Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin Topo Au & NZ V3 + MapSource

Thanks

Sucessfully downloaded the zips from the Torrent posted earlier.
    Is this download suitable for a win ce 6 Navi?

Ta Bazzle
    Last edited by bazzle01; 15-03-12 at 06:33 AM.

Thanks

guys i apologize for the delay in replying back to this thread i received the maps from tiny and they work fine now the problem i have is after the floods down here optus signal has crapped out and i am back on sat Internet so uploading is out what i will do if anybody wants a copy of the 3 DVDs pm me your Addy and i will get them in the mail sorry best i can do till optus gets it act together
    IF IT DONT WORK USE A BIGGER HAMMER

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    guys i apologize for the delay in replying back to this thread i received the maps from tiny and they work fine now the problem i have is after the floods down here optus signal has crapped out and i am back on sat Internet so uploading is out what i will do if anybody wants a copy of the 3 DVDs pm me your Addy and i will get them in the mail sorry best i can do till optus gets it act together
    Hi Puca.

Can these be loaded onto a win ce Navi or are they for a Garmin unit only?

Thanks Bazzle

Thanks

It works fine on my chinese winCE 6 - 2 din car unit.

Although I thing it does matter what version of garmin you run - I use XT 5.52.

• The Following User Says Thank You to 2happy For This Useful Post:

bazzle01 (15-03-12)

Thanks

Thanks to the Torrent loader I have been able to put the Map on my wince6 2din. (xt 5.00.30)
    Orig gmapprom.img worked ok. I removed and replaced with the gmapsupp.img

I ran the JM-KG app and changed the gmapsupp.unl and the sw.unl. I had to revert to my orig sw.unl to see satts.

Garmin opens OK and finds satts.
    The map is a yellowy colour with no detail.
    I zoomed in as much as I can but still see no detail.
    In "my maps" it says cannot unlock map with Unit ID: 1111111111 (my unit)

Any clue where to go next?

Thanks Bazzle
    Last edited by bazzle01; 16-03-12 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks

Baz,

How big is the Img file ??? - if it exceeds 2gb, then I'm 99% sure that XT 5.00.xx wont be able to open it, so you'll have to get a Mapsource version and then select the sections you need (lesser than 2 gb total) in order to run it. Or perhaps get Gmaptool and split out the maps you need directly from the Img file - this is perhaps a little complicated if you're not used to the idiosyncratic Mr Garmin!

Alternately, you can get XT 5.52 - I have combined maps of 3.97 gb running on this platform ( I think 4gb is the upper limit for FAT file system on CE)

Thanks

2.8 Gb

Any chance you know where to download XT 5.52 for Win ce6?

Thanks Bazzle

Thanks

Have a look at our friends here:-

)

Note also that this version too has some shortcomings to overcome as do most hacked s/w (ie in this case no keyboard) BUT speed cams do work.

Good luck

(ps at least you don't have to stuff round with card or id no's etc as its already set )

bazzle01 (16-03-12)

Thanks

Thanks again.

I found that earlier but 'MultiUpload" seems to of gone

Any chance of copying yours to the Austech Upload box below?

Bazzle

Thanks

It may not be as simple as that, as I’m sure that you’ve seen that different SD cards have different scripts/config files associated with them (ie Storage Card, StorageCard, SDMMC etc etc are all different).

You’ll find that Garmin is worlds away from Igo/primo (which will run on almost any device) and Mr Garmin doesn’t intend to run his progs on anything BUT garmin hardware - even differing WinCe6 versions can yield better/worse/different results.

Let me know your cards designation and I’ll see if mine’s the same or if I have the appropriate file(s) to insert. Anyway, if not then perhaps revert to Plan “A” that I spoke of yesterday, as you do really need to D/L and become familiar with a cracked version of Garmin Mapsource loaded onto your PC if you intend to make the most of Garmin maps on XT. You can then easily split out 2gb of the 2.8gb total map file which is more than enough to cover wherever you may require and just load this onto you 5.00 XT card.

Thanks

Mine is Storagecard.

Normal maps run OK, I was just interested in running the topo type. I run iGO8.3.5 and Primo 2 normally with Dem files so may just have to go back there.

Bazzle

Thanks

Sorry Baz, my card is designated “Storage_card” so its not going to work for you in any event.

Just because you can run primo with dem files doesn’t have any bearing on what your version of garmin will/won’t run on your hardware. I have found that Garmin is much more titchy than Primo in every way (ie getting the base program to run properly, loading maps, transferring warning alerts and so the lost goes on!) FWIW I use primo exclusively for “on-road” navigation, but its not worth a cracker as soon as you get “off-road” - that’s where Garmin topo comes into its own.

If you still want to get Garmin Topo maps going, then best to go back to my original suggestion of loading Mapsource onto you pc and then just loading the portion of the map file onto your card in img format that you need - keeping below the 2 gb limit. There are in excess of 500 separate maps for Australia alone in Aus Topo v3, so it is a simple matter to get the area you need and keep below the prescribed limit.

Go here :-

Keep in mind though, it will never be as simple as Primo to work with as it was never intended to run on anything BUT Garmin hardware - whereas primo will run on almost anything.

bazzle01 (20-03-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Hi bazzle, looking at the post#16 Garmin Topo Australia and New Zealand v3 Locked IMG with Torrents, that is a locked file img.

So first unlock it using this

If the size of the file is still a problem then you can do as 2happy says & use MapSource to select only the maps you need.

You can wait till puca uploads the files I sent him or you can make your own MapSource version using the .img file you have, after it is unlocked, with GMapTool combined with cGPSmapper as I did to create a MS version.

Now the tricky part here is that this map set seems to have a minimum zoom level of 200 km in MS.
    So you'll need to select the base map of mapsource this is usually "Trip and Waypoint Manager Vx"
    Zoom out to 700 km so you can see all Australia & NZ.
    Now change to the Garmin Topo map set you have created & installed.
    The screen will be blank until you select the 'Map Tool' from the top menu bar.
    You will just get grid squares with no map detail, that's OK, just select the maps from the area you want & the Maps tab at the left will tell you how many KB of maps you have selected.
    Then export them to an SD card using 'send to device' (device can be a card reader or USB stick) to get a gmapsupp.img file of those maps.
    Copy,Paste or move the file to your device card.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Forgot to mention that when a MS version is created using GMapTool the find feature is hobbled in MS, however the gmapsupp.img file created from MapSource still has the find feature etc. enabled on the GPS as per original file.
    Last edited by Tiny; 21-03-12 at 06:30 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

bazzle01 (21-03-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Edit: Forgot to mention that when a MS version is created using GMapTool the find feature is hobbled in MS, however the gmapsupp.img file created from MapSource still has the find feature etc. enabled on the GPS as per original file.
    My apologies here I may have misled you in the above Edit.

The gmapsupp.img created from MapSource using the above method still has the find feature working for my Garmin Etrex Vista, hand held.
    I can use the find feature to search for an address & select it then it will navigate turn by turn to the correct address & so I made an assumption that it would be the same in all GPS.

Not so, for my 1490T Nuvi, when I select Where To/Address it says "No Map Data".
    If I select an address from Favorites or Recently found it will navigate correctly to the destination.
    If there is no "Map Data" to search for an address where does my Etrex get it from
    The original downloaded unlocked.img works perfectly in the Nuvi.

So I can't say for sure how the img will behave in Garmin XT

Sorry for any confusion.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12