Cablers are required to notify their registrar of any change of contact details within 21 days.

Thanks

i just got my response.
    Dear Mr Miller

The following response is based on the proviso that the device is fully compliant with all applicable Australian Standards and that said device carries an appropriate Australian compliance mark – one of the following,

Nxxxxx, or Nxxxxx, or Nxxxxx

Note: The Australian based importers and/or manufacturers Supplier Code Number (“NXXXXX”) may be replaced with an Australian Company Number (ACN), Australian Business Number (ABN), Australian Registered Business Number (ARBN), Australian business name and address, personal name and address in Australia or an Australian registered trademark. The compliance logo must be at least 3mm high and the Supplier Code Number must be at least 1mm in height.

Installing the device and the associated camera cables (audio and video by the looks of things) would not require the installed to hold a cabling registration. Nor would installing the Ethernet cable between the DVR and the persons modem.

Regards

*****IMPORTANT NOTE*****
    ‘The information contained in this email and any attachments may be confidential and may be legally privileged or the subject of copyright. This information is intended as a guide only. For this reason, it should not be relied upon as legal or technical advice or regarded as a substitute for legal or technical advice in individual cases. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the email and any attachments to it. Opinions contained in this email or any of its attachments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of ACMA.”
    Last edited by impure; 12-01-12 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks

Looks like those systems are exempt, I just want to make sure im covered, would i need a security licence for this? I think the grey was that the item doesnt plug directly into the phone line it goes into the modem which is already connected to a phone line, the unit does not have a dialler
    Last edited by impure; 12-01-12 at 01:53 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Looks like those systems are exempt, I just want to make sure im covered, would i need a security licence for this? I think the grey was that the item doesnt plug directly into the phone line it goes into the modem which is already connected to a phone line, the unit does not have a dialler
    Please post what you stated in your email to ACMA, so the reply can be interpreted in context.

I get the impression they are not aware you intend to offer installation services for commercial gain.

Yes, if you are selling your security device installation services, you will need a licence.

If you want to make sure you are covered, you should obtain a security installer licence and an open cabling licence, plus public liability insurance, etc, etc.

Thanks

ok ill just get the licence to be safe, I have emailed what i intend to do but to be safe ill just do the course which will enable more scope, thanks again everyone.

Thanks

i sent this again and got this response;

"Please note I wish to do this as a job, so would be installing in other people’s homes, do I need the license in this case? "

response:
    Dear Mr Miller

There are no longer any cabling licenses for telecommunications cabling installers the licenses have been replaced by cabling registrations – as I said in my previous email,

Installing the device and the associated camera cables (audio and video by the looks of things) would not require the installer to hold a cabling registration. Nor would installing the Ethernet cable between the DVR and the persons modem.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast